• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

Well - with this said - if they expect at least six people to spend 1K +, the content and quality of the art must be fantastic.

Have you seen the latest issues of Walking Dead? If those are any indicator, the pages will be gritty, muddled, drawn with what looks a kid's crayon set and utterly unremarkable. Adlard's art was never that fantastic to begin with, but, man, it's been a pretty steep downhill slope for quite a while now.

Feel free to call me a traditionalist, but I do find it easier to follow a comic book when you can actually distinguish the characters from one another.

Well - with this said - if they expect at least six people to spend 1K +, the content and quality of the art must be fantastic. If not, I suspect they'll be auctioning off a few pre-drawn bonus sketches. I hope the sketches aren't the same quality as some of the one's I've seen done by him at conventions recently, otherwise there's going to be a lot of insulted fans. One thousand dollars isn't just some number to be thrown around and personally I don't see the incentive.

I agree. They had better be amazing sketches to justify spending that much. I had not intended on buying any artwork at the convention, but I have a feeling once I get there I might be tempted. My main goal was to get all my sketch covers sketched on and sent to be graded. I have been in touch with Charlie and he has said he will be available at the Splash Page booth for slightly more detailed sketches with a small fee (donation to charity).

Blowing my wad on OA the first day will severely hinder my con experience. (shrug)

Oh, I was being completely sarcastic. Trust me, I know what the art of the last 30 or so issues has looked like.

BUT in my honest opinion, Adlards art WAS great!

This is my breakdown:

Issues 7 - about 15 or 16 he was still getting in his groove, adapting and improving on his style.

By the late teens, he has created what his style would become until issue 35.

At Issue 36, when he began scaling down the art, the style lost a "layer" so to speak, but was still recognizable as his style. This continued until around issue 60.

From issue 60 to about 70 there was a a distinct change in quality - he began putting in less details into the pages. "squinty face syndrome" made distinguishing characters from one another more difficult.

Around the time the group got to Alexandria, his style had completely morphed into a crude version of what his style once was.

His panel story telling from the teens to the mid thirties was brilliant in my opinion. Remember that AWESOME double page spread of Tyreese punching Rick? That was some great art!

Has anyone seen the previews today? Stupid question doh!

Maybe someone can post picture but it looks like someone else is trying to get in on some of the walking dead famous covers. Booms zombies vs fanboys 6 cover is very familiar? :sumo:

Edited by campbelljh3