• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

hilarious catch 22. if walking dead was overlooked, people would complain about it not getting enough exposure. it gets exposure, and people are unhappy about it.

16bf07d9-e165-4413-9451-42052e6c5d30.jpg

I would like a video game :)

I'm very much into Zombie video games...not sure how TWD brand in video games would be servicable. If it becomes a story, it will be a story we've already seen. If it becomes a slayfest...then people will say "why did this need the TWD brand on it." Perhaps a good middle-ground would be a parallel-story line that leads into a current or future arc of grand scale.

I'm looking forward to Dead Island...have you guys seen the teaser trailer? I'd swear this was a movie.

But not sure how a video game on TWD would work well.

Ok folks...time for a reality check...nothing really going on in TWD since #48 of any real consequence, and there hasn't been an arc worthy enough to get remotely close to the Gov. There's been lots of POTENTIAL places Kirkman could've gone in storytelling but he's remained relatively sedate. I'm not talking about the surprise killing off of characters. He's got that down pat. It's time for a seriously different direction and frankly I don't think he wants to go there.

He cares not to go into the real reason for the crisis and how the rest of the world is coping. At the same time, he's not building enough depth to the characters before either they get killed and/or they get "nullified" by other events. For example: why did Jessie have to die? The loss of her son would've made for a powerful connection for the two that was just blooming. But no, Kirkman thinks the "shock n awe" approach is golden. Nope. It's getting old. As a consequence, none of the characters that we've met since #48 haven't provided me much reason to care. A thoughtless jerk who cheats and a gutless preacher? No thanks. For some reason, suspicious and devious behavior is interesting enough to keep around but without a raison d'etre for the series why should the reader care?

Who do you care about in the series and why? I guarantee that most can't even name the new characters for the most part, much less care about their history, actions or behavior. If you did care, they probably died.

Personally, I think he needs to change things up...otherwise I'm afraid it's becoming all too familiar. I'm sure there are others thinking the same thing. I'd like a decent discussion because I'm not totally enthralled with the current direction. Maybe I have high expectations. Dunno. Bottom line is, it's not as entertaining as it used to be. All IMO of course.

A concerned TWD fan.

He cares not to go into the real reason for the crisis and how the rest of the world is coping.

----...which i'm extremely happy for

At the same time, he's not building enough depth to the characters before either they get killed and/or they get "nullified" by other events.

----very true. axel was the first character i felt was killed for no good reason. his character's death still bothers me. duane didn't need to be zombified. him and morgan would have made a GREAT combo for rick and carl. wasted opportunity. michonne is arguably the 2nd most popular/important character, yet we know very little about her. abraham too. even with rick. why has rick never mentioned his own brother?

For example: why did Jessie have to die? The loss of her son would've made for a powerful connection for the two that was just blooming. But no, Kirkman thinks the "shock n awe" approach is golden. Nope. It's getting old. As a consequence, none of the characters that we've met since #48 haven't provided me much reason to care.

----here i disagree. while not fleshed out enough, abraham, gabriel (though i love the fact that gabriel seems like a preacher who never expected to actually live/fight during a "judgement day."), heath, and denise have proven to be great characters.

Personally, I think he needs to change things up...otherwise I'm afraid it's becoming all too familiar. I'm sure there are others thinking the same thing. I'd like a decent discussion because I'm not totally enthralled with the current direction. Maybe I have high expectations. Dunno. Bottom line is, it's not as entertaining as it used to be. All IMO of course.

----what kirkman needs to do is spend the next 10-15 issues expanding the characters he has. rebuild the community, and focus on the hardships of a small community trying to live in this new world. no deaths. no zombies. no armed groups. delve into the characters. i said the same thing in this post during the governor/post governor issues.

A concerned TWD fan.

Edited by Hawkman

I'm very much into Zombie video games...not sure how TWD brand in video games would be servicable. If it becomes a story, it will be a story we've already seen. If it becomes a slayfest...then people will say "why did this need the TWD brand on it." Perhaps a good middle-ground would be a parallel-story line that leads into a current or future arc of grand scale.

That Dead Island looks awesome! What system and when can I play? Me no like google.

As far as a TWD video game there are a multitude of ways to play it. There are at least a dozen stories I would be all over! That was just the quick list when I read your post.

You could have back stories for

Michonne

Abraham's group

Shane and company's trip to Atlanta

Gabriel

The Hunters

The Governor

And from the TV show

The bigot brothers

Duane and his Dad

Mr Scientist dude

The hospital posse

Even if any of these aren't enough for their own game there could be a compilation. Left for Dead worked that way.

The game could go the way of Silent hill, Left for Dead or a Resident Evil. Lots of ways to play it.

You could have back stories for

Michonne

Abraham's group

Shane and company's trip to Atlanta

Gabriel

The Hunters

The Governor

I'm all for any backstories, if it only connects to a current situation. This series must move foward. Leave the mystery plots to Locke & Key. lol

And from the TV show

The bigot brothers Very tricky, they are already walking talking cliches. They would have had to do something original to win me over. Watching Michael Rooker in the Sea of Love right now even. Great actor in a nothing role from 21 years ago.Duane and his Dad Yes, it could make an interesting Grimes Crew-centric episode on how they get around, a father & son, not in a group.

Mr Scientist dude NO,there was already to much of him(no offense to Noah Emmerich, loved him in Frequency. The ultimate Father's Day movie.

The hospital posse I can see an Alamo type story with them waiting for Rick & company for help them.

no idea, looks like it might have been cancelled.

my holy grail. of all the things walking dead that i have, i'm most mad at the fact that i don't own any art from issue #19. i'm assuming it was sold off ebay.

The first interesting bit, gleaned from G4, is that the game will follow the canon of the comic book series rather than the extended version of events offered by the TV series. There goes my dream for a "Hacksaw off Merle's Hand" mini game.

The other bit, straight from the horse's mouth, is that we won't just be playing as Rick Grimes, but that players will jump into the shoes of many characters over the course of the game's multiple episodes. "You'll be playing as characters from The Walking Dead for sure," Kirkman explained, "and different levels you'll play as different people, so we'll see."

Edited by Hawkman

I'm looking forward to Dead Island...have you guys seen the teaser trailer? I'd swear this was a movie.

But not sure how a video game on TWD would work well.

The success of the video game really depends on the gameplay. How much fun it is to play. LEFT 4 DEAD is the standard when it comes to zombie games imho. I love that game, and still play it.

Ok folks...time for a reality check...nothing really going on in TWD since #48 of any real consequence, and there hasn't been an arc worthy enough to get remotely close to the Gov. There's been lots of POTENTIAL places Kirkman could've gone in storytelling but he's remained relatively sedate. I'm not talking about the surprise killing off of characters. He's got that down pat. It's time for a seriously different direction and frankly I don't think he wants to go there.

+1 on the Governor stuff. But in all fairness, that's going to be tough to beat. That was REALLY great stuff. When the Governor issues were coming out TWD was the best comic being produced. Of any genre, zombie, superhero, etc... Period.

While you're right it hasn't been that good, it's still been better than other zombie stuff since then. 2c

He cares not to go into the real reason for the crisis and how the rest of the world is coping.

I don't think he should address the reason. It's always cheesy in my opinion when they do that in the movies. No good would come from that.

As for the rest of the world coping. I agree.

I was hoping they would be moving on to something else after this arc, so I was surprised they are staying here. Hopefully, Kirkman will develop this as a base camp and then tell stories with characters advancing out. This is the common model in novels. ("The Passion" and "Rot and Ruin" immediately come to mind.)

At the same time, he's not building enough depth to the characters before either they get killed and/or they get "nullified" by other events. For example: why did Jessie have to die? The loss of her son would've made for a powerful connection for the two that was just blooming. But no, Kirkman thinks the "shock n awe" approach is golden. Nope. It's getting old.

I was glad to see her go. As you say below, she was a character I didn't care about. It wasn't shocking that she died, but it was shocking that Carl was shot.

As a consequence, none of the characters that we've met since #48 haven't provided me much reason to care. A thoughtless jerk who cheats and a gutless preacher? No thanks. For some reason, suspicious and devious behavior is interesting enough to keep around but without a raison d'etre for the series why should the reader care?

Who do you care about in the series and why? I guarantee that most can't even name the new characters for the most part, much less care about their history, actions or behavior. If you did care, they probably died.

I care about a lot of the characters. But I have to admit most of them aren't newer characters (1st app post #48).

But I don't think it's because they aren't interesting. I think it's because there are too many characters. Not enough screen time for all of them so to speak. They have that Red Shirt Star Trek feel if you know what I mean.

Personally, I think he needs to change things up...otherwise I'm afraid it's becoming all too familiar. I'm sure there are others thinking the same thing.

Your right, staying in one place and defending it is familar territory for TWD. If they are going to stay and make this town their base, it would be cool if they discovered a nearby airport & pilot and started searching outward or something.

I'd like a decent discussion because I'm not totally enthralled with the current direction. Maybe I have high expectations. Dunno. Bottom line is, it's not as entertaining as it used to be. All IMO of course.

A concerned TWD fan.

I said it before but most comic video games turn out bad with the exception of Batman Arkam Asylum and The Darkness. This could have some serious potential if in the right hands. My dream WD game would be a lot like RDR Undea Nightmare but with a better melée combat system.

The game could go the way of Silent hill, Left for Dead or a Resident Evil. Lots of ways to play it.

The first interesting bit, gleaned from G4, is that the game will follow the canon of the comic book series rather than the extended version of events offered by the TV series. There goes my dream for a "Hacksaw off Merle's Hand" mini game.

The other bit, straight from the horse's mouth, is that we won't just be playing as Rick Grimes, but that players will jump into the shoes of many characters over the course of the game's multiple episodes. "You'll be playing as characters from The Walking Dead for sure," Kirkman explained, "and different levels you'll play as different people, so we'll see."

+1 SWEET!

Edited by FIREFLY