• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

Good grief.

That most people can read this type of content and move on. I know it's instinctive to be against bodily penetration in any way, but hey this is the Horror genre. Kirkman creates an "off screen" rape scene and follows it up with a classic revenge scene that is shown, in graphic detail, to the reader. This isn't a story revolving around rape.

It's clearly not a story about rape. It was thrown in as a plot device. Why do I have to keep repeating that? What do you mean by reading content like this and moving on? The fact hardly anyone ever calls this stuff out, especially guys, is part of the problem. The fact it is to be expected is part of the problem.

You're completely oblivious to what you're saying, aren't you?

Hey, it's just a rape, no big deal, I've seen worse, and anyway it's horror - what do you expect?

I mean, really? And you studied gender in film & lit? Puh-lease.

Sexism? :facepalm:

What if it were Glen instead of Michonne? Would it be sexist then? To me there is no difference. Kirkman must hate children too since there's that scene with two children with their heads cut off, right? :eyeroll:

Yes sexism. The fact it's not even recognised as such is part of the problem. Refrigerating women is sexism.

The Glen and children remarks you made are as nonsensical as the reverse racism argument.

Putting down a story because of a rape scene is the quality of a lazy reader.

I'd love to hear about how you came to that conclusion. (No, not really)

So is there ever a time, in your opinion, that using rape in a story isn't lazy or hacky?

Why don't I ever hear about Stieg Larsson getting criticized for his rape in TGWTDT?

Having rape in a story could be ok if you're commenting on sexism or perhaps showing the very real devastating effects of rape (but who would want to watch that? not very "entertaining"). It could start with having the rapist as not some evil monster of the film but actually just the normal guy next door. I don't know if that would be too dull or too uncomfortable for people. It's hard to answer because I can't think of any book/movie/tv show that's done it in an earnest, intelligent way.

Can't think of many, but off the top of my head: EXTREMITIES (play/movie) and LUCKY (book).

I haven't seen or read TGWTDT and I don't know if Stieg Larsson got flack for it or not. The media only ever latches on to a particular story every now and then. I've no idea why some are ignored and others are criticised. Mark Millar was an easy target cos he's always getting criticised for something.

He got a lot of flack. Similar criticism to yours about Kirkman.

I will say this...regardless of Kirkman's intent or writing skill, I find it interesting that Michonne has not been stigmatized by readers as "rape victim". She's still a fan favorite character. Perhaps my bar is too low, but I find that encouraging.

Good grief.

That most people can read this type of content and move on. I know it's instinctive to be against bodily penetration in any way, but hey this is the Horror genre. Kirkman creates an "off screen" rape scene and follows it up with a classic revenge scene that is shown, in graphic detail, to the reader. This isn't a story revolving around rape.

It's clearly not a story about rape. It was thrown in as a plot device. Why do I have to keep repeating that? What do you mean by reading content like this and moving on? The fact hardly anyone ever calls this stuff out, especially guys, is part of the problem. The fact it is to be expected is part of the problem.

Hey, it's just a rape, no big deal, I've seen worse, and anyway it's horror - what do you expect?

What if it were Glen instead of Michonne? Would it be sexist then? To me there is no difference. Kirkman must hate children too since there's that scene with two children with their heads cut off, right? :eyeroll:

Yes sexism. The fact it's not even recognised as such is part of the problem. Refrigerating women is sexism.

The Glen and children remarks you made are as nonsensical as the reverse racism argument.

Did you also get this upset about the attempted rape of Carl (both a male, and a CHILD)...? hm

Edited by jjeanius

It's a f***king comic book.

No one forces anybody to read it.

Don't like it, leave your comments in the no one gives a f**k section.

Want to talk about the show? Go to show thread?

The end. ::drops mic::

I thought this thread had turned into talk about OA and ebay listings not related to the actual comic storyline?

Here's your mic back :foryou:

Wow even with that Hack writing the books seems to be going strong hm

fifty_shades_of_grey_trilogy.jpg

50shades.jpg

50shades2.jpg

:applause:

Post of the year? More in terms of HOW DO YOU HAVE ALL THAT 50 SHADES INFO READY THAT QUICKLY?

Edited by ComicsNYC22

This makes me wonder if this second printing is a result of a shortage of 116 first print or of Image knowing collectors will buy it if they make second print.

Wow a second printing of 116 to be release in January? That's just crazy meow.

And side note: I love how we can talk about 2 different things in this thread. I'm not getting involved with the whole "rape" conversation, though.

Ok I will say one thing: If Kirkman wrote a whole WD issue with every panel having a piece of dog poo in it, I still would buy it, read it, love it, grade it and hold it at night like my woobie. 2c

Good grief.

You're offended by rape.

I don't expect it to happen.

When it does happen, in this context, I'm not offended.

To be offended by something like this and say that it's sexist/ lazy writing just makes you look :screwy:

Who are you to be offended?

Exactly.

So your opinion doesn't matter.

Good :grin:

I will say this...regardless of Kirkman's intent or writing skill, I find it interesting that Michonne has not been stigmatized by readers as "rape victim". She's still a fan favorite character. Perhaps my bar is too low, but I find that encouraging.

It's not by any means the worst case of refrigeration I've seen. From memory, Michonne had a personality before it happened so that's more than some cases, and shows how low the bar can really go. Often the woman is raped just so the brave boyfriend can go and get revenge or some other nonsense. The woman isn't even a "character", just a thing to move the plot forward.

Did you also get this upset about the attempted rape of Carl (both a male, and a CHILD)...? hm

A similar question has been asked and I answered it in the very post of mine that you quoted. Also, I never read that far.

Post of the year? More in terms of HOW DO YOU HAVE ALL THAT 50 SHADES INFO READY THAT QUICKLY?

Google :acclaim:

Also, back off Hunger Games that ish is ADDICTING.

I only really included #4 and #5 to show how much more 50 Shades sold to whatever came next. And to scientifically prove that EL James is one of the best writers the world has ever seen. Even better than Kirkman.

So is there ever a time, in your opinion, that using rape in a story isn't lazy or hacky?

Why don't I ever hear about Stieg Larsson getting criticized for his rape in TGWTDT?

Having rape in a story could be ok if you're commenting on sexism or perhaps showing the very real devastating effects of rape (but who would want to watch that? not very "entertaining"). It could start with having the rapist as not some evil monster of the film but actually just the normal guy next door. I don't know if that would be too dull or too uncomfortable for people. It's hard to answer because I can't think of any book/movie/tv show that's done it in an earnest, intelligent way.

Can't think of many, but off the top of my head: EXTREMITIES (play/movie) and LUCKY (book).

I haven't seen or read TGWTDT and I don't know if Stieg Larsson got flack for it or not. The media only ever latches on to a particular story every now and then. I've no idea why some are ignored and others are criticised. Mark Millar was an easy target cos he's always getting criticised for something.

+1

Good :grin:

It's not by any means the worst case of refrigeration I've seen. From memory, Michonne had a personality before it happened so that's more than some cases, and shows how low the bar can really go. Often the woman is raped just so the brave boyfriend can go and get revenge or some other nonsense. The woman isn't even a "character", just a thing to move the plot forward.

A similar question has been asked and I answered it in the very post of mine that you quoted. Also, I never read that far.

Google :acclaim:

Also, back off Hunger Games that ish is ADDICTING.

I only really included #4 and #5 to show how much more 50 Shades sold to whatever came next. And to scientifically prove that EL James is one of the best writers the world has ever seen. Even better than Kirkman.

:sick:

You're offended by rape.

To be offended by something like this and say that it's sexist/ lazy writing just makes you look :screwy:

Exactly.

You're not offended by rape?

I need a blank stare emoticon.

You're offended by rape.

Exactly.

You're not offended by rape?

I need a blank stare emoticon.

I need a blank stare emoticon. Do you choose what you want to read and block out the rest?

In this context, no I'm not offended. I think it's a terrible thing to happen to someone. And she did some terrible things in return. Again, horrific things happening in a Horror comic. Go figure.

Get offended by it, don't read it. But you have no argument in saying Kirkman is lazy to have included it in the book. 2c