• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How long is too long to wait for a commission

57 posts in this topic

Ok...ok...I hate to the voice of reason here...but if you're waiting 5 years for a piece of OA, you're crazy. I'll let those with insane goals slide, (like super large OA, awkward DPSes and those with lots of demands).

...if an artist has a 5 year wait list, I'll buy some other OA from this artists (rather than a personalized commission.

However, I now find myself conflicted, because I would probably wait a good while for a Dale Keown Hulk piece...

Crazy?

Sounds about right. I made a deal for my commission in 2003. At 2005 SDCC the artist said "It'll be done by June, Promise". I asked if he realized that it was July already. So he ammended and said by the end of next month. This year (2008) he PROMISED it would be done by the end of the year. I already own a cover by him, but I really want this commission. He has obviously had time to complete other work for the big 2, he just has bad time management with commissions. But I see lately he has gotten a 'rep' who has posted his rates on comicartcommissions.com and they are about triple what I paid. I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but I would much rather have the pic he will be painting than th emoney back. I love his art i guess.

Ok...ok...I hate to the voice of reason here...but if you're waiting 5 years for a piece of OA, you're crazy. I'll let those with insane goals slide, (like super large OA, awkward DPSes and those with lots of demands).

...if an artist has a 5 year wait list, I'll buy some other OA from this artists (rather than a personalized commission.

However, I now find myself conflicted, because I would probably wait a good while for a Dale Keown Hulk piece...

Keown? Commission? BWA HA HAAA!!! Keown commission...those two words do not belong in the same sentance. Believe me, I know :P

But I see lately he has gotten a 'rep' who has posted his rates on comicartcommissions.com

Rhetorical: How does a guy who is 5 years behind on his commission work manage to receive a rating of 5 stars in each category?

Answering nonetheless: Because the people are willing to wait until God has been tracked down and made accountable. Oh, that issue was published years ago? Huh. Well, then the answer is that people are willing to wait. It just doesn't matter.

There have been a few artists with excellent reasons for being unable to execute a commission in a 5 year window, but if your guy has a rep now it might be time to ask a question or two. I'm sure you've phoned him once or twice over the years and it's not just a matter of relying on an annual SDCC meeting.

The inevitable addendum to the original question is: does your fear of a subpar commission override your desire to put pressure on the artist to complete the art? (not specifically to MNSN.)

There are so many different collectors involved in this hobby, and aspects of this hobby (such as: golden age, silver age, modern, covers, commissions, sketches, remarques), that the people who wander into the commission side of things pretty much know what they are getting into and waiting patiently is a big part of it.

I'm not into commissions. The disappointment would be too much for me.

7 minutes ago, wurstisart said:

Anyone any recent Michael Golden experience ?

Was given an email address by Golden through social media to arrange things.

In the meantime I have sent 3 emails with zero response.

As with any commission, the GOLDEN rule states "Patience is a Virue"

:acclaim:

8 minutes ago, mister_not_so_nice said:

As with any commission, the GOLDEN rule states "Patience is a Virue"

:acclaim:

Haha...that was quite a story back then.

Anyone knows what happened to that particular piece ? Wasn’t it for sale at one point ?

I thought it would be great to have a Michael Golden commission of the Micronauts.  But every time I have seen him at a table at a con I thought of this story.

I waited two years for a Bill Sienkievich commission.  I told him to take as long as he needed to, that I wasn't in a rush, but to make it as good as possible.  I would frequently remind him when I would see him at cons.  When I got it, it was worth the wait.

15 hours ago, wurstisart said:

So does anyone have any recent Michael Golden experience or success ?

I had one a few years ago.  Wanted a con sketch - he didnt finish it at the show.  Wanted 1/2 upfront since it was laid out.  Paid it and sweated it out - remembered the golden rule.   Few months later emailed his rep and this followed with the package arriving to my house shortly.   Commission came out amazing.   All in a really good experience for me despite having some concern.  

48 minutes ago, wurstisart said:

That’s the person I have sent 3 emails to with ZERO response 

If it was me, and t was this hard to even start the conversation with them, I would just not bother.

Imagine how the communication would be after you paid them when it's this hard when you are trying to give them money.

Malvin

The very first commission I ever paid for ($350) back in 2005(?) never materialized.  Part of my mind (the crazy part way in the back) thinks I am still waiting.

On a positive note the experience quickly shifted me to buying interior pages instead and I've never looked back.  

Edited by FlexMentallo

all true and alerting. 

i am (was) considering a cover redo and not a “simple” commission and since it is his cover I can’t or will just not ask anyone else.

That would be weird.

Maybe I will find the original one day and go after that one ...

1 hour ago, Lucky Baru said:

I wish that someone would take one of these situations to a small claims court, and get a judgement. 

It is bound to happen when the collector and artist are in the same state. If/when it does and Bleeding Cool runs the story it might motivate some artists to make good on broken deals.