• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mystery Tales #40 on "LOST" tonight

50 posts in this topic

no that's America....:lol: wish I had a few laying around.

Yeah , maybe someone can tell us what that story is about ? ..Or better yet , scan some of the interior panels for us ?.... :foryou:.....BH

Is anybody here still as obsessed/intrigued with this book as I am? I watched LOST religiously, and would still probably rank it in my top three TV shows of all time. I still vividly remember the episode "Cabin Fever" where this issued was featured, and recall how crazy the LOST forums were afterward in trying to figure out the connections between the stories in the comic and the events on the show. At the time pf the episode (2008), I hadn't got back into collecting comics again, so it wouldn't be until years later after I had returned to the hobby that I earnestly set out to find a copy. Of course by that time, prices were insane, thanks in part to a mysterious eBay bidder who was buying every copy that came up for sale, no matter the price. Thankfully, my quest came to an end a few weeks ago, and I found what I thought was a decent enough copy. Finally holding it in my hands probably bought as much excitement to me as when I bought my AF #15 or 'Tec #29. I'm still carefully reading the stories to see if I can pick out any particular connections with the show, and to finally figure out what was the secret of the "mysterious hidden land."

19622941226_9d042d556c_c.jpg

Lost fanatic myself. ( my ring tone on my phone is still the opening sound of the show)

I still visit what forums and web sites are left and watch the show whenever i can or see it on TV. . Remember visiting the Dark UFO website all day. Show will be back one day. They bring everything back eventually. The Xfiles is now back. Even the creators of the show said ABC owns the shows rights and was a hit show so ABC can do what they want with it and eventually they will do something with it. . Hope its back one day. And congrats on getting that comic finally.

Always just wanted to read it but have never found a digital copy. Marvel has not put it on their Marvel unlimited ap either. There was one copy that went for far less than GPA over on Clink a few months ago but even then it was expensive for what it was.

It is a novelty read for me due to the connection to the show. But I really really really really want to read it.

Mystery Tales 40 has serious legs. The book is really hard to find in any grade. Here's mine, which I pulled out of a back room in a store in Pennsylvania.

mysterytales040.jpeg

Mystery Tales 40 has serious legs. The book is really hard to find in any grade. Here's mine, which I pulled out of a back room in a store in Pennsylvania.

Does it really have serious legs, or is it that most of the copies that surfaced over the last 6 or 7 years were bought by people who way, way overpaid for it? Now that the speculation is over, they can't bring themselves to sell it at actual value.

This was a $40 book in mid-grade until it showed up on Lost.

I found a GD copy in the wild for $30 in 2013 while on vacation (in PA, coincidentally). I put it on ebay with a $1K BIN and sold it within the hour.

A better looking 6.0 sold on Clink in February for $1,511. I bid on the book and still have the results for it in my bidding history.

Remember visiting the Dark UFO website all day.

That's the one! I remember always sitting at work reading posts there the day after an episode aired instead of actually working. :shy:

I really really really really want to read it.

Buzz, there's still a website that some fans created about MT #40 where they scanned each story, you can see the scans here in the archives:

http://mysterytales40.obolog.com/archivos

There was an small, old-fashioned theater in Salem that used to have Lost on the big screen every week. That was a lot of fun. :cloud9:

That sounds awesome, that was definitely a show where seeing it on a big screen with similarly obsessive friends/fans was probably the optimal way to view it.

Does it really have serious legs, or is it that most of the copies that surfaced over the last 6 or 7 years were bought by people who way, way overpaid for it? Now that the speculation is over, they can't bring themselves to sell it at actual value.

I think the prices are result of a perfect storm of different elements that might not normally affect the sales price of similar comics. You had all the fans of LOST suddenly flood the market looking for a copy that thought the issue might contain the key to the bigger mysteries on the show, while at the same time PCH and Atlas collectors stepping up to buy one before it blew up even more. The biggest thing I think that affected prices was the bidder on eBay who bought almost every single copy that came up for sale for almost a year, at really ridiculous prices sometimes. Unfortunately since they were all raw copies, some of these insane sales are not recorded on GPA to look back on. Some boardies in the Gold section mentioned a while back that they knew who the guy buying them all up was, but I didn't recall any further info on him or his motives.

I think the prices are result of a perfect storm of different elements that might not normally affect the sales price of similar comics. You had all the fans of LOST suddenly flood the market looking for a copy that thought the issue might contain the key to the bigger mysteries on the show, while at the same time PCH and Atlas collectors stepping up to buy one before it blew up even more. The biggest thing I think that affected prices was the bidder on eBay who bought almost every single copy that came up for sale for almost a year, at really ridiculous prices sometimes. Unfortunately since they were all raw copies, some of these insane sales are not recorded on GPA to look back on. Some boardies in the Gold section mentioned a while back that they knew who the guy buying them all up was, but I didn't recall any further info on him or his motives.

He thought it would help him get back to the island like why Hurley carried Charlie's guitar.