• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - Great quotes that have meaning to you...

152 posts in this topic

Not a quote, but the entire excerpt used in this video is meaningful to me.

"No man is justified in doing evil on the ground of expediency."

Teddy Roosevelt

"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

Winston Churchill.

Speaking of deadlines and schedules...I'm an architect and on one-very challenging project I was overseeing the construction of, there was this written on the porta-potty wall...

Time was invented so that everything doesn't have to occur at once! :insane:

Always liked that one... (thumbs u

"Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put in to it"

- Tom Lehrer

"You don't write because you have to say something, you write because you have something to say."

- F. Scott Fitzgerald

“No poor ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making other bastards die for their country.”

Patton

Another quote by Patton that's sooooo very true on these boards

“If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking.”

I tell you, with my doctor, I don't get no respect. I told him, "I've swallowed a bottle of sleeping pills." He told me to have a few drinks and get some rest.

- Rodney Dangerfield

Just came across this googling "Bas " of all words. You guys are going to like this one:

“Book collecting is an obsession, an occupation, a disease, an addiction, a fascination, an absurdity, a fate. It is not a hobby. Those who do it must do it. Those who do not do it, think of it as a cousin of stamp collecting, a sister of the trophy cabinet, of a sound bank account and a weak mind.”

-Jeanette Winterson-

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is impotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Whence then is evil?”

--David Hume

"You do not know what wars are going on down there

where the spirit meets the bone"

--Miller Williams

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."

"When I was in school I cheated on my metaphysics exam: I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me."

- Woody Allen

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

- Groucho Marx.

"Gentlemen, I would rather believe that two Yankee professors would lie than believe that stones fall from heaven."

- Thomas Jefferson. (He turned out to be wrong; he was doubting the existence of meteorites. There's a lesson there somewhere, I think.)

"Religion has convinced people that there's an invisible man, living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn't want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money."

- George Carlin.