• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: What will Iron Man pull domestically this weekend?

Iron Man Domestic Box office  

339 members have voted

1. 1. Iron Man Domestic Box office

61 posts in this topic

Saw it at the Drive Inn last night. TIt was fun but a little windy and I need a better boombox. I loved the the movie!

Sounds like you had a good time at the drive inn.

Did either of you see any of the movie?

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Saw it at the Drive Inn last night. TIt was fun but a little windy and I need a better boombox. I loved the the movie!

Sounds like you had a good time at the drive inn.

Did either of you see any of the movie?

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Typo...we had the kids and our parents went with us. So no rockin in the van going on.

So it looks like it made about a hundred million overseas too. I firmly convinced that Robert Downey Jr.'s casting was significant to this movies success. It screamed out that this film was not going to be your typical superhero flick. I also think that Downey's wisecracking really captured the spirit of Marvel in the silver age.

its currently in an eight way tie for third fastest movie to reach $100 million(3 days) - only spidey 3 and pirates of the carribean dead mans chest got there faster(2 days) - this movie is definitely going to be big!

i hope they wait til the third movie to introduce the alcoholism theme - next film needs a great villian and should be about iron man flying high and showing how great a guy he is with his new lease on life. The alcoholism theme would create conflict but it would feel rushed if they introduce into the next film. My opinion is let everybody get to know this great new tony stark and see him soar before he is brought down again by inner conflict.

That for me was one of the problems with the spidey movies condensing too many plotlines and stirring up too much innner conflict all the time. A heroic character should be checkered with highs and lows not constantly overwhelmed by them. I also hate when story tellers use the "its a small world" theme.Look at spidey 3 - they introduce the lame idea that sandman shot uncle ben to create tension and drama about the story. First it means that a man who just so happened to kill uncle ben just so happens to gain a super power even more miraculous than spidey- gee what a small world when everyone spidey knows happens to gain super powers. Next it results in beating the dead horse of uncle ben's murder as a plot line- do we really need to revisit this in the third movie? In my opinion it was a big mistake. rantrant

That for me was one of the problems with the spidey movies condensing too many plotlines and stirring up too much innner conflict all the time. A heroic character should be checkered with highs and lows not constantly overwhelmed by them. I also hate when story tellers use the "its a small world" theme.Look at spidey 3 - they introduce the lame idea that sandman shot uncle ben to create tension and drama about the story. First it means that a man who just so happened to kill uncle ben just so happens to gain a super power even more miraculous than spidey- gee what a small world when everyone spidey knows happens to gain super powers. Next it results in beating the dead horse of uncle ben's murder as a plot line- do we really need to revisit this in the third movie? In my opinion it was a big mistake. rantrant

Spidey 3 was a big mistake, period.

Well, boxofficemojo listed the production budget as $140 million. So, Iron Man with its $201 million world wide take has made back its money and then some. Hopefully, Marvel Studios will use Iron Man as the blueprint for the rest of the movies they produce.

link

well, this isn't remotely how hollywood accounting works: first off- the theaters get 50% of the BO. the production budget is $140mm, prints & ads will probably run $50mm, paramount gets a % for distribution, you'd have to know if any of the major players have back end deals- like does downey or favreau get a % of the BO gross or a % of the net. yes, this film will be very profitable but it certainly isn't there after 3 days.

Well, boxofficemojo listed the production budget as $140 million. So, Iron Man with its $201 million world wide take has made back its money and then some. Hopefully, Marvel Studios will use Iron Man as the blueprint for the rest of the movies they produce.

link

well, this isn't remotely how hollywood accounting works: first off- the theaters get 50% of the BO. the production budget is $140mm, prints & ads will probably run $50mm, paramount gets a % for distribution, you'd have to know if any of the major players have back end deals- like does downey or favreau get a % of the BO gross or a % of the net. yes, this film will be very profitable but it certainly isn't there after 3 days.

You are right. Maybe by the end of next weekend it will be profitable.

You are right. Maybe by the end of next weekend it will be profitable.

Don't forget, though, about ALL of the licensed merchandise. I wonder how much of a studio's profits these days comes from the action figures, lunchboxes, t-shirts, and tea cozies that are emblazoned with the movie logo and graphics. Seems you can't walk into a retail store or toy store without seeing this stuff. I went into a party store for Hello Kitty plates/cups/etc yesterday, and the IM stuff was front and center.

Listed as earning an estimated $104.25 mil (thumbs u Just over $200 mil worldwide.

I'm still trying to hold off seeing this movie until Friday, but with most of the boardies lovin' it that is going to be hard to do :insane:

Might have to see it tomorrow at this rate but want to save the geek for next week! (thumbs u

well, this isn't remotely how hollywood accounting works: first off- the theaters get 50% of the BO. the production budget is $140mm, prints & ads will probably run $50mm, paramount gets a % for distribution, you'd have to know if any of the major players have back end deals

Not to mention that the % back on global receipts is much lower than North American, and the distribution costs are much higher.

That's why it's still about US and Canada, but Iron Man still did extremely well, with about $100 million est.

The big factor is how much of a drop off in tickets sales will next week/weekend bring. Does this movie have "legs" like Titantic did where there was not much of a drop off from week to week.

i think it's more a question of "does it have a historic hulk/ff 60%+ drop-off or is it down a more palatable 40%?" i'd suspect w/ the good word of mouth, it'll be much closer to down 40%. that would put it on track for $300mm+.