• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do collectors feel about Cap #75?

46 posts in this topic

My other observation is that Vault of Horror and Crypt of Terror are listed as the 1st Horror comics with a cover date of April-May 1950 but this Cap #75 is listed as a February 1950 cover date. I assumed Atlas was following a trend at this point, but in actuality it is leading the trend, isn't it?

Overstreet makes a odd distinction between "supernatural" and "horror" comics. Most collectors consider Avon's Eerie one-shot from 1947 to be the first horror comic, and Adventures into the Unknown from ACG to be the first horror series - the first issue cover dated Fall, 1948.

Interestingly Overstreet refers to Amazing Mysteries #32 (May 1949) as Marvel's first horror comic - so they aren't exactly consistent in their designations.

Is Overstreet trying to indicate that Vault of Horror is the first horror comic or horror comic title? Either is laughable but then I haven't bought a Guide in years.

They designate Vault #12 and Crypt #17 as co-first horror comics - I'll be charitable and guess that it's deliberately incorrect information to catch someone plagarizing the guide's info.

Overstreet was part of the original EC fandom back in 1954 so perhaps he actually believes it but that doesn't make it any less silly of an assertion.

Half spoon pedigree?

Tsk, tsk, tsk Jim.

Just because Joe and CGC are battling over the Diamond Run pedigree doesn't make it a spoon pedigree. The AF #15 9.4 Diamond run copy also came from that "spoon" pedigree.

I have seen quite a few of the Diamond Run Silver age runs. I wouldn't say they were too shabby. The Silver Age books were very very nice.

As far as Timely's go they generally have cream to offwhite pages. A Timely with offwhite or better page quality is a bonus, not a given.

Half spoon pedigree?

Tsk, tsk, tsk Jim.

Just because Joe and CGC are battling over the Diamond Run pedigree doesn't make it a spoon pedigree. The AF #15 9.4 Diamond run copy also came from that "spoon" pedigree.

I have seen quite a few of the Diamond Run Silver age runs. I wouldn't say they were too shabby. The Silver Age books were very very nice.

As far as Timely's go they generally have cream to offwhite pages. A Timely with offwhite or better page quality is a bonus, not a given.

The gloss and spines on the Diamond Run books I've seen are VERY hard to beat.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Half spoon pedigree?

Tsk, tsk, tsk Jim.

There are some very pretty GA books that Fagan owned as well. The half *spoon* adjective applies to the word "pedigree" and is not unreasonable if it did not meet the criteria of a pedigree -- books off of the newstand from a single source.

Bob: I never said it was a spoon pedigree, I said it was a half azzed pedigree, something quite different. Either my free advertising will a:) help you sell the book or b:) I'll be buying it in Chicago (I'd buy it in Detroit but your not going) , so either way it's sold :)

Jim

After just getting off the phone with Bob, I'd like to retract my harsh statement about the Diamond Run...from now on I will refer to the collection as "quarter azzed" and not half :)

Jim

So, did you buy the book? I was just asking Bob about the same book two weeks ago.

BTW, spill the beans on the Diamond Run. What is it?

R.

Danny: Yes I've been bitten :)

Jim

:applause:

....he has no idea what monstrous forces he has unleashed upon himself...GOD BLESS...

Well I thought I made my debut to GA collecting a few weeks ago in NYCC with this...

NYCC016.jpg

but I'm told it's not old enough if I want to make a real splash :)

Jim

Precode....it's golden enough for me.If you ever get a chance to get a reader,that issue is well worth it.I put together 34-42 in the 90's....never got a 33 and I had more trouble(and fun)with that run than almost anything else.Man they're cool.Another tough run in the 90's for me was the Kirby Challengers...easier now since the Archives were released.GOD BLESS...

After just getting off the phone with Bob, I'd like to retract my harsh statement about the Diamond Run...from now on I will refer to the collection as "quarter azzed" and not half :)

Jim

Bob is very convincing. But don't let him fool you.

As pedigrees go, the Diamond Runs are "full azzed".

But there are some very nice books in that collection.

Danny: Yes I've been bitten :)

Jim

And I was just discussing your Silver Age WM Hero Quest with you only 3 weeks ago! doh!

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

The WM quest will live on forever...just a sprinkling of a little GA here and there for the months when White Mountain's don't show up. I haven't bought a WM since NYC and I am going through some serious withdrawl. Good thing Stephen found another early Journey into Mystery for me to pick up in Detroit :)

Jim

The WM quest will live on forever...just a sprinkling of a little GA here and there for the months when White Mountain's don't show up. I haven't bought a WM since NYC and I am going through some serious withdrawl. Good thing Stephen found another early Journey into Mystery for me to pick up in Detroit :)

Jim

How about we make an agreement and you stay away from all those sweet JIM books.

:frustrated:

I promise to stay away from all non pedigreed J.I.M's honest :)

Jim

I promise to trade all the WM JIM books I find for non WM JIMs.

:baiting: