• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

IMO, I would have rather watched a movie...AND not necessarily for cash. I don't know if any of the creators care so much for that more than their creation. The TV show is good also, don't get me wrong, but you could have a flop when not enough money is put into it to fully develop the storyline. What comes to mind is Stephen King, for example. Great books, crappy TV movies and long boring stories developing too much characters. Either media I can do with as long as the integrity of the story is not compromised due to budgeting...then again, movies can be tainted by Hollywood execs big time...would also hate that to spoil such creativity.

I can rest easy now they cast Shane

Why did they cast Shane's character first--he is gone after the 6th issue of the series, also Shane was a big guy this actor looks more like someone who should play Carl. (shrug)

maybe he was the easiet to negotiate with. or first one with no prior engagements.

or cheapest...this is not going to be an inexpesive project by any stretch of the imagination....and its only going to appeal to a certain public sector...can't see how their gonna make this work and still maintain the comic concept...a movie may well have been a better project canvas than an ongoing tv show 2c

I agree. A movie with sequels would have been more ideal, but I remember reading somewhere awhile back that he didn't want to make a movie. Sucks. It would have been awesome and I'm sure someone big would have picked up the project.

Wonder what the propaganda will be like for it as I have not seen anything yet.

i may be wrong, but wouldn't a movie cost a lot more money than a tv show? movies need more promotion, plus they gotta be an instant hit to make money. a tv show can be a slow burn, since it'll get probably a whole season to grab an audience. or am i wrong?

Anyone who thinks you can make a ton of money through TV hasn't been paying attention to the last 2 decades.

Larry David $500 million from Syndication

Jerry Seinfeld $500 million from Syndication

Baywatch (BAYWATCH!!!! of all things) Billions in revenue over it's run.

Any show that can last 5 seasons (guaranteeing enough episodes for a syndication deal) will attain anywhere from $50 million to $500 million for it's creators.

Hell Drew Carey got paid almost $100 million in his deal.

The only people that make serious money on motion picture are movie execs.

:applause:

again, good point, however, any of the shows you described you can sit down and watch without having seen any before....so season 3, episode 5 of Seinfeld...i can sit down...watch it....not have seen the previous 30 shows and still enjoy it...season 3, episode 5 of the Walking Dead...perhaps its the tension building up to the breach of the prison walls, by the Guv'nor...i wouldn't have a clue what was going on and without money/ special effects id probably just turn back over to that seinfeld rerun....

Syndication, in my opnion wouldn't work with this project...2c

It works easiest for sitcoms, of course, they are shot and can be fit into any time slot, and run in any order. That doesn't mean there is not place in second run syndication for dramatic series.

Sort of like the syndication deals of The Sopranos, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Charmed (sorta), Sex in the City. All have heavy continuity that must be followed along with, all have had very successful syndication runs.

They get around the continuity issue by attempting to run them in order and adding a brief recap at the beginning of the episode.

The additional benefit of a TV run would be the DVD sales. See the massive DVD sales figures for Band of Brother, Big Love, Sex in the City, Sopranos.

I hate speculating about TV and FIlms. I've been burned and surprised to many times. This director this, that actor this. No money. loads of money. We just don't know. The Walking Dead could make one helluva TV series if done right and the same goes for a film and vice versa. That is the great thing about WD It will work on either level. All I can say is I will be watching when released and if good I will love it and if bad I will moan like there is no tomorrow :ohnoez: