• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this board an accurate reflection of the hobby?

92 posts in this topic

If you are collecting with future resale value in mind, it is my opinion that anything other than high grade is very risky.

High grade collecting is not without risk either...you could argue that the lower grade prices are actually very stable. It's the high grades that have high volatility, as folks scatter to bid up the first ever 9.4, the new "high census copy", etc.
Sure it all has risk. I'm not sure about lower grades being that stable. They've been falling for years.

Ironically, I wouldn't know since I'm an "egotistical HG elitist". Are you a card carrying member? lol

If you are collecting with future resale value in mind, it is my opinion that anything other than high grade is very risky.

High grade collecting is not without risk either...you could argue that the lower grade prices are actually very stable. It's the high grades that have high volatility, as folks scatter to bid up the first ever 9.4, the new "high census copy", etc.
Sure it all has risk. I'm not sure about lower grades being that stable. They've been falling for years.

Ironically, I wouldn't know since I'm an "egotistical HG elitist". Are you a card carrying member? lol

Speaking of 'cards', have I shown you my 9,8 copy of Jack of Hearts 1??

Hi there,

I think this board is a reflection of one way the hobby has gone. And that is grade-conscious, trying to find really choice copies. I think that there have always been a cadre of collectors who cared deeply about grade. The advent of CGC has really magnified this elite band of collectors. These boards are for those guys.

There are, of course, many collectors who prefer lower and mid grade... and if you talk to dealers like Doug Sulipa, you will realize there is a huge 'silent majority' out there who love books in lower grade, for their readability and affordability.

So, actually I do think that this board reflects the hobby... the part of the hobby that has ALWAYS loved high grade.

Shep

I'm mainly interested in affordable copies of the top ten or so SA Marvel keys, the stuff I could never have as a kid. My price point is in the $700-$1700 range (although that could be stretched for the right deal).

That's a great price-point to collect these at, and you've probably seen this will get you a Good-ish copy of most books, slightly lower for the biggies (AF 15, FF 1), maybe nicer for books like ST 110 or Daredevil 1. Those types of books are just as enthusiastically received around here as HG copies. Furthermore, if you look at GA books, they are collected in all grades...as are early SA books. For post-1965 and later books, it's pretty much either a "reader", or a "NM gem" with mid-grade books analagous to "commons" in the card market.

That said, there are certainly a lot of HG collectors that enjoy sharing their books on these forums, but most of the criticism that I see is aimed at HG collectors (like JC calling them "insane whackos" above) and putting them down as investors, etc.,.. I rarely see HG collectors making condascending posts about low-mid grade books and those that collect them...

Yup. There seems to be a misconception that most collectors around these parts are hi grade.They're not.

I think it comes down to perception. The hi grade books are flashy and get shown a lot but I'll bet there are 100's of guys here with 10,000's of books with full runs of low and mid grade.

R.

edit: there are gals too. sorry.

I'm mainly interested in affordable copies of the top ten or so SA Marvel keys, the stuff I could never have as a kid. My price point is in the $700-$1700 range (although that could be stretched for the right deal).

That's a great price-point to collect these at, and you've probably seen this will get you into around a Good copy of most books, slightly lower for the biggies (AF 15, FF 1), maybe a little nicer for books like ST 110 or Daredevil 1. I think those types of books are just as enthusiastically received as HG copies. Furthermore, if you look at GA books, they are collected in all grades...for post-1965 and later books, it's pretty much either a reader, or a NM gem with mid-grade books analagous to "commons" in the card market.

That said, there are certainly a lot of HG collectors that enjoy sharing their books on these forums, but most of the "criticism" that I see comes from members criticizing HG collectors (like JC calling them "insane whackos" above) and putting them down as "investors", etc.,.. I rarely see HG collectors making condascending posts about low-mid grade books...

:roflmao:

I rarely see HG collectors making condascending posts about low-mid grade books and those that collect them...

That's because they can't be bothered; such books are beneath their contempt. Some HG collectors here have even likened them to TOILET PAPER! :grin:

:jokealert:

I rarely see HG collectors making condascending posts about low-mid grade books and those that collect them...

That's because they can't be bothered; such books are beneath their contempt. Some HG collectors here have even likened them to TOILET PAPER! :grin:

Well I did sit on your AA naked before I mailed it out.

R.

Is this true? The copies of FF1, AF15, etc, that fall into my price range are obviously lower-end. Again, I'm not buying to invest, but since my collection will only total about ten books once complete, I imagine after a while I'll be in upgrade mode. If I buy a $1500 Hulk 1 today, am I likely to take a hit on it later when I'm ready for a better copy? I know no one can predict the future, but it seems to me like these are desirable books and that there would always be people like me who would like to own them without spending a small fortune.

Also, I know this is a CGC board, but CGC does have grades below 9.4, doesn't it? I'll be very lucky to break 5.0 on the books I'm after.

That's a great price-point to collect these at, and you've probably seen this will get you into around a Good copy of most books, slightly lower for the biggies (AF 15, FF 1), maybe a little nicer for books like ST 110 or Daredevil 1. I think those types of books are just as enthusiastically received as HG copies. Furthermore, if you look at GA books, they are collected in all grades...for post-1965 and later books, it's pretty much either a reader, or a NM gem with mid-grade books analagous to "commons" in the card market.

That said, there are certainly a lot of HG collectors that enjoy sharing their books on these forums, but most of the "criticism" that I see comes from members criticizing HG collectors (like JC calling them "insane whackos" above) and putting them down as "investors", etc.,.. I rarely see HG collectors making condascending posts about low-mid grade books...

:roflmao:

Jokingly, yeah, but never with the venom that "evil investors" or "HG snobs" are referred to.

Well I did sit on your AA naked before I mailed it out.

R.

:sick:

Next time can Louise do it instead?

Is this true? The copies of FF1, AF15, etc, that fall into my price range are obviously lower-end. Again, I'm not buying to invest, but since my collection will only total about ten books once complete, I imagine after a while I'll be in upgrade mode. If I buy a $1500 Hulk 1 today, am I likely to take a hit on it later when I'm ready for a better copy? I know no one can predict the future, but it seems to me like these are desirable books and that there would always be people like me who would like to own them without spending a small fortune.

Also, I know this is a CGC board, but CGC does have grades below 9.4, doesn't it? I'll be very lucky to break 5.0 on the books I'm after.

No, low-grade Silver Age keys have not been falling in price...neither have non-key early SA books (pre-1964), but after that, non-key books after the 1968+ Marvel explosion have declined in value in anything below NM.

Speaking of 'cards', have I shown you my 9,8 copy of Jack of Hearts 1??

That is so last week, we just had a cards cover thread just the other day. Lots of pretty scans of books folks have. I definitely showed my wares; it was extreme vanity let me tell you! And don't even talk to me about petty 9.8s...9.9s or better for me. Hmpfh.

That said, there are certainly a lot of HG collectors that enjoy sharing their books on these forums, but most of the criticism that I see is aimed at HG collectors (like JC calling them "insane whackos" above)

Whoa, I never called high-grade COLLECTORS "insane whackos", only those who incessantly post the same CGC scans over and over.

That's not "sharing", it's brow-beating.

I hope my use of the term "elitist" hasn't offended, that was not my intent. I'd be one too if I could afford it.
It's only offensive of you preface it with 'VCC'.

Then it's all over! :sumo:

:jokealert:

TP for your bunghole :kidaround: