• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Complete sets

73 posts in this topic

So what complete sets are anyone trying to complete?

I finished a Jimmy Olsen collection last year, and an persuing a complete Superboy collection now. I really like the challenge of completeing an entire run of books.

I'm going to Vegas this weekend hoping to make a big dent in the 16 books I still need to complete my X-Men full run as well as every Silver Age crossover of the X-Men. The only high dollar book I have left is #1 so hopefully the other 15 will come easy. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I've been chipping away at 80 Page Giants over the years. I think i'm about 75% complete at this point.

Otherwise, I tend to go for runs of cool covers, rather than entire series. So, I'm close to complete on World's Finest 100-150 and JLA 1-40.

Same thing with Golden Age. I'll never afford a complete run of Supes or Action, but I'm complete on Supes 10-20 and Action 52-63, my favorite runs of covers for those titles.

A full Jimmy Olsen run? Cool. What were the toughest books?

In my opinion the hardest is the 4 and 11, although there are many below #25 that are difficult to get. Believe it or not, #73 was the last issue I got, but it is in no way rare, in fact none of the issues above 30 or so are rare.

rarity only really is considered on these books in terms of condition, some are ridiculously rare above fine.

The #1 I have was pricey, but its a nice mid grade copy.

Superboy is going to be much harder to complete than JO because it ran 5 years earlier. It will also be much more expensive.

I've been chipping away at 80 Page Giants over the years. I think i'm about 75% complete at this point.

I completed the 80 Page Giant 1-15 regular set some time ago, it's a great run.

Getting all the other issues would be a bit toughter, esepcially that Young Love #69 (I think thats the one) it's insanely rare.

I'm going to Vegas this weekend hoping to make a big dent in the 16 books I still need to complete my X-Men full run as well as every Silver Age crossover of the X-Men. The only high dollar book I have left is #1 so hopefully the other 15 will come easy. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

What grades are your run in?

Well I still need 34 issues to have Fantastic Four #1 - #500...complete

The first Silver Age series that I'll have completed, after about 10 Bronze Age series....

No idea how I'll afford a FF#1 though... confused-smiley-013.gif

The first Silver Age series that I'll have completed, after about 10 Bronze Age series....

After ditching my 12-200 set of FF back in the '70's, I've resigned myself to getting 101-200 and the rest as Masterworks.

That is, unless I win the lottery.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

After ditching my 12-200 set of FF back in the '70's, I've resigned myself to getting 101-200 and the rest as Masterworks.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I was all set to collect #50 - #500 and get the earlier ones in Masterworks...

And then I buy a mixed lot of Silver Age Marvels and FF issues 49 and 46 are present....so for some unknow reason I decide to collect #40 - #50 as well...and then Chrisco rubs all those nice early Doom covers in my face and I end up buying FF #5.....That's when I decided to stop fooling myself and go for the full series, eventhough by now I have #1 - #60 in Masterworks as well.... confused-smiley-013.gif

But I'm still sticking to my plan of getting ASM #50 - #500 and the first 50 in Masterworks format (need about 61 issues)

Oh and Avengers #50 - 500 as well..... 893frustrated.gif

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I was all set to collect #50 - #500 and get the earlier ones in Masterworks...

And then I buy a mixed lot of Silver Age Marvels and FF issues 49 and 46 are present....so for some unknow reason I decide to collect #40 - #50 as well...and then Chrisco rubs all those nice early Doom covers in my face and I end up buying FF #5.....That's when I decided to stop fooling myself and go for the full series, eventhough by now I have #1 - #60 in Masterworks as well.... confused-smiley-013.gif

But I'm still sticking to my plan of getting ASM #50 - #500 and the first 50 in Masterworks format (need about 61 issues)

Oh and Avengers #50 - 500 as well..... 893frustrated.gif

I can definitely relate. Fantastic Four would be the one series that would sorely tempt me to ditch the Masterworks...

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I completed the 80 Page Giant 1-15 regular set some time ago, it's a great run.

Getting all the other issues would be a bit toughter, esepcially that Young Love #69 (I think thats the one) it's insanely rare.

The Young Love #69 must be one of the 68 Page Giants. If memory serves, the first 56 issues are 80 pagers. If I had to peg the toughest issues to find in high grade, I'd probably go with the OAAW #164 and #177. Not hard to find in lower grades, but tough in 9.4 or better.

What condition are you guys trying to buy?

If I really wanted a set, I would get the older books in Good to Very Good and progressively raise the grade as the books become less expensive.

Near Mint-Mint, of course! shocked.gif

I was somewhat spoiled by having 12-200 in no worse than VF, so I would rather get the Masterworks than get something in a lesser grade. I guess that's my quirk.

That, and even in Fair, FF #1 would set me back more than all of the Masterworks combined.

Also, I've gotten to the point that I'm wanting the story more than the issue for a lot of books. So, for me, Masterworks seem an acceptable compromise... or a tpb, in the case of some Bronze Avengers arcs.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

What grades are your run in?

I buy the best I feel like I can afford. How that breaks down is most of my run are NM, but some of the high dollar books are below NM with the expectation to upgrade as I can afford it. Basically from #95 - present the run is NM. 1-66 are mostly VF/NM or NM. Books like #2, 12 and a few others are less. Also, most of my collection is raw.

I need Mystery Men #7 to complete #s 1-8. Cool Lou Fine covers. I need Mystic #4 to have #1-8 there as well. I need the pocket size Speed #14-16 to have Speed #1-16. Since those are pocket size I'm in no rush to get them. I need All Winners #1 to have the first 5 but it's out of my price range. Stuff like that. My main interest is single digit Golden Age issues - I completed most of the Silver Age and Bronze a long time ago. smile.gif

So what complete sets are anyone trying to complete?

I am a total completist, to the point of being an obsession . So far

X-men - very high grade complete with multiple copies, only 20 issues under 8.0. Now I am trying to get all 9.4's and above.

Captain America 1968- complete, will look for upgrades after X-men and ASM.

Daredevil - complete, will look for upgrades after X-men and ASM.

Iron Man - complete, will look for upgrades after X-men and ASM.

ASM - high grade , complete with multiple copies, working on replacing anything less then 9.0.

Star Trek Gold Key and all other companies - high grade complete with multiple copies. Need high grade copy of issue one for it to be truly complete.

Avengers - need 20 issues to complete, weak on early issues.

FF - need about 20 issues. Not as high grade as I would like, weak on early issues.

Vampirella ( original series) - need 11 issues.

Savage Sword of Conan and regular Conan series - complete, will be looking for upgrades of issue 1 on the regular series.

Mad - this is my next endeavor. I only have 20 issues under 50. Luckily, I have issue 1 and 2 so the rest will not be as difficult.

Unfortunately, my business dries up during the winter time so I am more limited to buying during the summer time.

Tomega

Unfortunately, my business dries up during the winter time so I am more limited to buying during the summer time.

Based on your list, I could do quite nicely with your summer time income...

Thanks,

Fan4Fan