• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,454 posts in this topic

There's also people out there who aren't buying these as an investment opportunity. I just started buying the comics as soon as season 2 ended, which obviously was not the best time to buy them. But i'm not looking to flip any of these issues. I've had some duplicates from buying large lots or trying to upgrade the condition of some issues, and for that reason I like to see the prices stay high, but there's collectors out there like me who just want to own a complete run of the issues and aren't as concerned about prices going up and down. So while there may be 7,000 copies of #1 or 6,000 copies of #2 and so on, there's also people out there who own one that have no intention of selling it as soon as the show ends or anytime in the near future.

If I decide to sell them in 30 years, will I be hoping to make a profit? Of course. But if I don't, i'm not going to care because I'm having fun trying to complete the run.

def am seeing an easing on the prices of WD #19 and #27's both raw and CGCed.

I just wonder when the #1 will break. Last sale of the 9.8 was $1500.00.

Can this book keep going up? hm

WD #2 still have less 9.8's than 9.6. :cool:

WD #2. :takeit:

WD#1. zzz

There are now 950 copies of Walking Dead #1 that have been CGC graded. Over 600 in 9.6 or better.

A whopping in 10 CGC 9.9.......which take that for what it is there.

I really can't see this book peaking any higher going forward as there are just too many copies out there. Soon this sheep like hysteria will come to an end.

Everything with you is about dollars and cents :baiting:

We'll see in the near future, but no matter what there is only 7,000 copies to go around, if you think about it, that is just nuts to try and comprehend.

Jim

That's true.. and I have to say, im sure theres A LOT more people trying to get a copy in their collection than there are out there.

I'm missing issues 1 - 4, but feel better buying OA than these issues atm because they are so overvalued in my opinion. Just waiting for the madness to hush down and I can pick one up for cheaper than they are now. I KNOW I'll need to cough up a lot, but I'm not going to spend $500 + for a raw copy of #1- no way.

I really don't know if it is ever going to drop to those levels again. It's funny a well known WD collector and I were joking today, the only way a WD #1 goes for less than $600 today, is if it is coverless :)

Jim

AGREED!

#1 is historically significant and the most important issue by a longshot...and #2 is just #2. Dollar for dollar, I will take #1 all day, every day.

No one is saying WD #2 is more important that #1, but tougher to find....hell yea.

I am more impressed seeing a WD #2 in CGC 9.8 than #1.

#1 isn't that tough to find if you need a HG copy. (shrug)

There are 500 fewer copies of #2. That's 7% less than #1...hardly a significant difference. There are a lot more CGC copies of #1 because it's a much more desirable issue. Scarcity alone does not make a book valuable or desirable. Last time i checked, there isn't a "Show Us Your WD #2" thread.

lol:roflmao:

There is more than enough supply for this book for years to come.

WHAT? REALLY I would take that to the bank :slapfight:

As said before Walking dead has its own "universe" and will be around for a while. If you all don't like walking dead why do you continue to come here and post! Does not make sense to me. I am a fan and collector and I look at it from every perspective.

I would love to own a few early issues just from a fans point of view but these crazy prices with speculators and hoarders pushing the prices up I don't know if I will ever be able to own them. For this reason alone I hope prices will fall.

Don't get me wrong WD #1 is great book and will always have value, but 1500-2k highly unlikely.

You underestimate the genre.

I am a huge Zombie fan. Hell I am doing a zombie run in San Diego in October. Walking Dead is the only current comic book I read, but still i can't look anyone in the face and think anyway other that the obvious future on the values of these books.

By this time next year the 9.8 and 9.6 CGC census on WD #1 will probably be up by at least 25-35%.

Lets face it nothing about the Walking Dead comic book nothing has been all that groundbreaking since the prison governor arc almost 50 issues ago. (shrug) Once the show does that arc the show could suffer bad ratings, so if they are smart they will use season 3 & 4 for the prison and then the governor war.

The show has what about 5-6 seasons before they will pull the plug on it just using the usual logic on a TV show.. Lost only made it 6 seasons.

Can you pick my lotto numbers for me too??? :grin:

We will just have to wait and see, all we can do. Speculation is speculation.

I don't want to tell you what I paid for my 9.8 but lets just say, if there were more fans like me.....two thousand is a low end in coming years.

+1 AGAIN

I have issues 1-40 in 9.6-9.8 (maybe 9.9 if im lucky) picked up new by myself :whee:

The question is trade them for some silver age, get them slabbed or keep them :pullhair:

Slab 'em and sell them in time for the next season to start, then buy some SA goodness :cloud9:

Jerome

Edited by jump_ace

I disagree with the Bone comparison. Scholastic books has introduced that property to untold thousands or more of school age readers. I think its pop culture exposure is there and a movie would only enhance it. These kids someday will want their Bone # 1's.

I have issues 1-40 in 9.6-9.8 (maybe 9.9 if im lucky) picked up new by myself :whee:

The question is trade them for some silver age, get them slabbed or keep them :pullhair:

Depends what your goal is. Either way shoot me a PM. ;)

I'm selling Silver and Gold to buy WD :cloud9:

As soon as my Marvel #1 sells, it is game on :devil:

Jim

How is her debut ruined by the death of a character that lives for so much longer in the comic book? :baiting:

the buzz around Michonne is white hot. imagine how big it will be when the season premieres. maybe they'll ruin her character on the show, but as of now, they've done her right. she alone, if done right, can carry next season. if you kill her, buzz will die down, and fans of her character, like me, will care less when she shows up on the show.

The buzz around Michonne is white hot in comic circles. What's that? Around 30,000 people per issue up until the issue #100 hype started. Add 100,000 that have gone for the trades?

Put that 130,000 against the 5 million watching the show that don't have any interest in the comics and I still think Kirkman is brave enough to kill her off.

Hope I'm wrong though.

(Disclaimer - yes, most of these numbers are plucked out of thin air but you get the jist. - Please don't ask for links or proof) :grin: