• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

I can kinda understand the interest in a 2nd printing if it's extremely rare and it has a different cover (or different color cover), but I do not understand the interest in 2nd prints of issues 2, 7, and 8. Bottom line, they are just reprints. Who cares what the print run is? It's still just a re-run.

some people just want 1 tpb. some people just want 1 copy of every issue, be it 1st or 2nd or whatever print. some people want everything. and having 2nd prints was a way to separate your collection for a while until #50 had a variant.

At this point its cheaper to buy a plane ticket to CA and purchase a ticket to participate in the run :makepoint:

Slight exaggeration.

But seriously, it pains me to see people paying that much for them, that just means that's what the going rate will be now.

Another part of me feels like the sellers of those auctions shill bid with their friends to essentially make the price (since they were first to list, they pretty much set the tone). Im not saying thats whats going on but a part of me believes it as a possibility. The whole thing makes me angry. I'm not angry at the sellers, I'm angry at the buyers. Oooh what stupid people with lots of money do...

I am guess around 3000 copies will be made.

According to Liam Brenner (coordinator of the escape) he said that the expectant participation is between 10-12k. Highly likely this will be an extremely common variant. Though I will be there offering $10-$20 at the end to purchase said variants.

how many will be spectators tho? still gonna be a lot of walkers/survivors getting books, but i'd think there'd be ALOT of spectators since it's the cheapest way to go and you get something

Just to clarify I'm not including the special "verients" ("varnients?") or any of the weeklys with my guess at print run on that #2 second print.

"Reprint" or not, you have a hot title no matter what with really low numbers up to about I think issue 6 or 7 compared to the first few.

Also I see that these days companies have to go with low first print runs on new titles and if they sell, they will order subsequent additional printings on a rapid basis, whereas back in the heyday fifteen or twenty years ago, it seemed like (from the bigger guys anyway) you would see big runs of a first print, probably even with new titles, and then maybe another big second print a year later on certain issues, which collectors back then would eschew anyway just due to the mass quantity of originals out there.

So I have a particular question for some of you WD fanatics. If you could add any issues to your collection what would it be? What key issues would you have to have if you were adding WD books to collection for good. Don't say "All of them". Just what you would keep as "key" books in the series and holding their value for the long haul. :)

wow. so i bought a survivor ticket (too bad the walker ones were already sold out), and figured i'd put a pre sale copy on ebay. 10 minutes after i listed it and it's already at $150. wow. it'll cost me $80 + gas money, so probably $100-110. Pick up some El Indios, and have a great trip for free basically.

Edited by Hawkman

wow. so i bought a survivor ticket (too bad the walker ones were already sold out), and figured i'd put a pre sale copy on ebay. 10 minutes after i listed it and it's already at $150. wow. it'll cost me $80 + gas money, so probably $100-110. Pick up some El Indios, and have a great trip for free basically.

Nice. Gotta love completionists (thumbs u Have fun dude!

El indio isn't downtown anymore. But the one on India st is still there.

oh, i know. GF is from san diego. was gonna take a train to downtown, decided to borrow a car instead, which is perfect as el indio's is off the freeway.

So I have a particular question for some of you WD fanatics. If you could add any issues to your collection what would it be? What key issues would you have to have if you were adding WD books to collection for good. Don't say "All of them". Just what you would keep as "key" books in the series and holding their value for the long haul. :)

2-love the cover

9-favorite cover of the series

48-all Hell breaks loose

75-letters page has my first published letter

79-letters page has my second published letter featuring a poem

Love the whole series but those are the ones I personally would want to stockpile

2-love the cover

48-all Hell breaks loose

Love the whole series but those are the ones I personally would want to stockpile

Do you see anymore holding value for the long haul? #19 or #27? Or maybe #6?

Also, the reason I'm asking about this is I have all the keys from the series(or pretty much). I need to clear out space and I'm only going to keep about 20 to 30 books. Just trying to get a base of what I should keep. I thought about buying a few #1's and #19's or something along those lines. Even thought about selling my silver age keys to fund it. (Avengers #4, TMNT #1, and Hulk 181). :)

2-love the cover

48-all Hell breaks loose

Do you see anymore holding value for the long haul? #19 or #27? Or maybe #6?

19 and 27 for sure at the very least throughout the duration of season 3. #6 has already declined actually and hasnt really sold like it used to.

I would say 48 will hold value up through to what happens in the book happens on the show. I also would add #50 superhero variant to the list just cause I think it's the best looking cover in the entire series, thats just my biased opinion though as I have a love affair with that cover.

It's really hard to tell. I'm not sure if 20K is a lot of books. would that affect the longevity of a comics where if it's not the first issue, it won't retain value?

Personally, (even though I am missing issues 1-4) I have an extra copy of #9, and a few copies of #48 - along with a spare for issues where I own original art.

Also, the reason I'm asking about this is I have all the keys from the series(or pretty much). I need to clear out space and I'm only going to keep about 20 to 30 books. Just trying to get a base of what I should keep. I thought about buying a few #1's and #19's or something along those lines. Even thought about selling my silver age keys to fund it. (Avengers #4, TMNT #1, and Hulk 181). :)

In that case keep #61 and 63 as well. #92 is the first appearance of Jesus who in my opinion is key and he could last a really long time and become a key person later on, though a friend disagrees with that. #3 is a very desirable issue as well due to its lower print run.

Edited by roastedbagel

Well I thought about keeping the books that had minor to significant death. That turned out to be too much. I basically know which books to keep after #48 but it's #1 through #48 that's giving me a headache. Again I'm looking at which books would hold value after the show and series is done. What about any of the variants besides #50?

What was that rule on variants I heard on the boards? The 90 - 90 - 90 rule?

90 percent of variants lose 90 percent of their value after 90 days.

I think at this point it's not entirely applicable, but personally I don't collect variants because I'm not a completest. Unless it's a jaw-dropping cover, or something thats incredibly rare, I don't think variants will hold value - they seem to be too commercialized in my opinion. The WD shouts this statement out loud. Weren't there like 3 different covers for issue 78? 78?!?! WTH? I could be wrong, but right after the show got announced around issue 75, the WD went crazy with variants.

I think at this point it's not entirely applicable, but personally I don't collect variants because I'm not a completest. Unless it's a jaw-dropping cover, or something thats incredibly rare, I don't think variants will hold value - they seem to be too commercialized in my opinion. The WD shouts this statement out loud. Weren't there like 3 different covers for issue 78? 78?!?! WTH? I could be wrong, but right after the show got announced around issue 75, the WD went crazy with variants.

75 had 4.

78 had sdcc

75 had 4.

78 had sdcc

You are correct. I was thinking the variants for 79 and 80 were the two for issue 78.

Regardless, the fact that issue 100 not only has over 7 variants, but also a chromium cover, dismisses my statement entirely.

These variants will gain value and surpass gold as a new standard of monetary worth in the coming years, no doubt about it.

Edited by Phillip

I think that the #88 Expo variant is a pretty sweet cover, but I bought just because I liked the art, even though it has a space in the middle of the cover for sigs or sketches. (The back might be blank in addition, I'm not sure.) I probably paid whatever the FMV was whenever I bought it.

At the very least, I feel that some of these varineants ( =P ) can be used to bolster an auction to add interest or perceived value if you add it in there.