• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

I disagree. I wasn't crazy about this issue, partly b/c I was expecting what happened, but it was mainly just a set up issue. I thought the last story arc was great. The only thing wrong with it *SPOILERS BELOW*

was that they cooked Dale before they ate him, I wanted to see at least one of them turn. That would've been entertaining! Anyway I think the story is generally just as good as ever.

The first 48 issues were some of the best in comics I ever read. the last 20 or so have been avearge IMO. I was really interested in Rick and his phone conversations but that was about it. Everything from Maggie hanging and the Hunters (and the phone) didn't live up to it's potential.

I disagree. I wasn't crazy about this issue, partly b/c I was expecting what happened, but it was mainly just a set up issue. I thought the last story arc was great. The only thing wrong with it *SPOILERS BELOW*

was that they cooked Dale before they ate him, I wanted to see at least one of them turn. That would've been entertaining! Anyway I think the story is generally just as good as ever.

The first 48 issues were some of the best in comics I ever read. the last 20 or so have been avearge IMO. I was really interested in Rick and his phone conversations but that was about it. Everything from Maggie hanging and the Hunters (and the phone) didn't live up to it's potential.

I thought Maggie should have died then. It made sense and was a hell of a cliffhanger ending to that issue. Her character hasn't done anything of importance since and I don't see her as anything but a future victim anyway.

On another WD note - did everyone see how much the cgc'd #50 variant cover just went for on ebay? It was a 9.8, WD #50 variant - closed close to $190.00 :o

I was surprised to see it go so high! I have a 9.6 and was thinking of bidding just b/c I'm a freak and want the 9.8 - but it went WAY beyond what I expected.

Yeah, honestly, I thought it might slip by for $75 or so.

I have a few raw copies that I'm probably going to sell. Right now, they seem to only go for $25, but maybe this sale will help. Supposedly, Larsen is going to do a story based on the characters on that cover as a back-up in #75. That can only help the value of that variant, which I think is still a great deal at $25 for the only TWD single issue variant.

Edited by 400yrs

How long have you been reading this book in single issues? If you caught up in trades and switched over to singles within the last 2 years or so, I can understand what you are saying. However, this is the way the series has always gone.

I enjoyed this issue. A lot actually happened. I loved Kirkman's solicit too. Always so clever.

Anyone read Issue #67 yet?

I was exactly right about Eugene, he has no idea what caused the zombie outbreak lol

Oh, and interesting (short) introduction of a new character at the end of the issue!!!

As always, can't wait until the next issue :cloud9:

Blech. One of the worst issues yet. The writing seems to have stalled (more like "come to a grinding halt" but I am being diplomatic here). I mean, it seems like they are just going through the motions now. The excitement of the first 48 issues is gone. The most interesting thing to happen in my opinion since issue 48 is when Kirkman gave that interview telling us a bunch of people were going to die. Then nothing happened (except for Dale getting knocked off) in the actual comic. I mean, where is this going? In the past, plot wasn't essential but we were getting a lot of character development. Now we aren't getting anything except cliffhanger after cliffhanger and that is starting to get old. I mean, the cliffhangers aren't leading anywhere!

I'll continue to buy WD for a while longer- just like I'll continue to watch LaDanian Tomlinson. I just hope that both can regain their former glory. lol

be honest...you just want more blood and death (not that that's bad), because the writing has been great. as far as cliffhangers, that's been going on wayyyyy before any of the current issues.

plus, rick and carls' talk is simply great writing. kirkman has made carl 10X more real than i feel he's been at any point in the series in the last couple issues. him telling rick how he has felt is just powerful.

i'd also say the "fear the hunters" story worked perfectly! i have yet to find anyone who saw it coming. everyone suspected the silhouettes holding guns were the hunters. plus, rick taking it to the hunters was absolutely gangster. one of the coolest moments in the series.

but to each their own. issues 30-40 were great, but my least favorite of the series. i happen to love the book more now then then.

p.s. agree 100% with LT. if we win this sunday, and beat the broncos two weeks from now, 1st place!

Edited by Hawkman

I thought Maggie should have died then. It made sense and was a hell of a cliffhanger ending to that issue. Her character hasn't done anything of importance since and I don't see her as anything but a future victim anyway.

i can understand this point of view, though i like the idea of having someone in the camp who tried to commit suicide. it's something kirkman could use to build tension for not only the group, but especially for glenn.

Hawkman - I just re-read my post, sorry if it comes off a little harsh, I was trying to make fun of me, not you - not sure if that came across.

'tis mighty fine (was wondering tho...lol)

:foryou:

Sorry...it's hard to get the tone I want online, I think I come off as too brash sometimes and I don't mean to - just my abrasive sense of humor. I'm well intentioned though :)

plus, rick and carls' talk is simply great writing. kirkman has made carl 10X more real than i feel he's been at any point in the series in the last couple issues. him telling rick how he has felt is just powerful.

i'd also say the "fear the hunters" story worked perfectly! i have yet to find anyone who saw it coming. everyone suspected the silhouettes holding guns were the hunters. plus, rick taking it to the hunters was absolutely gangster. one of the coolest moments in the series.

Completely agree with you.

be honest...you just want more blood and death

YES!

as far as cliffhangers, that's been going on wayyyyy before any of the current issues.

I know. I just think the cliffhangers aren't leading anywhere anymore.

I don't see that. I understand that you feel this way but I thought the "We are the walking dead" speech was much better. Just one example.

I didn't see it coming either. However, that doesn't mean it was good. I thought it was really rushed. Then again, I am not sure it could have gone too much longer without it then feeling like a waste of time. It was tough to pull this off.

How long have you been reading this book in single issues? If you caught up in trades and switched over to singles within the last 2 years or so, I can understand what you are saying. However, this is the way the series has always gone.

I enjoyed this issue. A lot actually happened. I loved Kirkman's solicit too. Always so clever.

I caught up on the trades. However, I have reread the first 48 issues many times. The rest I haven't read nearly as much. I guess that it how I really started understanding how much the later issues have lagged to me.

i can understand this point of view, though i like the idea of having someone in the camp who tried to commit suicide. it's something kirkman could use to build tension for not only the group, but especially for glenn.

I totally agree. I just wish that Kirkman would explore this more. I kinda feel that Maggie and Glenn are the hope for the future in this series. They represent that even more than Carl to me. They are young, in love and can have a future together- if they survive.

Mini-interview with Charlie Adlard:

http://thoughtbubblefestival.wordpress.com/2009/11/05/charlie-adlard-minterview/

As for criticisms of WD's pace...I couldn't agree less. I've been in since #1. Kirkman has improved so much as a storyteller since then. He picks his spots...it can't be a roller-coaster 24/7.

However...I do believe this type of series does better when it's finite (ala PREACHER, Y, 100 BULLETS, et al). I worry that Kirkman only wants to keep WD going because he doesn't know how to end it. I like resolutions to my stories, even when they're not happy or ambiguous (i.e. THE SOPRANOS).

I caught up with Trades and will continue to buy the Trades when they come out.

Started picking up the book at 61 (when 65 was the current release) and have to say that I feel like a lot of what is happening now is necessary since so many characters were killed during the battle at the prison. He's got a delicate balancing act here, he's got to keep us interested in Rick & Carl, but needs to get us to give a damn about Abraham and the others post-prison characters. If all that happened constantly were people dying then we'd cease to be interested when it happened. Three most memorable death scenes for me are Tyrese (beheading yikes!), Lori & Judy (Just effin' brutal! and by far the most memorable), & Shane. What's the common denominator? None of them were killed by zombies and we as the audience had been exposed to the characters long enough to be like "Oh mess!"

I like the story just fine the way it is and maybe for some it would be best to put the book down and pick it up in a few years when you can read a whole lot at once.

Mini-interview with Charlie Adlard:

http://thoughtbubblefestival.wordpress.com/2009/11/05/charlie-adlard-minterview/

As for criticisms of WD's pace...I couldn't agree less. I've been in since #1. Kirkman has improved so much as a storyteller since then. He picks his spots...it can't be a roller-coaster 24/7.

However...I do believe this type of series does better when it's finite (ala PREACHER, Y, 100 BULLETS, et al). I worry that Kirkman only wants to keep WD going because he doesn't know how to end it. I like resolutions to my stories, even when they're not happy or ambiguous (i.e. THE SOPRANOS).

Kirkman has said to me multiple times that he has the book well plotted out and has an ending in mind.

i agree that this would work as a finite series better. I also feel that it can't be a roller coaster 24/7 but I just feel that he is losing control of the story a litle. For example, I cared about all the characters before. however, the development of these newer characters like Morgan, Abe, etc aren't as interesting and haven't been developed as much. If they died,

i wouldn't care as much as when Lori or Tyrese died. I hate to be nitpicking (and i know i am) but I am just getting a little disappointed. and I am hoping the story doesn't spiral out of control.

Kirkman has said to me multiple times that he has the book well plotted out and has an ending in mind.

He has mentioned that several times. I think I might be paranoid because one of my favorite fantasy novel series (Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan) was spectacular at first bu lost its way. He had a plot and ending in mind but it started to wander and devolved into a complete mess. I kind of see WD devolving but not nearly as bad as WoT did.

I will keep buying for the foreseeable future becaus I still like the series (it is actually the only book on my pull list now) but I wish I felt the quality was still A+. I would say it is B- now.

i agree that this would work as a finite series better. I also feel that it can't be a roller coaster 24/7 but I just feel that he is losing control of the story a litle. For example, I cared about all the characters before. however, the development of these newer characters like Morgan, Abe, etc aren't as interesting and haven't been developed as much. If they died,

i wouldn't care as much as when Lori or Tyrese died. I hate to be nitpicking (and i know i am) but I am just getting a little disappointed. and I am hoping the story doesn't spiral out of control.

SPOILERS

From these comments, I think you are still jumping the gun because you started with the trades. Remember that Tyrese and Lori died 46 and 48 issues into the run, respectively. That's plenty of time to build them up.

On the other hand, Abe, Rosita, Eugene have been in the group for way less than 20 issues. Give it time. The series still feels just like it did before the prison arc. I think we'll learn more about the characters in Washington.

Edited by 400yrs

SPOILERS

From these comments, I think you are still jumping the gun because you started with the trades. Remember that Tyrese and Lori died 46 and 48 issues into the run, respectively. That's plenty of time to build them up.

On the other hand, Abe, Rosita, Eugene have been in the group for way less than 20 issues. Give it time. The series still feels just like it did before the prison arc. I think we'll learn more about the characters in Washington.

But I cared about Tyrese, Lori, Carol and even Allen, waaay before being 20 issues in.

I definitely do not think starting with the trades (or back issue floppies) diminishes the value of my argument. Like I said before, I enjoyed rereading all the other trades while the newer issues aren't as enjoyable.

I am not sure if I mentioned it here but the end of the last issue where Rick spills his guts to Abe only to turn around and see it was Carl was probably some of the worst writing the in The Walking Dead. I mean, is Rick really going to just talk away without looking to see who he is talking to? Plus, there are zombies all over the place! Is he just going to let them come up and take a nibble as he prattles on about his feelings???? That particualr moment probably got my blood boiling pretty good and then I feel this latest issue fell flat so maybe I am overreacting. Someone on the boards wrote Carl and Rick's talk gave them a good insight into the characters and I felt the dialog was stilted.

While trying to explain why I think Walking Dead isn't as good as before, I feel like I am really dumping on it. So, I just thought I'd mentioned what I did like about some of the more recent issues (49 and beyond):

Rick taking calls from Lori

Maggie's suicide attempt and the argument over whether to try to revive her

Michonne and Carl getting closer

Carl killing Ben (really well done)