• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

Some people spell it Bragnet for a reason and others the dyslexia kicks in.

Not Lord just Branget. It's my last name and I use it everywhere online so get it right. :makepoint:

Well if you find out who they are just send them over. Black or white available. ;)

Bragnet, a serious question if I may:

You have an awesome, and I mean awesome set of TWD and Chew.

Unbelieveable jealous!

Do you scour the new releases and take a punt on something being a hit at the time of release - I mean, if so you have been sitting on those TWD #1's for nearly 10 years - or do you sniff a potential series/film in the wind and buy up big then.

I doubt if its luck - in fact I'm sure its not so which is it.

Please tell me you have 200 Rebel Bloods you will have to shift.......

Seriously impressed with the way you do things.

I bought my 1st Walking Dead comic as a run of 1-51 for $150 about 3 years ago. I had a 2 month old at the time (my eldest daughter) and read it straight through. I was physically ill after reading 48 and threw it across the room. Still own the ungraded copy. :)

I remember commenting to Steve (Evilash) that I would never read another book by Kirkman. He commented that Kirkman must be talented to stir up so much emotion. Light went on.

Darabount was rumored as being the possible Director about that time. Another light went on.

I bought multiple copies for $50-100. I was selling them for a couple of months for $200-250. Some castings were announced for the show. More lights went on.

I bought every available copy of WD 1 available for a 6 month span. You couldn't buy a copy online or in the GTA unless you beat me to a Buy it Now.

I cringed the 1st time I spent over $100 for a copy, hestitated too much when copies were selling for $200 and refused to buy for a few weeks when raws broke $300. I eventually stopped hesitating.

Failures at that time include also jumping on every issue of "Crossed" and not stopping buying 30+ monthly issues of ASM and UXM fast enough.

Buy what you like and deal what you buy. I keep the number of titles low and go all in.

So I haven't read this thread since #100 came out. It was weird seeing the different reactions here vs the reaction at my LCS. Everyone I talked with at the LCS did not like the book. The store owner thought it was the worse piece of *spoon* he ever read. While I didn't think it was the worse thing I ever read, I thought it was a big let down. Killing Glenn was not a biggie, but the whole book just seemed so cliche. It's going to get dark, we should stop in the middle of nowhere, we will be safe. Michonne and others scout out the area and feel it has a great perimeter. (guess it isn't too great when the million man march sneaks up on them) Rick falls asleep on guard duty.

Anyways the book just didn't seem to cut it for me.

Well if you find out who they are just send them over. Black or white available. ;)

Bragnet, a serious question if I may:

You have an awesome, and I mean awesome set of TWD and Chew.

Unbelieveable jealous!

Do you scour the new releases and take a punt on something being a hit at the time of release - I mean, if so you have been sitting on those TWD #1's for nearly 10 years - or do you sniff a potential series/film in the wind and buy up big then.

I doubt if its luck - in fact I'm sure its not so which is it.

Please tell me you have 200 Rebel Bloods you will have to shift.......

Seriously impressed with the way you do things.

I bought my 1st Walking Dead comic as a run of 1-51 for $150 about 3 years ago. I had a 2 month old at the time (my eldest daughter) and read it straight through. I was physically ill after reading 48 and threw it across the room. Still own the ungraded copy. :)

I remember commenting to Steve (Evilash) that I would never read another book by Kirkman. He commented that Kirkman must be talented to stir up so much emotion. Light went on.

Darabount was rumored as being the possible Director about that time. Another light went on.

I bought multiple copies for $50-100. I was selling them for a couple of months for $200-250. Some castings were announced for the show. More lights went on.

I bought every available copy of WD 1 available for a 6 month span. You couldn't buy a copy online or in the GTA unless you beat me to a Buy it Now.

I cringed the 1st time I spent over $100 for a copy, hestitated too much when copies were selling for $200 and refused to buy for a few weeks when raws broke $300. I eventually stopped hesitating.

Failures at that time include also jumping on every issue of "Crossed" and not stopping buying 30+ monthly issues of ASM and UXM fast enough.

Buy what you like and deal what you buy. I keep the number of titles low and go all in.

That seems to be the key point.

So I assume Chew,Y - The Last Man, TWD and Saga were your recent must haves - Peter Panzerfaust and Revival next maybe?

Any others that bombed Branget, just to show you are human after all?

Being in Australia there is no 'equal playing field' as I have mentioned before - this is really bleak down here so to get my whole 20 copies of Revival (wow,I know a whole 20..) I had to pre-order them.

No orders for extra copies can or will be made from every LCS here in Melbourne that I've contacted - its a one-shot deal, so I would have to make a pre-order of say 200 at a go to purchase a good number of 9.8's.

Its then cover price + GST so each comic costs $5 to get to me.

1K for a hunch is a big risk.

However if I was sat on 200 TWD, Chew,PP or Saga #1's etc I would be feeling pretty happy right now.

Grading,even using some very generous people in the states, is a slow and expensive process.

Shipping,pre-screen and potentially press some,cost of grading and return postage all have to be factored in to the equation still.

Still if it was easy, we would all be doing as well as you!

Thanks for the advice Branget, much appreciated.

My biggest failures as I mentioned was holding onto what I considered to be core titles. I had 10 long boxes of ASM and another 10 of UXM and didn't read the title for the last 10+ years. I bought those because I thought you had to buy those titles to start making money in comics and UXM was the title that got me into comics.

I don't order new titles from Previews very often. When I doi order multiples. I went through a phase of buying every #1 long before selling WD and losing money. My inventory ballooned to 125 long boxes that took me 2 years to sell off. My raw inventory is now down to 4 short boxes.

#1's I have ordered direct from Previews since WD include Chew (5 copies), Mind the Gap and Saga. I didn't catch the synopsis for Revival but I had considered buying it. Just too many titles for me.

I wait until I can read a few issues or see sales getting hot after the release of 6 issues before I start ordering.

lol

Help my ego any more and you'll see Branget listed over in the moderation area.

I don't think anyone else needs to help inflate your self-inflated ego. You're doing a marvelous job attempting it.

As for comics, comic art, anything as a commodity, buy before everyone else does, and sell before everyone else does. Duh.

lol

I don't think anyone else needs to help inflate your self-inflated ego.

I have a bike pump ready if he ever does need help. lol

lol

Just read your blog -

Aside calling me a gentleman, your blog is pretty factual and pretty entertaining. Your post about LCS ignorance is interesting. On the flip side - I do think it was lucky of you to find the 19's for face value - but I think its akin to walking into a Target and seeing copies of a great video game on clearance for 9 bucks - which has happened to me a few times - I remember a few years ago, buying like 10 copies of Fallout 3 for 9 or 10 dollars and making a nice quick buck on Ebay -

I think there is definitely value over face on a lot of these books - but how much higher do you think it will go? You think it will keep going up and up? I see pages from the 60's and 70's in the twenty, thirty, forty grand, and I can only wonder if I should keep a firm grip on all my pages for 20 years?

lol

Just read your blog -

Aside calling me a gentleman, your blog is pretty factual and pretty entertaining. Your post about LCS ignorance is interesting. On the flip side - I do think it was lucky of you to find the 19's for face value - but I think its akin to walking into a Target and seeing copies of a great video game on clearance for 9 bucks - which has happened to me a few times - I remember a few years ago, buying like 10 copies of Fallout 3 for 9 or 10 dollars and making a nice quick buck on Ebay -

dang it! this blog stuff is intoxicating. the more i get into it, the more i want to write (i am going to try to start adding interviews soon). as for the WD Weekly 19's, yeah that was complete luck, but you'd be amazed at how often i get lucky (bought a hardcore #1 sketch for cover at another LCS when those still had value). bought 4 copies of the MTG error copy for cover the day they came out. i'd consider all that luck, but i'd also say it's about being a little bit smarter than everyone else. one thing i don't do though, is speculate, so there may be times when i don't have anything to blog about (which is why i'm hoping to add interviews....i do have one i'll post soon though).

but i'm lucky in that i have 3 LCS near me. One over orders, so they'll have tons of copies of books even after they are selling for good money (and they keep books in their back room...most people don't ask about the books in the back room...i do. one month ago, i bought chew 3-7 for cover after asking. they had them sitting in their back room.) another doesn't come up in google searches, and i'm able to buy books there because few people know they exist. so it's luck in a lot of ways.

then again, i just knew buying multiple copies of WD books back in the days would pay off (and this was BEFORE any TV show was talked about). i got lucky in that WD #19 is my favorite modern cover, so i had 10 at one point.

also, it helps that my LCS's, post office, and box companies (just found one that sells the boxes i use for 60% LESS than i was spending, so now i can charge less on shipping) are within walking distance.

p.s. i'm kinda drunk, and it's starting to feel like i'm rambling. lol sorry for that.

Edited by Hawkman

lol

I think there is definitely value over face on a lot of these books - but how much higher do you think it will go? You think it will keep going up and up? I see pages from the 60's and 70's in the twenty, thirty, forty grand, and I can only wonder if I should keep a firm grip on all my pages for 20 years?

see, i love kirkman. he's been talking about WD going for at least 300 issues for a long time. i really can't see prices falling too much, at least not for a while (esp with the tv show, although let's be honest, some stuff is over priced and will fall). this website is VITAL to me. it really is about paying attention, trusting your gut instincts (and some of us have better instincts. i not only use mine, but listen to all you guys), and being a little lucky. as for WD art, i truly believe it's worth holding onto, esp if you have decent pages. i won't sell my Moore art now, esp those first few issues.

i remember covers going for $500 (i think the cover to #55 was around that for a while).

let me also say that if i'm wrong, people will correct me, and that helps me learn more and grow.

Edited by Hawkman

Well this guy has no problem holding out for what he wants - Its Comicnation again.

He's got balls,I'll give him that.

Is it one of you guys?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Walking-Dead-Dream-Set-1-CGC-Signed-19-75-100-/150858438137?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item231fdd15f9

lol

I don't think anyone else needs to help inflate your self-inflated ego. You're doing a marvelous job attempting it.

As for comics, comic art, anything as a commodity, buy before everyone else does, and sell before everyone else does. Duh.

Yeah like it's that easy...