• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the best comic investment decision you ever made?

70 posts in this topic

During the Valiant craze in the early-mid 1990s, I traded a Turok #12 to a guy straight across for a beat up Hulk #1. The Hulk #1 is in horrible shape (and missing the cf), but I am still happy with my decision!

Dan

I paid top dollar for a stellar run of original owner bronze Spidey books. They all slabbed 9.6-9.8 and I made about 20x what I paid.

I think I paid like a dollar for X-Men #1 purchased slightly used at my local book/used comic book store circa 1969...have held onto it for approx. 40 years and just finally sent it in to CGC and it came back 7.0...current GPA value $4500... :o

Also paid 50-cents for my FF 1 in 1971 which is in 2.5-3.0 grade/range...ordered it from a fanzine ad... :headbang:

Stopped buying moderns (I really haven't done anything too smart)

that might be the smartest "investment" decision of all.

But,...

I still buy moderns for what a comic was originally intended for...

reading and enjoyment.

:cloud9:

always bought high grade

Me too - always bought HG - best unconscious decision I ever made. Never liked the ragged beaters.

Another decision that was excellent was to keep buying HG SA even when I was dirt poor after college - from about 1985 - 1991. You could get NM copies of the last 30 issues of TOS, TTA and ST for about $2 up until about 1990. I thought that prices were outrageously low, and bought all the duplicates I could find of these and other books.

I bought a few copies of Star Wars #1 about 3 years ago. 25 or so in total. Sent them in to be graded and I had 7 or 8 of them come back 9.8, the rest 9.6 and 9.4.

Paid $25 each and grading fee's. The first one I sold recouped all my money. The rest went towards me buying my Hulk #1.

So I essentially turned 25 copies of Sar Wars #1 into a FN+ Hulk #1 :banana:

The best decision I ever made started as a compulsion in 1975 and continues to this day.

Buying Timelys!

They cost less thirty, twenty, even ten years ago.

And I think they are still inexpensive, relatively speaking.

Bought Superman 2-100 for $22k and had to borrow money to do it. Paid it back within 6 months. Issues 2-14 were restored as the owner was buying these in the 80's, but the rest were blue label and about 30 graded 6.0 to 8.5

I bought a few copies of Star Wars #1 about 3 years ago. 25 or so in total. Sent them in to be graded and I had 7 or 8 of them come back 9.8, the rest 9.6 and 9.4.

Paid $25 each and grading fee's. The first one I sold recouped all my money. The rest went towards me buying my Hulk #1.

So I essentially turned 25 copies of Sar Wars #1 into a FN+ Hulk #1 :banana:

:banana: Yeah, The "Star Wars #1" story!!!!! :headbang::headbang::headbang:

Back in 1991, I traded a mid-grade Gretzky rookie card (free from my aunt in a big box of cards she gave me), a Jim Abbott Upper Deck error card (that I got out of a pack) and something else equally worthless that I can't remember...for my G/VG X-Men #1.

Great deal for me!