• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #50 9.8 ends at $32,500 !!!

61 posts in this topic

Wow, 55 grand for a couple of funny books :o

I would have taken that 55 grand and bought a low grade Action 1 or Detective 27 or similar golden age key books. it will be interesting to see in 10 years if or any significant profit would be made on these two AMAZING SPIDERMAN #50 books.

I would have done a lot with that 55 grand. Not one of which has anything to do with comic books.

Ditto! Kids through college, house upgraded, new(er) car, etc!

I'm pretty sure the people buying these books can do all of that and buy comics :gossip:

Without a doubt (thumbs u

I would have taken that 55 grand and bought a low grade Action 1 or Detective 27 or similar golden age key books. it will be interesting to see in 10 years if or any significant profit would be made on these two AMAZING SPIDERMAN #50 books.

I would have done a lot with that 55 grand. Not one of which has anything to do with comic books.

I'm pretty sure the people buying these books can do all of that and buy comics :gossip:

Without a doubt (thumbs u

True - but I'm not one of those people! (thumbs u

I guess the question now is whether comics are considered high end collectibles along the lines of artwork or not. Based on these prices, my guess is yes for a small group of buyers, but unless we see more widespread acceptance of the hobby as an "investment" as well it will be difficult to maintain these prices.

Auction fever strikes again!

Some of the other prices realized were well out of the known GPA ranges.... like ASM 52 9.6 at $6500 or ASM 88 9.6 at $2700!!? The ASM 135 9.8 went for $3400.

A few thoughts:

1) I hope some nice undercopies come to market... surely some of these buyers have to defray costs.

2) Some buyers may be on the sidelines for a while after this...

3) I remember in the early days of CGC, laughing with the owners of my local B+M shop when an ASM 42 in 9.6 went for $710 on eBay --- so I've ceased to be amazed when hindsight proves a seemingly ridiculous price paid to be reasonable.

I guess the question now is whether comics are considered high end collectibles along the lines of artwork or not. Based on these prices, my guess is yes for a small group of buyers, but unless we see more widespread acceptance of the hobby as an "investment" as well it will be difficult to maintain these prices.

There are also a small number of people anywhere who would spend over 50k on a piece of art as well. :news:

Yes they are more art collectors than comic collectors, but since comic books are a form of art they to me are just another expression of the art genre.

Someone who is a huge art fan and doesn't look at comic book OA from Kirby or Neal Adams, etc.. and appreciate that as fine pieces of art work are worthless people to me.

Not saying anyone can't have an opinion whether or not they like the art work because I myself look at alot of art and personally do not find it appealing, but I NEVER say its not art or appreciate any artist and their work.

Especially when I can barely drawn "stick figures" let alone draw or paint any kind of OA.

(:

But to answer your question....Usually all high end key books will always be a good investment from the GA, SA, and BA. It's like any product, you have to know when the price/value is at it's highest yielding value to sell and when to keep for it's upward momentem for a future.

ie...

Good time to buy Avengers #4 (SA CAP) before the movie

Bad time to buy Iron Man stuff right, its over inflated

Best Example to give is ASM 300, look at the prices two years how the book spiked in an terrible over-inflated way, and look at the prices now. Yes, the prices are still yielding higher prices than before the movie, but as you can see the prices are not even close to the releaized prices when the movie was out, Especially the CGC 9.6 and 9.8 prices.

*Market will always correct itself!*

I guess the question now is whether comics are considered high end collectibles along the lines of artwork or not.

I don't want to ruffle any feathers because I mostly lurk here, and I doubt this opinion is anything new, but I find it hard to compare printed funny books with original works of art. I would be more comfortable comparing original comic art and sketches with traditional paintings. I would compare comics to lithographs or photographs because I think mass production removes some of the appeal for some people. I know one-of-a-kind is one-of-a-kind to many, but usually comics get there through attrition or because people are hording supply in collections. Paintings are usually one-of-a-kind from the start. Sorry if I annoyed anyone :(

C'mon guys I know where your coming from but I'm willing to bet that the last thing these buyers are worried about is if they can afford a new car (probably own a half dozen they never drive), whether they want to buy another ski cottage or send their kids to university. Lets face it if we had the cash to splash we would be buying up comics like crazy. Bottom line this is good news for the hobby and much better than if the sales prices sucked.

I guess the question now is whether comics are considered high end collectibles along the lines of artwork or not.

I don't want to ruffle any feathers because I mostly lurk here, and I doubt this opinion is anything new, but I find it hard to compare printed funny books with original works of art. I would be more comfortable comparing original comic art and sketches with traditional paintings. I would compare comics to lithographs or photographs because I think mass production removes some of the appeal for some people. I know one-of-a-kind is one-of-a-kind to many, but usually comics get there through attrition or because people are hording supply in collections. Paintings are usually one-of-a-kind from the start. Sorry if I annoyed anyone :(

If one were to compare....coins ,stamps , and first edition books are probably the closest to our wonderful world of funny books.Fine Art is a whole different mindset...more of a utilitarian "furniture" type of market.Comic related OA may one day parallel the fine lithograph market but will probably never appeal to the market that would love to hang a Monet or even a Dali' in their dining room.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

There are also a small number of people anywhere who would spend over 50k on a piece of art as well. :news:

Yes they are more art collectors than comic collectors, but since comic books are a form of art they to me are just another expression of the art genre.

Someone who is a huge art fan and doesn't look at comic book OA from Kirby or Neal Adams, etc.. and appreciate that as fine pieces of art work are worthless people to me.

Not saying anyone can't have an opinion whether or not they like the art work because I myself look at alot of art and personally do not find it appealing, but I NEVER say its not art or appreciate any artist and their work.

Especially when I can barely drawn "stick figures" let alone draw or paint any kind of OA.

(:

But to answer your question....Usually all high end key books will always be a good investment from the GA, SA, and BA. It's like any product, you have to know when the price/value is at it's highest yielding value to sell and when to keep for it's upward momentem for a future.

ie...

Best Example to give is ASM 300, look at the prices two years how the book spiked in an terrible over-inflated way, and look at the prices now. Yes, the prices are still yielding higher prices than before the movie, but as you can see the prices are not even close to the releaized prices when the movie was out, Especially the CGC 9.6 and 9.8 prices.

Well said. (thumbs u But I don't completely agree with the last portion of your statement. While I agree that prices on IM are higher now because of the movie, buying now is only a bad move if you believe they have hit the ceiling and could not appreciate further. What if they continue to appreciate? (I speak more of SA and BA keys). What if they don't depreciate?

C'mon guys I know where your coming from but I'm willing to bet that the last thing these buyers are worried about is if they can afford a new car (probably own a half dozen they never drive), whether they want to buy another ski cottage or send their kids to university. Lets face it if we had the cash to splash we would be buying up comics like crazy. Bottom line this is good news for the hobby and much better than if the sales prices sucked.

(thumbs u

(:

ie...

Well said. (thumbs u But I don't completely agree with the last portion of your statement. While I agree that prices on IM are higher now because of the movie, buying now is only a bad move if you believe they have hit the ceiling and could not appreciate further. What if they continue to appreciate? (I speak more of SA and BA keys). What if they don't depreciate?

Hey KC120us :hi:

Example:

You want to buy lets say Iron Man #1 in a HG of 8.0 or better. Right now is not the best time to buy it because it is way to hot. But after the summer is over and the movie and hype has calmed down then the prices should fall alittle bit and then you buy it.

I def agree with ou they should continue to appreciated but if you pay for the IM now then are spending a little more now than you would if you waited, or you should have bought the book once you knew the movie was going to b made.

**Free tip, buy Hulk 181 either 9.2 or 9.4 right now and buy next summer u should be able to flipped it for maybe 10-20 percent profit, and then you will see after the summer is over and the book cools off then you may be able to make around 5-10 percent profit. However if you want to buy the book as a buyer to keep right now is the best time oto buy or you run the risk of paying what I call the "inflated Hype Premium."

Again look what happened to all the ASM nows they have spike well above what they should be worth, case and point ASM 300.

Spider-man 3 hyped ASM 300

Pre- movie (9.6)= $120-160 (correct Price) (thumbs u

Movie Released (9.6)= $300-350 (Inflated comic hype) :screwy:

After movie months later (9.6)= $200-250 (lower price, still inflated) lol

So please never buy a comic when its in......."Inflated comic Hype" -ICH

:hi:

I think because of you I will now use the term:

"Inflated Comic Hype=" ICM

what do you think? lol

OT: R u coming to SDCC this year?

Due to the weak American Dollar, how many people here think some of these high roller buyers are European or other non-US buyers?

Not many, if any at all. There are very few European buyers prepared to part with that sort of cash for super HG SIlver Age.

I'm not sure I agree with you, Andy. I'm pretty sure some of the big movements in HG SA lately has been the result of English and European money.

:hi:

I think because of you I will now use the term:

"Inflated Comic Hype=" ICM

what do you think? lol

OT: R u coming to SDCC this year?

I think it is too early to tell if these prices (ie IM 1, ASM 300) are unnaturally inflated or just the product of growth in the hobby. Spider-man as we all know is an extremely popular character. I agree there will always be fluctuations; that is just natural part of market dynamics. It will be interesting to see say 15-20 years from now what the market will look like then. Will we be saying "I couldn't believe how cheap comics were back in the day"? Or will we be saying " Man, comics were so overpriced back then. What were we thinking"? (shrug) I think (hope) it will be the former.

I probably won't be coming to SDCC this year. I want to go someday but our vacations are already planned this year. My wife does have a friend who lives in La Jolla. hm Someday......

Casey

Books like Iron Man 1 and ASM 300 which are notoriously plentiful in high grade (same with Bats 232 by the way) have seen sharp rises that spike for a little while and then there is a drop off...

Other books like Hulk 181 will have a run up due to the movie, but I don't see a drop off afterwards. While the book is plentiful, the demand for this book is huge -- and the run up will likely be sustained -- so for me, if you are interested in owning a Hulk 181, now is a good time to buy it because I don't see it getting cheaper. It's also a book starring the most important character to come out of the Bronze Age. Heck, I just talked myself into buying one.

Books like Iron Man 1 and ASM 300 which are notoriously plentiful in high grade (same with Bats 232 by the way) have seen sharp rises that spike for a little while and then there is a drop off...

Other books like Hulk 181 will have a run up due to the movie, but I don't see a drop off afterwards. While the book is plentiful, the demand for this book is huge -- and the run up will likely be sustained -- so for me, if you are interested in owning a Hulk 181, now is a good time to buy it because I don't see it getting cheaper. It's also a book starring the most important character to come out of the Bronze Age. Heck, I just talked myself into buying one.

At the NYCComicCon Hulk # 181 was easily the most requested book at TVComics booth.

At first i was surprised, but then the realty of the overall market as opposed to this place slowly dawned on me.

It will be interesting to see what a big budget movie with a bonafide Star will do for a book that has always been in high demand...............

This one went at the same time for $500.

'Slight Amateur' top and bottom edge trim, 1/65th of the price...

What do you guys think of that? Good deal? Or bad? hm

asm50.jpg

Why with all of the work mentioned is this only "SLIGHT"? meh

I'm guessing that since CGC doesn't consider Trimming as Restoration, the small amount of CT and Glue aren't enough to garner a Moderate designation.

asm50.jpg

This arrived the other day. Yes that's right, I bought it! :grin:

I bought a trimmed, CT'd mess...

...but damn it's gorgeous!

I have to wonder, what... MANIAC trimmed it in the first place? It's gorgeous, and the trim must be tiny (I can't tell). I don't doubt that this comic would have been in 9.4 territory before the marker pens and razor blades came near it.

Oh yeah, WHITE pages too. Tragic.

Reckon it's a keeper.