• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HELP! Seriously...An Ebay Purchase/Shipping Problem

6 posts in this topic

I'd really appreciate your input concerning a situation I find myself in.

I purchased the following Larry Hama Superman original art sketch:

The Purchase in Question

Note that it's stated

International bidders may not bid.
(I'm in Canada).

Not that I usually let that stop me, I sent an email to the sellers (a proud member of Metropolis Collectibles (metropoliscomics) of Manhattan... confused.gif) asking if they would consider shipping to Canada. The following is the reply I received from a Tyler Durden:

Dear David,

I'd do the item and shipping for a total of $50. Otherwise, I'll have to

stick domestic.

Thanks,

Ben

This for a $4.95 item... 893frustrated.gif.

Fine...I have a friend who has a PO box on the other side of the border. It doesn't say anywhere that they won't ship to PO boxes, so I place my bid and subsequentially win the auction for $4.95 plus $6.00 shipping and insurance (a bargain!).

I receive this email after the auction close from Ben Smith:

Dear David,

Congratulations on winning the auction. As you may remember, you inquired prior to bidding about changing my policy of domestic only bidding. Is it a safe assumption that since you bid, the terms of my response regarding payment are acceptable? Please let me know.

Thanks,

Ben Smith

-----------------------------------

Director of Marketing

Metropolis Collectibles

873 Broadway, Suite 201

New York, NY 10003

P: (212) 260-4147

F: (212) 260-4304

Obviously $50.00 USD is quite unacceptable for a $10.95 purchase ($46.05 is a lot of money to ship an 8x10 piece of paper from NY to Montreal).

I reply:

Actually, I was able to secure a mailing address just over the border that a couple of friends of mine use.

I am just waiting to confirm the shipping address, and I will promptly Paypal yo the total of $10.95 USD.

Thanks,

David

It was at this point that I sent payment (before I had confirmed the address with my friend).

I get back to Mr. Smith with the address, and soon after get this reply:

Thanks David. Unfortunately, UPS doesn't deliver to PO Boxes. Is there an alternate address to which I can ship?

Sincerely,

Ben

After reviewing the auction once more, I reply:

Would it be possible for you to ship the item USPS instead? After having reviewed the auction once again, there is no specification as to which carrier would be used.

Thanks,

David

His response:

Dear David,

Shipping USPS means I have to go out of my way to ship a $4.95 item, rather than using the UPS service that comes to my office every day. If you've ever been to a PO in NYC, you spend at least a half an hour in line. For a sketch I'm making a $1.50 commission on, I hope you can understand why it would be a major waste of my time and my company's money (because I have to do it during the day when I should be at work).

I'll do it if you really want me to, but I would appreciate it if you could try to provide a normal address. I never have these type of difficulties with domestic buyers, which is why I usually only ship domestic, but I made an exception for you. I realize it wasn't mentioned in the auction, but I'd nonetheless appreciate it if you could look into providing a regular address to ship to.

Let me know. Thanks.

Ben

At this point, what do you think I should do? I must add that they have obviously been very courteous and have responded to my emails very quickly, and this is not a rag on them (except a little for the $46.05 shipping to Canada, but I digress...).

What do you think I should do?

Seems pretty cut and dried. If he's a businessman, he'll suck it up and learn from it. The auction did not specify UPS.

Maybe throw in a couple of extra bucks for the trouble. No way I would pay $50 total. That was obviously a made up number intended to discourage you from bidding.

Just thought I'd mention that I've had several conversations with Ben concerning Metropolis Productions and he's a really nice guy. I wouldn't want you guys to get the wrong impression about him.

Definitly...as quoted from my original post:

At this point, what do you think I should do? I must add that they have obviously been very courteous and have responded to my emails very quickly, and this is not a rag on them (except a little for the $46.05 shipping to Canada, but I digress...).

Donut...thanks for the offer, and I might just take you up on that. I'm waiting for one other friend who has a friend with a HOUSE in the US, so I'll let you know... thumbsup2.gifflowerred.gif