• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

All of the variants drive me CRAZY!! I love me some Walking Dead, but trying to track down the various variants has proved quite a task. For example both labels for WD1 (white/black), 2nd prints for WD 3

How many people have gone through the exercise of tracking down every Walking Dead book, with the exception of 1 of a kind copies with sketch art?

I collect (and own) every one except for a black label #1 (don't see this as a separate version), the 35 error, and the unreleased #100 hero initiative. I'm more intrigued about this #3 2nd print you speak of. Is there such a thing?

So I have a general question for this community of Walking Dead collectors.

With more than 100 issues out now, and 30+ variants, second prints ect., how many of you are completists?

All of the variants drive me CRAZY!! I love me some Walking Dead, but trying to track down the various variants has proved quite a task. For example both labels for WD1 (white/black), 2nd prints for WD 2,3,7 & 8. Color variants for 34 etc.

How many people have gone through the exercise of tracking down every Walking Dead book, with the exception of 1 of a kind copies with sketch art?

Before wd #100, I had at least 2 copies of every wd book, 1st/2nd/variant/foreign/etc.

All of the variants drive me CRAZY!! I love me some Walking Dead, but trying to track down the various variants has proved quite a task. For example both labels for WD1 (white/black), 2nd prints for WD 3

I collect (and own) every one except for a black label #1 (don't see this as a separate version), the 35 error, and the unreleased #100 hero initiative. I'm more intrigued about this #3 2nd print you speak of. Is there such a thing?

No

no, my response was in general, not directed towards anyone in particular.

Ok, I thought it was a general response. Really though I am gonna hate on your collecting habits, collecting Walking Dead stuff is a waste of time and money. You should focus on collecting the cool stuff like I do, in particular Walking Dead stuff, oh wait nevermind.

lol

On a serious note anyone have any recommendations on what WD comics would be cool to get signed and sig series done on with the sig being Greg Nicotero? So far I am leaning towards a copy of #69 just because the cover is so bad .

Also which covers would you like to see signed by Michonne (Danai Guirera)? I am leaning towards so far #31,33,72,86,92 the #94 Image Expo variant and the #100 Ottley Variant (possibly a Comixology copy also). I wouldn't mind getting her sig on a #19 but don't know if it would be worth it or not to tie up the cost of a 9.8 to do this.

How bout the ghost variant?

Wow...I guess I was suffering from a late night crazy brain moment. There is not a 2nd print for #3, I have no idea why I said that. The logic behind 2nd prints has been random at best, with the exception of 97-103 with the Negan mural (P.S. I hate that .)

On the other point of the "Diss". I certainly did not intend to diss anyone's collection habits (unless they entail Magic cards). Ive collected some awesome comics over the years, and some real (see Youngbloods, Savage Dragon, Shadowhawk etc.)

Walking Dead is certainly its own beast. I made it a point to get to know most of the main characters for the first couple of issues. After about 10 issues with characters meeting their fate in rapid succession I no longer made it a point to memorize characters names...with the exception of the earliest additions. Issue 100 really made me sad, and with Walking Dead you know for sure dead is dead (or undead).

In any case, I have already gone too far with all of the variants, I will likely continue with all of the variants, 2nd and 3rd prints and Skybound exclusives (100 Lucille foil cover). I really wish I could simply let my obsession rest, but thats why its an obsession.

I did own everything except #2 2nd print and all the something to fear 2nd/3rd prints. I have sold off all my non CGC books and slowing have pieced together a top 6 TWD collection on the registry. I have 4 more on the way which will bump me to #5 on the walking dead with variants list. Not bad for just getting back in to comics in Feb/March 2012. I only keep the variants that are some what collectible. Still prefer blue labels vs yellow unless it is a photo variant or blank cover for sigs.

Next feat is to crack the total registry points 500 club

I did own everything except #2 2nd print and all the something to fear 2nd/3rd prints. I have sold off all my non CGC books and slowing have pieced together a top 6 TWD collection on the registry. I have 4 more on the way which will bump me to #5 on the walking dead with variants list. Not bad for just getting back in to comics in Feb/March 2012. I only keep the variants that are some what collectible. Still prefer blue labels vs yellow unless it is a photo variant or blank cover for sigs.

Next feat is to crack the total registry points 500 club

Nice collection man. I still don't know how to put up my collection on the competitive sets registry. I need someone to help me.

In any case, I have already gone too far with all of the variants, I will likely continue with all of the variants, 2nd and 3rd prints and Skybound exclusives (100 Lucille foil cover). I really wish I could simply let my obsession rest, but thats why its an obsession.

Drop the comic books and head for the OA much more satisfying!

ahhh. the age old "will the "value" drop?" question.

of course it will. in the end, it all drops in value, just give it enough time. There are ~8,000 copies of WD1. That's it. They aren't making anymore. Are they fairly easy to attain in "high grade"? absolutely. Are they "rare"? no, not really.

Are Silver Age "Keys" rare? No way in hell. while there may not be a ton of "high grade" silver age keys available (yet), there are plenty to go around. plenty.

please keep that in mind when deciding to "diss" any one aspect of this hobby.

Who was 'dissing'?

I thought all responses to your question, were balanced polite and fair.

I still love TWD - note I said sold 'raws'.

I just rechecked my CGC invoices and have another 40 or so waiting to come back including 5x #1,

#2 - #15

#19, 27, 53, 61, 92 (x7) plus another 20 or so random ones.

I got a couple from the pay-it-forward thread so they will go off as well to cgc.

In otherwords I still probably own 60% of the run in 9.8!

One of the great books of all time - it's just for me, a no-brainer to sell a few slabs from #80 - #90 and buy 4 or 5 FF #52.

I totally respect what you collect - I think pretty much everyone is quite respectful on this forum usually. :foryou:

Key variants and hardest to track down for me personally in 9.8 condition have been:

#1 black label

#2 2nd (Still need)

#33 2nd

#34 2nd

#78 Photo

#80 Photo

#81 Comics Pro

#88 Expo blank

#94 Sketch

#100 Escape

#100 Lucille SS

#100 Comixology

Bah-- just sold a 9.8 Black label. SIGH.