• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

I have to admit, I would probably buy a lot more of Charlies art if it wasn't priced so high. There are a couple pieces on Marks site that I would love to own, and could, but I just can't make myself pay those prices. Maybe one day they will come down a bit (shrug)

I perused through the site as well and after going through each page I cant believe just how few actually contain zombies. I have read each issue and never really noticed how many head shots there are but few pages show zombies.

Can anyone tell me about the black label walking dead #1 I was told that this was a label that is scarcer and more valuable. I have a chance to buy it and I need to know anymore info about it thanks.

It is black out mature readers

Some one may say otherwise but i am under the impression that it is in fact the white lettering that is ther rarer (shrug) The black lettering was a mistake made by the printers and was not spotted till something like 4000 were printed. Once the mistake was spotted it was requested to be changed to the white lettering (as expected by the creative team) for the final print run of 3000, or so. I am under the impression that this story is as told by Kirkman himself. The black lettering is essentially the shadow that should be the behind the white letters but the white was not printed, well at least that seems logical to me when looking at the too books together.

As far as I know both books are considered first prints and neither book is currently valued more than the other.

Pilot shoots in May

In Hollywood, nothing is official until the audience is sitting in front of the screen, but getting a TV pilot underway is possibly the biggest step towards getting story out there short of official release. And today, word came out that the cameras will roll on AMC's planned adaptation of "The Walking Dead" from Robert Kirkman and Image Comics.

Horror news source Bloody Disgusting is reporting that writer-director Frank Darabont's pilot for a proposed "Walking Dead" TV series will begin filming in May in Atlanta, Georgia. Focusing on the years-long survival story of southern sheriff Rick Grimes in the fact of a devastating zombie plague, the comic book was long-cited by fans as a prime example of a "would work better as a TV show than as a movie" wishlist item.

With only a few short months until filming begins, it only reasons that casting announcements for the potential series will spring up soon, something Kirkman himself professed excitement for in a September interview with CBR, saying, "I'm excited about the casting and I'm excited about being able to watch the show. I'm excited about everything, but it's kind of odd… my dad sent me an e-mail and he goes, "Congratulations about the TV show." I never thought I'd get that e-mail from my dad – it's kind of bizarre. It's kind of a whole surreal thing."

Look for more news on the "Walking Dead" pilot and possible fully-fledged series as it becomes available right here on CBR

:whee:

Can anyone tell me about the black label walking dead #1 I was told that this was a label that is scarcer and more valuable. I have a chance to buy it and I need to know anymore info about it thanks.

(I got this information directly from Robert Kirkman....

I agree that there appears to be more of the White warning out there,

but according to him, that's not the case)

The black warning was “first”, and there's more of them, around 7000 or so total.

More than halfway through the print run, the mature readers thing was corrected…

It should have been white with a black drop shadow (making it easier to see on the cover).

About 3000 or so of those, with the white warning, exist.

Both are considered "first prints" and there really is no difference in value

(although the white SHOULD be worth more, IMO, if the above #'s are correct)

I hope this helps! :)

I always thought the black "MR" was rarer then the white. Thanks for the information Steve!

I thought that too Chris, and heck, it certainly appears that way since the "white" warnings pop up a lot more often. But, like I said, Robert Kirkman posted that info directly, so it's hard to disagree with it :)

I always thought the black "MR" was rarer then the white. Thanks for the information Steve!

I thought that too Chris, and heck, it certainly appears that way since the "white" warnings pop up a lot more often. But, like I said, Robert Kirkman posted that info directly, so it's hard to disagree with it :)

I'm still really surprised by what has been said myself as It has always felt like there was more white ones than black ones. No reason to distrust Kirkman but it does seem odd. It's a pity there is no way of knowing for sure.

I'm still really surprised by what has been said myself as It has always felt like there was more white ones than black ones. No reason to dis trust Kirkman but it does seem odd. It's a pity there is no way of knowing for sure.

Unless he is trying to buy up all the black ones himself! That :censored:!!!!

WTTWD! :applause:

I believe the Black version is MUCH more rare than the White version.

When I finally decided to buy the black version to complete my collection (cause I'm OCD like that for WD) it took almost a month before any black version showed up on eBay while there were at least 10 white versions for sale every day. (This was awhile ago.)

Kirkman's statement about the number of copies has been brought up before. You should know he does have a sense of humor and likes to play jokes. I wouldn't put it past him to have had a little fun with those numbers OR he could have even honestly gotten them mixed up when he made that statement.

In the end, buy what you like for what you think it's worth.

There are still A LOT of WD fans that don't even know there are 2 versions. And those who do often disagree on which is more rare. Thus, they typically sell for the same price. In other words, I don't recommend you pay extra for either copy.

(I got this information directly from Robert Kirkman....

I agree that there appears to be more of the White warning out there,

but according to him, that's not the case)

The black warning was “first”, and there's more of them, around 7000 or so total.

More than halfway through the print run, the mature readers thing was corrected…

It should have been white with a black drop shadow (making it easier to see on the cover).

About 3000 or so of those, with the white warning, exist.

Both are considered "first prints" and there really is no difference in value

(although the white SHOULD be worth more, IMO, if the above #'s are correct)

I hope this helps! :)

so according to kirkman, there's 10,000 copies of issue #1? 7,000 compared to 3,000?

i don't think any of us can say we've seen 1/10 of the black labels as we have white labels.