• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

question on restoration

16 posts in this topic

No offense but using the search key and just reading the forums will answer most of your questions. Your question is a bit vague and tough to answer. Don't forget to enter the date field correctly when searching.

Basically resto is charged by the hour. The more resto the more time the more money.

Tracey Heft is trained in museum conservation techniques and you can check out www.eclipsepaper.com

Or you can see Matt Nelson's site at www.classicsincorporated.com

R.

i plan on buying some low grade books to have restored what kind of pricing and where can i find info on restoration

Uh , no offense again , but WHY do you want to buy low grade books to have restored ? , ....If I may be so intrusive to ask .........Bh (shrug)(shrug)

i plan on buying some low grade books to have restored what kind of pricing and where can i find info on restoration

Uh , no offense again , but WHY do you want to buy low grade books to have restored ? , ....If I may be so intrusive to ask .........Bh (shrug)(shrug)

Tis probably a currency issue my friend.

no i have plenty of money reason is i dont sell any of my books ever . so why spend like 1200 -5000 on one book when i can get like 3 or 4 books and have them fixed up

No offense but using the search key and just reading the forums will answer most of your questions. Your question is a bit vague and tough to answer. Don't forget to enter the date field correctly when searching.

Basically resto is charged by the hour. The more resto the more time the more money.

Tracey Heft is trained in museum conservation techniques and you can check out www.eclipsepaper.com

R.

no thank you for that info i have about 10 or so books i need to get repaired i had a bad flood some got damaged and i really didnt want to go back out and spen 1200- 5000 for those issues

no i have plenty of money reason is i dont sell any of my books ever . so why spend like 1200 -5000 on one book when i can get like 3 or 4 books and have them fixed up

Or , you could buy them already restored for approx. the same discount , assuming you can find a reliable source for books w/ restoration at the current deep discount that these books command , er , don't command , rather .

BTW , It's probably not a bad strategy , as I believe the neg. knee - jerk reaction to restored books will eventually restore itself somewhat , no pun intended .............BH

R.

no thank you for that info i have about 10 or so books i need to get repaired i had a bad flood some got damaged and i really didnt want to go back out and spen 1200- 5000 for those issues

Well... if I remember some estimates I've seen for resto work... you may very well spend close to that amount (though on the lower end of your range) for restoration work.

What books are you thinking of having restored?

If the copies you have don't make you happy, sell the books as unrestored and buy yourself some restored copies...if they are SA, then you shouldn't have any problem picking them up at a significant discount.

R.

If they books are just wavy from water damage a pressing should get them nice and flat. If they have any stains from the water then a cleaning will help with that.

nothing major just some books i really like

ams #15, 18

batman # 171,232,234

detective comics #142

fantastic 4 #48

iron man #55

and some older horror mags from the 50's but i might just have to buy new ones of those

ams #15, 18

batman # 171,232,234

detective comics #142

fantastic 4 #48

iron man #55

and some older horror mags from the 50's but i might just have to buy new ones of those

Based on the books you just listed it comes down to a few things. What condition they are in now, and for the money spent what grade you hope they can acheive once restored.

It looks like these are not books that you should sink a ton of money in unless you want to restore them for sentimental value. If you have some water damaged books that bother you, then having them wet washed would be a viable option, pressing alone will not normally fix a water damaged book.

As always, more info about your goals and specifics about each book would be needed to offer any kind of helpful opinion.

My advice would be do as little work as you can to books not worth more then the cost of the restoration done, and figure out beforehand what and why you are doing it so you are not left with a stack of books that will not sell for half what you spent restoring them.

ams #15, 18

batman # 171,232,234

detective comics #142

fantastic 4 #48

iron man #55

My guess is for the restorarion price, you could buy nice copies of most of those books raw and unrestored.

well i recently sent scans to a restoration company and they quoted me a price for fixing these books nopt to bad and yeah alot cheaper than buying the books again .

yes these books have high personal value i recieved them from my father before he died....