• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

does anyone else get giddy (like a school girl) when "newbies" ask you about how to go about reading the book? :)

Don't know about school-girl giddy but I do enjoy convo with newbies about the book -- I have put on quite a few people to the book and have even gotten some people into other comics from first getting them into WD -- its a great feeling to see other people get excited about our hobby :)

Of course, There are others who make fun - one of my friends texted me "I think I saw you outside NYCC, were you wearing a wonder-woman outfit"

lol

i love getting new people into TWD. I got my gf and two of my good friends into it. It's pretty awesome being able to go out on a full discussion about the book with newbies

So...who got this so cheap?

(not me...i missed it)

see what a bad description can do...

That's cheap? What do they go for?
The last 9.6 went for $308 after 9 bids...I see some buy it nows around $300 as well.

Here is the story behind it:

http://www.recalledcomics.com/TheWalkingDead35Error.php

I sold both of my 9.6's for $400 each. Just shipped both out today actually!!!

Jim

Glad I got mine at $308! :):banana:

does anyone else get giddy (like a school girl) when "newbies" ask you about how to go about reading the book? :)

Don't know about school-girl giddy but I do enjoy convo with newbies about the book -- I have put on quite a few people to the book and have even gotten some people into other comics from first getting them into WD -- its a great feeling to see other people get excited about our hobby :)

Of course, There are others who make fun - one of my friends texted me "I think I saw you outside NYCC, were you wearing a wonder-woman outfit"

lol

i love getting new people into TWD. I got my gf and two of my good friends into it. It's pretty awesome being able to go out on a full discussion about the book with newbies

And yet... all that people are ever seem interested in talking about on this thread is the secondary market, the price of OA, the money to be made, who's selling what on ebay etc. etc. etc.

Oh - except for the 24 hours or so of conversation about the actual plot that we get once a month after the latest issue is released.

Very little "full on discussion" happening. That's not a dig at anyone in particular - it's clear that the majority of people that post on this thread are far more interested in the "value" side of things, complaining about splash page prices and showing each other their latest eBay purchases - fair play to them, I just wish there was another thread to talk about the story without having to wade through pages of it...

Edited by Balham's Finest

I think you kind of answered the question, dude. It comes out once a month. It's not the only good book out there, and TWD empire isn't just the comic anymore.

I'm also conscious of spoiling it, too, which happens a lot. You'd be surprised how many people still aren't caught up.

I think you kind of answered the question, dude. It comes out once a month. It's not the only good book out there, and TWD empire isn't just the comic anymore.

I'm also conscious of spoiling it, too, which happens a lot. You'd be surprised how many people still aren't caught up.

I wasn't asking a question, just making an observation. There are of other threads on modern books where plot is discussed throughout the month - Saga is a good example.

I completely agree that TWD is almost a special case when it comes to across the board interest in the TV show, the art, the secondary market, as well as the comic/story itself - all of which makes the argument for separate threads for each strand.

Just want to point out that the general plot of WD by and large lately has been:

1. Rick and co. find safety.

2. Rick and co. meet someone bad.

3. Fighting.

4. More fighting.

5. Calm before huge fight / build-up, time for hunting/supplies/zombies.

6. All out war - Rick is shocked

7. Rick and co look for safety.

Rinse and repeat.

WD up to about issue 99 was my favorite book by far...both artistic direction and story-telling...that's been slipping lately.

Obviously the above is a gross generalization and there are still pockets of great art and fun to be had...but I don't have the excitement of reading new issues I once had..

Edited by Jerry S

Ok so now that I read belham's post...I will begin to discuss the book right now. I will try my hardest to not talk about OA, values, tv show, etc. Here we go....

I'm very scared and excited at the same time about what's going to happen to Carl & Rick. Carl first. He's scared but excited, as I, about what's happening. He wants to be tough and act like a big boy, but he's still young and wet behind the ears. I think he's gonna get a rude awakening soon. Rick has been pushed and pushed so many times, and I love when he come out ahead, I feel that it's gonna take all his skills and experience to handle Negan & Co. I really am a huge fan of Rick no matter what decisions he makes, I've never been this way with any other "Main Character" in a series. But am training myself to be a little distant, because I know Kirkman's gonna kill him off. And when this happens I will cry. Negan now....I don't like him. He's f***ing crazy. I do like the story, where's it going, but I can't wait to see if and when Negan will get his. That new "guy with tiger", I'm very curious about. Looks like we are all going to get taken for a major ride very soon.

lol

And yet... all that people are ever seem interested in talking about on this thread is the secondary market, the price of OA, the money to be made, who's selling what on ebay etc. etc. etc.

Oh - except for the 24 hours or so of conversation about the actual plot that we get once a month after the latest issue is released.

Very little "full on discussion" happening. That's not a dig at anyone in particular - it's clear that the majority of people that post on this thread are far more interested in the "value" side of things, complaining about splash page prices and showing each other their latest eBay purchases - fair play to them, I just wish there was another thread to talk about the story without having to wade through pages of it...

I'd love to talk about the comic But it's always "Hey spoilers! I've been waiting for the 100 issue Super Compendium to come out & you just went and ruined issue #2 for me "

:ohnoez:

well, i TRIED to talk about how i feel Jeff Grimes is in 105, but there was no interest in talking about it, so we went back to talking about other :)

Are you being serious about Jeff Grimes? :popcorn:

Can you please point that out to me Eric....i.e. page number, panel?

man, do you NOT remember my rant about how pages 12 & 13 were not made available to the public when the 105 pages were listed? lol

yes, i am being serious.

Just want to point out that the general plot of WD by and large lately has been:

1. Rick and co. find safety.

2. Rick and co. meet someone bad.

3. Fighting.

4. More fighting.

5. Calm before huge fight / build-up, time for hunting/supplies/zombies.

6. All out war - Rick is shocked

7. Rick and co look for safety.

Rinse and repeat.

WD up to about issue 99 was my favorite book by far...both artistic direction and story-telling...that's been slipping lately.

Obviously the above is a gross generalization and there are still pockets of great art and fun to be had...but I don't have the excitement of reading new issues I once had..

Hey Jerry -

I feel the way you do here. I have read the first 48 twice, and close to finishing the 2nd compendium again. I love this series (don't get me wrong), but it did a little dry in the 2nd compendium. I think the Negan storyline is an upswing for the story. Negan is insane. We'll see what happens. I wonder what they will do after the Negan storyline... another rise of the bad guy/gal? Or, something completely different.

Hooray for story discussion!

and thats the beauty of comics Jerry. i am liking the book more since Something to Fear ended. Both the story and the art. Especially the covers since STF ended. Those covers were mess.

Me too. I know he's not to everyone's taste, but in Negan I think Kirkman has come up with a character who's interesting enough and distinctive enough that people can actually sort of root for him in a way that wasn't possible with the other main antagonists of the series so far. He certainly seems to be doing his best to give Negan as much screen time as possible anyway. I wonder whether this and the additional focus on Cal recently is designed to draw attention away from Rick and make the book less about him in the (mid to long term) future.

I really am a huge fan of Rick no matter what decisions he makes, I've never been this way with any other "Main Character" in a series. But am training myself to be a little distant, because I know Kirkman's gonna kill him off. And when this happens I will cry. Negan now....I don't like him. He's f***ing crazy. I do like the story, where's it going, but I can't wait to see if and when Negan will get his. That new "guy with tiger", I'm very curious about.

Yeah, Rick fans are really hating Negan. I'm keen to learn a bit more about him and his past before he gets whacked (if he does, which I suspect he won't for a while).

I also can't wait to see Ezekiel in a few months...!

man, do you NOT remember my rant about how pages 12 & 13 were not made available to the public when the 105 pages were listed?

And here's an interesting (and rare) example of the OA market being useful to discuss plot! Given how little mention has been made of him, I think it's likely that Jeff will show up at some point during the series. This may not be him though - it seems unlikely that Carl wouldn't have either seen him or recognised his voice from where he was sitting.

well, i TRIED to talk about how i feel Jeff Grimes is in 105, but there was no interest in talking about it, so we went back to talking about other :)

man, do you NOT remember my rant about how pages 12 & 13 were not made available to the public when the 105 pages were listed? lol

yes, i am being serious.

I remember bro. Your talking about the OA, I get it. But I'm talking about the actual book. Maybe I need to go back and re read it. But if you can be so kind and maybe give me a little direction as to who and where I am suppose to look I'd appreciate it.

I think TWD should bust a Death in the Family thing in which they give us the fans the power to determine someone's fate. Obviously instead of calling a number to see if the person lives or dies, we can FB poll it or Twitter Hashtag it. I think this would help increase more people into checking out the story as well since they would want to know why the jeebus everyone is hashtagging something or voting on FB

yes, i am being serious.

I remember bro. Your talking about the OA, I get it. But I'm talking about the actual book. Maybe I need to go back and re read it. But if you can be so kind and maybe give me a little direction as to who and where I am suppose to look I'd appreciate it.

The OA and the book pages are the same thing! ;)

Heres the thing with Jeff. hes never been SEEN before, just spoken about briefly. Look at pages 12 & 13 in issue 105.

i understand those that say that Carl SHOULD have recognized him or at least the sound of his voice. But keep in mind that Carl was essentially just mentally raped by Negan by having to reveal his eye-hole. Remember that Carl is 11-ish years old, something like that is humiliating and embarassing at best, and when he head "Jeff" come into the room, his natural reaction would be to "hide his face" and possibly not pay attention to the person(s) talking at the time

i could also be talking out of my bum, which ive been known to do lol

First off I get it that some people think Rick has a brother, but where the spoon does one learn this? The comic, what issue?

Secondly Negan is amazing, I already like him better as a villian than the Governor. I hope he sticks around for a long time!!!

Jim