• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

Last Weekend, I read the TP Vol. 2 and 3. Wow, it's getting better and better. Vol. 3 with the prison storyline had so many shocking twists and turns, it was like the comic version of "24". I'm very happy that I gave the series a chance, better late than never. The Walking Dead is on of the biggest surprises in recent years.

Welcome to WD--you will never be the same :ohnoez:

Just wait if you think its good now wait till you hit TPB 5-9...crazy stuff (thumbs u

Rick = Jack Bauer hm

Maybe Jack Bauer is Davidson :shy:

its more like:

Carl = Jack Bauer

So, Kirkman says the white warning label on #1 is more rare...even though he also says they started with it in black, but changed it because it didnt show up as well...

I see a lot more white labels than black....

Which do YOU think is more rare?

We need a FAQ section for this thread, because this keeps coming up.

A while back someone asked this question in the Walking Dead #1 Club thread. I posted the following that summarizes the debate pretty well.

ComicFanGermany,

The truth is this. YOU have to decide for yourself what you want to believe.

Here is a quick summary of the debate:

EvilAsh posted here that he spoke to Kirkman and Kirkman told him he thought the White was more rare. EvilAsh is very well respected here so his statement carries alot of weight and we all believe he is telling the truth that the conversation took place.

However, many people like myself believe Kirkman got it wrong or just made it up. Why you ask?

1.) Because Kirkman is known to play jokes and has a sense of humor that fits this.

2.) When this conversation started way back people here on the boards didn't even know there was a black label. I posted in the WTB thread that I wanted to buy one and no one knew what I was talking about until EvilAsh posted a picture of his. It was news in the WTB thread AND the Official one.

4.) There are ALWAYS more white copies for sale on eBay. Try checking randomly over the next couple months.

5.) Once it was discussed here on the boards, the black ones started popping up more frequently on eBay with the "rare black label" in the description. Still less than the white ones however. Before it was discussed here, they were extremely hard to find on eBay. I had to wait over a month before a single copy showed up.

Still, some people don't think eBay is a good source to judge because of so many sellers (I mean flippers) trading the same books back and forth repeatedly. For example, I believe Branget has argued this point that he's seen the books he's sold repeatedly resold over and over again because he has the CGC # saved.

Also, there are tons of people who only have 1 version and just pitch their tent in that camp. "Hey, I've got the white one and that's what Kirkman said so done!" Or, "Hey, I've got the Black one and the Black ones are harder to find on eBay so Kirkman is F'n with us." For the record, I've got both.

In the end you can believe Kirkman mispoke to EvilAsh because of the eBay sales.

OR

You can believe that the white is more rare. To justify the disparity on eBay you have to believe the sellers (ahem.. Ruthless Flippers lol) happen to have the majority of the rare white ones and are just being sold over and over and over and over again soo often that there are always more of them on eBay. Thus, misleading us to believe they are more common.

I think that summarizes it pretty well. Again, it's up to you to decide what you want to believe. (thumbs u

or you can believe that the general public (actual buyers) are not buying into the hype, because there is no actual proof of which one has a lower print run.

I think the book is high dollar enough that black or white warning seems to have no effect on the value in general terms.

I think Michael Jackson sang it best...

AND or you can believe that the general public (actual buyers) are not buying into the hype, because there is no actual proof of which one has a lower print run. Or aware of the difference, since that question keeps coming up here.

I think the book is high dollar enough that black or white warning seems to have no effect on the value in general terms.

I think Michael Jackson sang it best...

Made some minor adjustments to your post. (thumbs u

Your statement doesn't contradict my post at all. My post just summarizes the debate here on the boards about which one had fewer copies printed.

You are absolutely correct about it not effecting the value in general terms!

Edited by maloney414

where did everyone start getting tony moore sketches from? and how did i not know about this? also, is anyone willing to sell one? or anything drawn by tony? he doesn't answer emails anymore, so i can't even ask about personal pieces.

Sketches were acquired from FCBD from an LCS in Kentucky. As far as I know, he is not taking any requests for personal work or making any appearances at any cons for 2010 due to their new baby. This may or may not change during the year. He's now a "family man." :headbang:

I'm dying for the next tpb

I got into WD when all 11 TPB were out. And reading all of them in oder with out waiting for another vol to come out was awesome. So this is the first tpb I have had to wait for and I am going crazy :frustrated:

Just checked with my LCS on the #75 WD variant. Was told that I couldn't reserve due to the unknown ratio and availability... :blahblah:

Hmmm, it would be nice just to have one copy. :wishluck:

Yeah, I know. And I thought I was tight with them. I'm not stupid, but I appreciate their polite method of telling me, "Can't sell you one now because I may increase the price once it comes out and make more money." They are a comic "shop" after all. Oh well. Don't want to get one if the cover doesn't live up to it. Don't want to get one just because it's a variant or because of the hype. Hope it sticks with good artwork. ;)