• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

Just curious, but does anyone think at some point Kirkman is gonna fast forward a chunk of time? Like 5-10 years, and we'll see Carl as a teenager or young adult and the story picks up from there (assuming no major event was skipped, or every major character is still intact)?

Or it may open with "After the death of so and so, things have been the same..."

Backwards in time? Yes.

Forwards in time? No way unless it's so vague that it won't ruin the narrative tension created over the last 10 years of not knowing who would live or die from issue to issue.

Seeing any character alive 10 years from now destroys any chance of creating or maintaining tension in the storytelling as it pertains to that character. No matter what happened in regular time you'd know that the particular character survives it.

Just curious, but does anyone think at some point Kirkman is gonna fast forward a chunk of time? Like 5-10 years, and we'll see Carl as a teenager or young adult and the story picks up from there (assuming no major event was skipped, or every major character is still intact)?

Or it may open with "After the death of so and so, things have been the same..."

Backwards in time? Yes.

Forwards in time? No way unless it's so vague that it won't ruin the narrative tension created over the last 10 years of not knowing who would live or die from issue to issue.

Seeing any character alive 10 years from now destroys any chance of creating or maintaining tension in the storytelling as it pertains to that character. No matter what happened in regular time you'd know that the particular character survives it.

I agree.

If it's totally unexplained what happened to a character (or new characters in the plot acting like they've been around for years) that can build a mystery for the reader then I don't see the harm for a flash-foward type arc. Joe Hill has success with L&K doing storytelling like this, but those are minis and this ain't a mystery book.

It's possible to see something like that in the TV show with Carl. Obviously if the show goes on for 5 years, the kid that plays him is going to look out of place so it's possible they go that route but I doubt you see that in the comic.

It's possible to see something like that in the TV show with Carl. Obviously if the show goes on for 5 years, the kid that plays him is going to look out of place so it's possible they go that route but I doubt you see that in the comic.
What we need is a Robert Altman-esque Shortcuts TV movie or bonus DVD special of all the characters criss-crossing with one another in life before the outbreak. Signs of cheating on Rick, who worked in an office, who pumped gas for a character. You get the idea. :popcorn:

Backwards in time? Yes.

The backwards in time I see happening as well, and am excited about it. I've mentioned this before, but someone at my LCS had a theory (which at first i thought was ludacris) that it would be kind of cool if we see the characters in a precarious situation, and the next issue opens back at day 1 of the outbreak, and its following an entirely different group of people.

We then follow them for a certain amount of time, then eventually they cross paths with Rick and the gang, and it goes from there.

I just feel that theory could greatly extend the life of the comic.

Edited by roastedbagel

Backwards in time? Yes.

The backwards in time I see happening as well, and am excited about it. I've mentioned this before, but someone at my LCS had a theory (which at first i thought was ludacris) that it would be kind of cool if we see the characters in a precarious situation, and the next issue opens back at day 1 of the outbreak, and its following an entirely different group of people.

We then follow them for a certain amount of time, then eventually they cross paths with Rick and the gang, and it goes from there.

I just feel that theory could greatly extend the life of the comic.

or create a great offshoot

What we need is a Robert Altman-esque Shortcuts TV movie or bonus DVD special of all the characters criss-crossing with one another in life before the outbreak. Signs of cheating on Rick, who worked in an office, who pumped gas for a character. You get the idea. :popcorn:

Wait for the movie announcements. It won't be what you described but the movies are coming...soon.

I hope not.

Why? It's not his first appearance.

Are you referring to the last page of #91?

Cause if you are I agree with you, but I've learned many people consider that his cameo, not appearance.

On the flip side, when it comes to a single piece of OA, technically the last page of #91 is the first time he's drawn on paper, so perhaps in the OA world, that would be the first appearance?

My god I'm confusing the mess outta myself. :insane:

I should frame the last page of 91 lol

And yes, to me it is the first appearance even if a cameo.

Why? It's not his first appearance.

Are you referring to the last page of #91?

Cause if you are I agree with you, but I've learned many people consider that his cameo, not appearance.

On the flip side, when it comes to a single piece of OA, technically the last page of #91 is the first time he's drawn on paper, so perhaps in the OA world, that would be the first appearance?

My god I'm confusing the mess outta myself. :insane:

I should frame the last page of 91 lol

And yes, to me it is the first appearance even if a cameo.

Wolverine is in Incredible Hulk #180 but #181 is the one worth big bucks

Nothing to fear arc ends in #102, correct?

Anyone feel the action can remain this high throughout the arc? I know #100 was hyped out of this world, but I hold out hope that something even more extraordinary happens in the next 2 books.

Plane trip to NYC! :gossip::wishluck:

sorry but im really in need for a big change of scenery

- for those that are interested - it seems that the most likely route for all new OA covers for WD will be set at an auction - heard it direct from Mark via email.

:(

Yeah-- but it makes sense. Plus, it'll make it a bit fairer considering some of the flipping. Nothing against making a buck, but Mark's prices are unbelievably fair, and i think it makes sense for him to get a fair value out of the OA from the get-go.

- for those that are interested - it seems that the most likely route for all new OA covers for WD will be set at an auction - heard it direct from Mark via email.

:(

Where will the auctions be held? :popcorn: