• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

One final PSA-- Kara is accepting commissions for Tony More via Twitter, so JUMP ON IT. You will not be disappointed. This is what Tony doodled for me from Seattle's ECCC

http://cdn.comicartfans.com/Images/Category_86518/subcat_142230/Tony%20Moore%20Commission%202013.jpg

Did she state a price and how many commissions she is taking?

Also anyone still looking for a Walking Dead #100 Red Foil Skybound limited to 250 variant in CGC 9.8? Looks like I will be having to sell mine to pay off some unexpected bills.

She'll be taking seven spots. Costs I believe will be around $1,000

She is fing crazy. Sorry but I would rather spend a grand on OA from Adlard at this point then on a single commission from Moore.

Yeah-- know it's high, but if you're wanting art from Moore, it's the only way you're gonna get it.I also think that's pretty much market value. (it's a little manipulated since he's completely dictating it since you can't buy OA directly from him as of late. (FYI, I did NOT pay $1,000 for my commission)

Any moore OA that pops up on eBay is going to pull 2,500-3,500-- even if it's a mundane page. There's still something very appealing to some about getting art from the co-creator and original artist. I have commissions, awesome splashes and even a cover from Charlie, but I was always chasing some decent art from Moore.

Edited by ComicsNYC22

She is fing crazy. Sorry but I would rather spend a grand on OA from Adlard at this point then on a single commission from Moore.

Understandable but any OA from Moore is bound to be better than Adlard OA. If TWD wasn't so crazy, Adlard art wouldn't be more than 125 bucks. He has been pretty awful as of late.

different claudio - not inferior -- in fact - i think adlard is better at drawing emotion than moore - moore is very cartoony - very teenage style - adlard has got a lot of maturity to his work - unfortunately hes also got a schedule which means the last 15 issues have been terrible and the last 30 were worse and worse progressively.

what passes for a cover now is pathetic and the prices paid for them are even worse.

that said, i wouldnt pay 1000 for a TM commission either - he doesnt seem to spend too much time on them - the time he spends is probably worth a couple of hundred bucks if that - the problem is - too many people would want them at that point - so i really think he has to keep the artwork prices artificially high -

remember kiddos, his commissions as close as LAST YEAR were going for 3-500.

Understandable but any OA from Moore is bound to be better than Adlard OA. If TWD wasn't so crazy, Adlard art wouldn't be more than 125 bucks. He has been pretty awful as of late.

I disagree. CA's art has been AWESOME and arguably the best of the series since the hustle and bussle of 100 ended. He's been killing it on covers and interior pages.

But artistically speaking, Adlard is vastly inferior.

I would agree with this but add that there are choice adlard pieces that are rendered well. He had a period of time where he put more into his work.

Issue28pg16amp17_zpsc94eedaa.jpg

like this great piece of work. Or the dbl page spread from the end of iss 22 where tyreese punches rick.

But yeah, much of his art, especially of late is smaller and less detailed. (insert squinty eyed character here)

different claudio - not inferior -- in fact - i think adlard is better at drawing emotion than moore - moore is very cartoony - very teenage style - adlard has got a lot of maturity to his work - unfortunately hes also got a schedule which means the last 15 issues have been terrible and the last 30 were worse and worse progressively.

what passes for a cover now is pathetic and the prices paid for them are even worse.

that said, i wouldnt pay 1000 for a TM commission either - he doesnt seem to spend too much time on them - the time he spends is probably worth a couple of hundred bucks if that - the problem is - too many people would want them at that point - so i really think he has to keep the artwork prices artificially high -

ever since his eBay auctions, the cheapest as of the end of 2012 was around $600. This year, they've averaged $950.

You could say the Cover to 106 was one of the best of the series. And his splashes are still pretty killer. There have been some great ones with Jesus in there. The splash with Michonne and Carl from 108 was pretty nice, too. He's getting there, all.

ever since his eBay auctions, the cheapest as of the end of 2012 was around $600. This year, they've averaged $950.

i remember seeing on end on ebay around 350 for cinn-con? maybe it was 2 years ago already..sheesh im getting old :(

You could say the Cover to 106 was one of the best of the series.

You could.

But you could say that it's not too.

This, to me, is Charlie's worst work...

WD.jpg

:jokealert:

Edited by ComicsNYC22

+1 I have to agree here.

Last year at NYCC, I recall that TM's commission price was much less than $1000. I can't remember the exact price, because by the time I got to his booth, he wasn't taking any more, but I believe someone quoted $500. Some of the stuff I saw him working on was awesome, but I can't see myself shelling out $1000 for it.

As for Adlard, I don't hate his art, but I don't love it either. I think it's ok. The covers as of late haven't been great like you said; the current issue for example, two arms, two swords and a half a hand holding a sheath, with nothing in the background but lines is kinda "meh..." I also wasn't a huge fan of the "Something to Fear" covers. I think the last cover I really liked was issue #82.

But artistically speaking, Adlard is vastly inferior.

How can you say such an absolute statement on something so objective? C'mon, man...

Do you mean "subjective"? I can be very absolute because I feel that the market agrees with me. Try buying a Tony Moore commission on the secondary market compared to an Adlard commission. You will pay more for Moore. Why? He doesn't compose images with thick sharpie smudges like Adlard. He draws line more confidently with pen and ink and fleshes out more detail and emotions.

I don't think I have ever mistaken characters when Moore draws them. When Adlard draws people, I often don't know if it is Maggie or Glenn. Wait! Was that Michonne or Carl?

I do appreciate what Adlard has done by getting the book out on time. But when you make excuses for his terrible art, he has no incentive to improve. Early on, he would flesh out characters and backgrounds and put some effort into the drawings. Now it is obvious he is cutting corners and resting on his laurels. Even is his heyday, he didn't approach the level of artistic ability that Moore displays.