• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #50 9.8 ends at $32,500 !!!

61 posts in this topic

Wow, 55 grand for a couple of funny books :o

Yeah, I'm a big believer in capitalism, but excesses like this really make me sick.

there has been a growing backlash in this country against conspicuous consumption and excesses. The one exception to the rule? Our little hobby, where we have been and continue to be subjected here on the Boards with thread after gushing thread celebrating the record prices being paid and the latest big money books coming to market. Suddenly, everyone thinks they're "drdonaldblake"! lol

I wonder if this is a temporary phenomenon or whether there will eventually be a backlash here, too. hm

Gene, I tried a few months back but it never really caught on.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=2135473&Searchpage=13&Main=115353&Words=CaptainOfIndustry&topic=0&Search=true#Post2135473

It does look good...but trimiing is trimming doh!

There's never ever any endless threads debating the possible virtue's of it :sorry:

There aren't any possible virtues of said practice. Which makes it ironically a far less controversial topic than pressing.

I would have taken that 55 grand and bought a low grade Action 1 or Detective 27 or similar golden age key books. it will be interesting to see in 10 years if or any significant profit would be made on these two AMAZING SPIDERMAN #50 books.

This one went at the same time for $500.

'Slight Amateur' top and bottom edge trim, 1/65th of the price...

What do you guys think of that? Good deal? Or bad? hm

asm50.jpg

Trimming kills it. If it were just the color touch, it would have gone for far more.

asm50.jpg

Trimming kills it. If it were just the color touch, it would have gone for far more.

Absolutely, the trimming kills it. Still, what do you think of $500 for it? Good deal for a 'poor man's' copy? Or would the money be better spent on a VF copy?

Auction Fever! Catch it!

seriously, arent auctions the worst way yet invented to buy comics ? There is NO dealer bold (or brave) enough to ever charge these prices for a book. They only happen in the heat of the auction where two or more bidders are insanely compelled to bid at ridiculously high numbers to avoid losing the momentary grail book of their dreams. So for every winner with the fleeting thrill of victory tinged with buyers remorse - -- there is at least one underbidder waking from a trance, relieved with a walletful of unspent dough.

(thumbs u

I would have taken that 55 grand and bought a low grade Action 1 or Detective 27 or similar golden age key books. it will be interesting to see in 10 years if or any significant profit would be made on these two AMAZING SPIDERMAN #50 books.

I would have done a lot with that 55 grand. Not one of which has anything to do with comic books.

I would have done a lot with that 55 grand. Not one of which has anything to do with comic books.

Ditto! Kids through college, house upgraded, new(er) car, etc!

Due to the weak American Dollar, how many people here think some of these high roller buyers are European or other non-US buyers?

Not many, if any at all. There are very few European buyers prepared to part with that sort of cash for super HG SIlver Age.

Amen brother :applause:

asm50.jpg

Absolutely, the trimming kills it. Still, what do you think of $500 for it? Good deal for a 'poor man's' copy? Or would the money be better spent on a VF copy?

Purely from a personal standpoint, i'd rather have the VF unrestored copy. Again, if it were color touch, I'd rather have the 9.6 restored.

Again, this is why I thought (now we'll see when I get the books) that the mid grades were probably bargains. Most of the books in the collection appeared to have good centering and strong colors even if they didn't hit the technical highs that some of the others did. I'm sure they have flaws on the back cover or things I can't see in the scan, but if you look at the scan for the ASM 15 and 16, they look like nice books. I intend to crack them out immediately and put them in mylars. I will be the first to tell you I overpaid for them... but when I saw the crazy prices on the other ASMs I decided to look where I could get the most bang for my buck.

Ditto! Kids through college, house upgraded, new(er) car, etc!

I'm pretty sure the people buying these books can do all of that and buy comics :gossip:

asm50.jpg

Why with all of the work mentioned is this only "SLIGHT"? meh