• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spidey #1- I have comic in my hands- do I hand over the money??

14 posts in this topic

I have the chance to buy this Spidey for 800$. It is being touted as a VG- (3.5), which it is definately not, thus my 800 price.

The pages are cream/off white, there is no sign of any restoration. The book presents well and is held firmly at the staples. What you cannot see in the scan are the tears/splits along the spine. I've taken some other pics to try to illustrate this. There are the splits on the top and a smaller one the bottom. There are a few in the middle too. They are not noticable without very close looking because of the natural curve of the spine. Once again the comic is quite firm and solid, just a shame there are these splits.

So what is the verdict. What do we think the actual grade is, and is it worth the 800?

1-spidey.jpg[/img]

1-spidey1.jpg[/img]

1spidey004.jpg[/img]

1spidey005.jpg[/img]

1spidey008.jpg[/img]

All good advice. Lots of problems with this book

But if you are really set on buying it, offer $450 and happily walk away if they dont accept.

I think you folks might be a bit harsh on the book. The book is probably a Good (I can't see it as a Good- unless the covers are literally falling apart at the spine), with better eye appeal than many a Good...no huge pieces missing, good color, reasonably solid. From the scans, I'd characterize the spine as "weak" but not quite brittle.

If you're buying it as your keeper copy, I agree with these guys...I'd probably return it and spend a few hundred more to get a better copy. But it's still a Spidey 1, and priced right around OS Guide. Low-grade copies usually sell for more than Guide. If you decide to sell it in a few years, I doubt you'd lose money (assuming there are no flaws beyond what was described) and might even make a few bucks. Maybe offer $650-700, see if he bites.

1.8-

Guide is ~$900 for 1.8, ~$750 for 1.5

I wouldn't go more than ~$600 for it which is about 70% of guide.

I don't know where Ze got $450 from.

:takeit: for $450

:cloud9:

I think you folks might be a bit harsh on the book. The book is probably a Good (I can't see it as a Good- unless the covers are literally falling apart at the spine), with better eye appeal than many a Good...no huge pieces missing, good color, reasonably solid. From the scans, I'd characterize the spine as "weak" but not quite brittle.

If you're buying it as your keeper copy, I agree with these guys...I'd probably return it and spend a few hundred more to get a better copy. But it's still a Spidey 1, and priced right around OS Guide. Low-grade copies usually sell for more than Guide. If you decide to sell it in a few years, I doubt you'd lose money (assuming there are no flaws beyond what was described) and might even make a few bucks. Maybe offer $650-700, see if he bites.

Right on John. I'd grade it GD-(1.8) at best, but it does have "decent" appeal for that grade...can't say it's "brittle" but I don't see many SA with brittleness (not like GA)..$800 isn't silly money for this copy since guide GD2.0 is up to $1,250. There are plentiful and slightly nicer ASM 1's out there to be had for a few bucks more...offer $700 and see what happens...you can afford to be "chosey" with SA keys--unlike GA.

1.8-

That number was just a silly number I threw out there, (: I personally would rather see him wait and save his money and buy a more solid copy when the time comes. While $7-800 might be fmv for a book in this condition, I just dont like throwing money at a book that is close to falling apart(key book or not) when just waiting awhile could possibly land you a much more solid copy.

That said if he offered $450 and they took it then, well then I could see buying it..otherwise I would pass. But that's just me.

1.8-

That number was just a silly number I threw out there, (: I personally would rather see him wait and save his money and buy a more solid copy when the time comes. While $7-800 might be fmv for a book in this condition, I just dont like throwing money at a book that is close to falling apart(key book or not) when just waiting awhile could possibly land you a much more solid copy.

That said if he offered $450 and they took it then, well then I could see buying it..otherwise I would pass. But that's just me.

You don't wanna see my ASM 1 then.

This one looks like a gem compared to it.

:eek: