• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

There was no beheading of the little girls and no head rolling on the ground. I will place a bet that likewise when Tyreese reaches his end we will not see his body strewn in a similar position. Similarly, rape innuendo is nowhere close to the visceral and power rape scene depicted in the comic book.

Kirkman has the dollar of every die-hard fan in this thread. People will purchase coin banks, lunch boxes, mini mates, and even bandages. There is no question about that and Kirkman will never have to compete for this dollar; it is guaranteed. What he does need to compete for is the dollar of the non-avid fan and the casual bandwagon fan that has caused the TV viewership and TPB book sales to soar. He likewise needs to compete for the attention of Disney or Time Warner, because ensuring the survival of The Walking Dead franchise into several generations would require a ubiquitous presence and continued marketing tie-ins that would last far beyong the TV series. Doing this would include a full range of sculptures and busts that appeal to not just the $20 poly-resin replica shopper but the stated $300+ Sideshow collectibles connoisseur.

This first sculture IMHO is a departure from the main message of the book and not an item that would reach a sales apex to the existing WD fanbase. I firmly believe that if the scultpture instead presented a non-violent, yet still horrorful, scene of zombies, it would sell better. I know this because not a single comic reader I know IRL who is a casual WD viewer would buy this yet they all clamor for statues and busts representing Michonne and Rick that would be similar to the Sideshow and Bowen releases.

What you describe is the textbook definition of selling out. Perhaps this sculpt is a sign that Kirkman is more interested in artistic integrity than more digits on his bank statement (shrug)

You've got to remember, a LOT of people were upset about the rape issue at the time. Honestly, it made logical sense in terms of the story. I think Kirkman learned from that situation (not to mention, it isn't really an option on TV).

Personally, I thought the baby/wife death was too much. I didn't care for it at all.

Got to be honest, I'm super bored with the whole Karl-being-hurt/dead thing every other issue (and TV series). In the latest issue, you get to the point where you ask: "Who cares"?

It's a bit odd that they left a bitten character alone in a room with his son and the lover. That's obviously going to be big in the next issue (with Karl again. "Oh No!". He's in peril!).

Pat

a5c9fa6dd0a7e1f8a4c402d0969659cd_zps6087e8ff.jpg

I've been looking and thinking about this cover a little more.

Do you think this maybe could be some kind of prequel ..

The girl looks like Sherry, one of Negans wives from issue 105.

And the guy in the bowling shirt could be Dwight , pre- iron.

Edited by Awax

a5c9fa6dd0a7e1f8a4c402d0969659cd_zps6087e8ff.jpg

I've been looking and thinking about this cover a little more.

Do you think this maybe could be some kind of prequel ..

The girl looks like Sherry, one of Negans wives from issue 105.

And the guy in the bowling shirt could be Dwight , pre- iron.

:applause:

Not bad. If that did go down then I would want Kirkman to try and twist our perception of what is actually going on as many degrees as he can get away with with backstory. How much he could actually get away with is highly debatable.

I will be the first to issue a contrarian, and likely unpopular, opinion: that preliminary sculpt of the Rick/Zombies statue is an abomination.

The Walking Dead is so much more than just humans versus zombies. It is a story of family, survival, and relationships. Yet, the image chosen for the first statue is a disgusting portrayal of a zombie with its brains viscerally blown out. This statue is undisplayable in a family setting.

Much like numerous zombie encounters in the TV series, this statue is a representation of a violent scene that goes beyond the point of tasteful horror depiction. It is much scarier, and representative of the original series, to have an image with the hero being surrounded by ravenous monsters without a shot having been fired (much like the cover to Walking Dead 106).

why would you display any walking dead statue in a family setting? and it's not even remotely disgusting compared to what has happened in the book. and I'm SMH at anyone thinking this goes beyond the point of tasteful horror depiction. you obviously haven't' seen "the human centipede." Rick shoots plenty of zombies in the series. This statue is perfectly representative of him and the series. you just don't like it.

There was no beheading of the little girls and no head rolling on the ground. I will place a bet that likewise when Tyreese reaches his end we will not see his body strewn in a similar position. Similarly, rape innuendo is nowhere close to the visceral and power rape scene depicted in the comic book.

Kirkman has the dollar of every die-hard fan in this thread. People will purchase coin banks, lunch boxes, mini mates, and even bandages. There is no question about that and Kirkman will never have to compete for this dollar; it is guaranteed. What he does need to compete for is the dollar of the non-avid fan and the casual bandwagon fan that has caused the TV viewership and TPB book sales to soar. He likewise needs to compete for the attention of Disney or Time Warner, because ensuring the survival of The Walking Dead franchise into several generations would require a ubiquitous presence and continued marketing tie-ins that would last far beyong the TV series. Doing this would include a full range of sculptures and busts that appeal to not just the $20 poly-resin replica shopper but the stated $300+ Sideshow collectibles connoisseur.

This first sculture IMHO is a departure from the main message of the book and not an item that would reach a sales apex to the existing WD fanbase. I firmly believe that if the scultpture instead presented a non-violent, yet still horrorful, scene of zombies, it would sell better. I know this because not a single comic reader I know IRL who is a casual WD viewer would buy this yet they all clamor for statues and busts representing Michonne and Rick that would be similar to the Sideshow and Bowen releases.

What you describe is the textbook definition of selling out. Perhaps this sculpt is a sign that Kirkman is more interested in artistic integrity than more digits on his bank statement (shrug)
. He sold out long ago. With the variants and cheap merchandise. Not to mention the tpb, hardcovers, omnibuses, deluxe editions, etc. not that I blame him. I woulda done the same thing. Gotta make that $$$$$. lol

So, you think it would sell better because a few people you know said they won't buy it? You're not making any sense with any of these post your typing regarding this statue. it is not a departure at all from the message of the series. again, you just don't like it. everyone else in this thread does.

again, you just don't like it. everyone else in this thread does.

You are correct, I do not like it and my opinion is a contrarian one. That is a very astute observation on your part.

I stand by my contrarian opinion that this statue is not the best representation of the series and would not sell as well as an equivalent statue that featured a zombie attack without one of them having its brains blown out. I would purchase the latter, as would numerous people I know who purchase similar superhero busts and statues. Alas, such a statue does not exist, and looking at the Skybound track record of releasing TWD merchandise, it may never come into existence.

The Walking Dead is currently missing a number of items that would sell extremely well but simply are not in existence from an official manufacturer, such as:

Reproduction posters featuring key series covers

Action figures of all the classic characters in a uniform packaging design

Comprehensive art book that features behind the scenes info and preliminary designs

Statues/busts of the main characters

Instead we are provided with bandages, lunch boxes, and messengers bags produced in China. Perhaps, Skybound can next offer us some fanny-paks and school binders.

I stand by my contrarian opinion that this statue is not the best representation of the series and would not sell as well as an equivalent statue that featured a zombie attack without one of them having its brains blown out. I would purchase the latter, as would numerous people I know who purchase similar superhero busts and statues. Alas, such a statue does not exist, and looking at the Skybound track record of releasing TWD merchandise, it may never come into existence.

And you know how much sleep Kirkman is going to lose because of that ?

None. Zilch. Nada.

Why?

Because the majority of consumers prefer the latter and that's what brings the $$$$

Perhaps if you want you your particular statue, you should go to etsy.com and see if someone will do it for you.

You are correct, I do not like it and my opinion is a contrarian one. That is a very astute observation on your part.

The Walking Dead is currently missing a number of items that would sell extremely well but simply are not in existence from an official manufacturer, such as:

Comprehensive art book that features behind the scenes info and preliminary designs

Instead we are provided with bandages, lunch boxes, and messengers bags produced in China. Perhaps, Skybound can next offer us some fanny-paks and school binders.

Sounds like something Marvel already does. Different company if my memory serves me. hm

We have those too for the cards. Just take out the card sleeves and you'll have sweet school binder for your son/daughter to go to school with.

How cool would your kid be with a sweet bloody and stuff Rick Grimes binder, walking around school?

Wow I can see the phone calls now.

Wait a minute....is that a sweet Disney logo on that Bloody Rick Grimes Lunch Pail?

Why it sure is!!!

Sherry has both arms in issue 106. If the cover girl has a missing arm, this would rule out a prequel.

I'm not so sure she's missing two arms from that picture. I think it's just a strange angle with the arm behind the knee/inner leg. Look at the arm where it changes angles -- it looks to me like the arm is angling to the leg, like it is resting on her leg behind the giant knee-pad.

Sounds like you should change your name to TheBigTwoFan