• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

different claudio - not inferior -- in fact - i think adlard is better at drawing emotion than moore - moore is very cartoony - very teenage style - adlard has got a lot of maturity to his work - unfortunately hes also got a schedule which means the last 15 issues have been terrible and the last 30 were worse and worse progressively.

Style is a matter of preference. I would disagree with you that Adlard shows more emotion. But I can completely understand if Moore seems too cartoony. That is a matter of preference.

However, where I think Moore shows his superiority is the backgrounds. The details and facial expressions are more fleshed out and it adds a lot to the book. The last page I bought off spalshpageart was around issue 90. It was horrible and I sold it immediately. Some of the older stuff (issue 15-28) was good but even back then it was "hit or miss".

Here are some examples of backgrounds... and background characters facial expressions. Some people like Kirby and some don't. All opinions are valid. But you can't deny that Kirby put a lot of time and effort into his work. Same with Moore. I really question Adlards efforts.

137828.jpg.ff969796f4bd17358814598dec5567d3.jpg

137829.jpg.55e0b8dd860c4a44299aec4802a3df69.jpg

But artistically speaking, Adlard is vastly inferior.

How can you say such an absolute statement on something so subjective? C'mon, man...

;)

Jerk! Yes, I meant subjective.

That said, I hear the arguments for both sides, but the bottom line is, Adlard gave us most of what we know and love about TWD. And as someone else mentioned earlier, Moore was off the book and only doing covers for a reason. For the record, I like Moore's art better.

While I like TM art a little more also...I think Adlard is a solid artist.

Not a zombie page but his face detail on this page and scenery are solid.

walkingdead_11_2.jpg

I will agree with you about facial expressions. Solid. I don't see any scenery though. I see a loooooot of blank space.

Anyway, didn't mean to be a sh disturber. I just had too much to drink last night. :blush:

walkingdead_11_2.jpg

I will agree with you about facial expressions. Solid. I don't see any scenery though. I see a loooooot of blank space.

Anyway, didn't mean to be a sh disturber. I just had too much to drink last night. :blush:

I agree...the scenery is lacking but I was referring to the shrubbery and trees in the back...the field could have shown some more detail...

The reason I believe TM drops out after the first few issues of books is because he can't meet the deadlines with his style of art. He takes longer to do more detail. Adlard can churn out the work and perhaps it doesn't need to be as detailed.

walkingdead_11_2.jpg

That's old school Adlard.. back when he still had a fire under his

He has changed and if he were to draw that same page today, it would be lacking a ton of detail

Completely feel the same. Just looks so out of place.

It's funny, I almost slabbed a blank because I subscribe to a 9.8 service for WD books. I figured...just to keep things complete but then again..it looks really weird.

Luckily Dre told me he won't be slabbing them...I lucked out or I would own one also. lol

It's funny, I almost slabbed a blank because I subscribe to a 9.8 service for WD books. I figured...just to keep things complete but then again..it looks really weird.

Luckily Dre told me he won't be slabbing them...I lucked out or I would own one also. lol

That's good to know. I was expecting to see it on the next invoice. Guess I'll be bringing a few to SDCC to get doodled on. :)