• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,454 posts in this topic

Well there are clearly going to be references to Christianity when you're dealing with an apocalyptic scenario set in rural America.

That doesn't mean the show is pushing any religious agenda, especially when the characters' prayers/beliefs never pay off.

So would it be wrong of me to burn a #19 CGC 9.6 ? 5th time now subbing a #19 and I keep getting 9.6s on everyone of them.

Gonna have to crack and resub maybe get it pressed in between. This dang issue though just doesn't love me. :(

Got 9.8s though on the others including a 27, 54, 61 and 94 B&W Image Expo Variant which I guess I should be happy about, but I am not damn 19......

So would it be wrong of me to burn a #19 CGC 9.6 ? 5th time now subbing a #19 and I keep getting 9.6s on everyone of them.

Gonna have to crack and resub maybe get it pressed in between. This dang issue though just doesn't love me. :(

Got 9.8s though on the others including a 27, 54, 61 and 94 B&W Image Expo Variant which I guess I should be happy about, but I am not damn 19......

A 9.6? Heck yea I'd throw it away if I were you! I wouldn't even wanna be seen with a piece of garbage like that, how embarassing....

I'll take it off your hands and burn it for you, I'll send you my address. :D

I don't think the show pushed Christian virtues. In fact, if anything, I thought the shoe critiques the determinism of certain Christian religions & was super critical of Hershel's religious opinions. Rick sat in that church asking for a sign & he didn't get one. At best I think the dynamic between Rick & Hershel illustrates the debate between religious & secular humanist world views.

and Shane being baptized with the water? dialogue created with the intention of pushing the values

And how'd that work out for Shane?

A 9.6? Heck yea I'd throw it away if I were you! I wouldn't even wanna be seen with a piece of garbage like that, how embarassing....

Hahaha. I just hate this book since I get 9.6, 9.6 9.6....9.4..... 9.6. I just can't land a 9.8 on subbing this myself.

I can't be too upset though since this #19 and the now 9.8 # 27 are from a run of issues from 19-33 that I picked up raw through an off eBay sale that I talked the person into selling them to me for $130ish shipped. This was within the last 8 months also. :)

Hahaha. I just hate this book since I get 9.6, 9.6 9.6....9.4..... 9.6. I just can't land a 9.8 on subbing this myself.

I can't be too upset though since this #19 and the now 9.8 # 27 are from a run of issues from 19-33 that I picked up raw through an off eBay sale that I talked the person into selling them to me for $130ish shipped. This was within the last 8 months also. :)

I'm pretty certain I have the worst WD 19 9.8 on record, thank god it's already got RK and TM's blessings lol My plan was to sell this as a double SS (I fully expected this to be a 9.6) and keep the other 9.8 Uni I had, but fate stepped in.

WD19Corner.jpg

Jerome

Edited by jump_ace

See this is what I was referring to in another post. I saw someone selling a 9.8 comic here in the sales forum (won't mention who or what), but it had a NASTY spine abrasion, just like yours, but bigger at the top left corner. It was such an eyesore that I wouldn't even want it, regardless that it was graded a 9.8.

I was arguing with someone who was telling me "all 9.8's are the same", I'm like, "ummm...no they're not...". This is proof.

And btw, I'd still take your "worse 9.8 on record" off your hands any day :)

Oh, and this gives me hope that my #50 Superhero variant that has the EXACT same problem on it can in fact possibly get a 9.8 (assuming the grader got laid the night before like yours did) :D

Edited by roastedbagel

lol just for fun you should re-submit it and then post a video exposing them when it comes back less. I would almost pay for you to do it --

Any else want to chip up to see it done? I got 10 on it!

lol just for fun you should re-submit it and then post a video exposing them when it comes back less. I would almost pay for you to do it --

Any else want to chip up to see it done? I got 10 on it!

I'm in. I'm serious. I've been talking with another boardie (somewhat jokingly) how it's very subjective when it comes to grading. If they're in a good mood, you'll get a 9.8 on that comic that's really a 9.6. Or the other way around.

I got a 9.6 that I know for a fact looks better than other 9.8's I've seen, and really wanna crack it open and resubmit it, and video tape it coming back as a higher grade without touching it after cracking it open. I'm this close to doing it too....

Edited by roastedbagel

If you think that is bad I should post my Hulk 181 9.0, that's also the worst 9.0 I've ever seen, so I just can't get Herb's sig on it :cry:

Obviously I don't work for CGC, but from what I've gathered over the years, it seems to me that a grade for a comic falls within a range of acceptable flaws. I've seen perfectly cut, centered, stiff and flat cover 9.8's that look better than 9.9's I've seen. My one and only 10.0 has an super super tiny (but visible) flaw in the top left corner, so even a 10.0 would seem like it's not so cut and dry.

:shrug:

Sorry to veer off topic....

I can't wait for season 3 of the WD! :grin:

Jerome

Edited by jump_ace

lol

Try #2

#4 eluded me for a long time but not a problem anymore. 80 is a pain.

I've also had problems getting a 9.8 Walking Dead recently. The 9.6 I just got back looks awesome (there is minute color loss on the spine horizontally, but no other defects at all). I've also seen situations where CGC has double charged my LCS's credit card inadvertently, they point it out and get soft grades on that submission. Anyone who doesn't acklnowledge the subjectivity of CGC grades and that certain 9.6s look better than some 9.8s of the same extact title just hasn't looked at enough books. I also think that CGC treats certain books differently than other books. It is all very strange to me. I think where the book was graded (onsite grading or at CGC headquarters), when the books are submitted (in the days following the release of the book to market or months or years down the road and the condition of the books submitted in totality effect the grading. Some of this may be subconscious, some of it may be a matter of who is grading it, I'm only speculating at this point, but is hard for those of us who spend tons of money getting books graded. I imagine that we are not far away from a time when a computer will grade all CGC submissions and I am actually looking forward to that day. I imagine that someone is probably already working on teh software and the laser or other sensor that will accomplish this feat. Sorry for continuing the off topic discussion, but so many Walking Dead books get submitted for grading, I feel like the discussion is appropriate and important. .

This is the 2nd time in recent posts where you never closed a parenthesis, it bothers me and makes it hard to read and understand where certain context ends.

Sorry, not trying to give you a hard time, just saying :foryou:

With that said, yes, the grading is subjective and I'll stand by that statement till the day I die. I'd post a recent issue I just got back and will swear that every single one of you would grade it a 9.0-9.2 and yet it got a 9.6 (I don't even know why I subbed it).

I also submitted a book that looked better than many 9.8s I've seen and it got a 9.6.

When the line is so fine within their guidelines, whatever they may be, after that it all depends on the graders focus and mood.

Edited by roastedbagel