• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Undisclosed Restoration from Dealer (Metro)

151 posts in this topic

I gotta ask, what book was it and where was the glue? Sorry if you already said and I missed it.

It was an X-force #1 with a DF signature, double folded triple diamond cut foil option booty wrap variant.

R.

There is no way you are entitled by law for the CGC grading fees.

Check the def of Misrepresentation under usual a contract, its usually intentional, and clearly Metro offered you a full refund on what u paid them and did not knowingly sell you a restored book, so good luck with getting the CGC fees back.

The Law will not be on your side with that one.

CGC and Metro have nothing to do with one another.

Like I said before just be happy you getting the book money back.

I dont understand how your not understanding that Metro never met when you bought the book to pay for CGC grading.

So if CGC's grade was an 8.0 and you bought it from Metro as a 9.0, do u think metro should refund you the money for the CGC fees as well?

Sardo if everything you say is true -and I have no reason to believe otherwise- you should be refunded 100% on EVERYTHING from the price of the book to the shipping costs and even the grading fee by CGC. Sounds like you've been through the gates of hell. I am sorry you've had to deal with this :censored:.

Honestly, The Gates of Hell? :roflmao:

It sucks Metro missed a dot of AM CT, and wont refund the sum total of $50 Sardo is out for shipping and slabbing costs. But c'mon.. the gates of hell?

A little perspective is needed here I think. Metro offered a refund for the book, that is not exactly what I picture when I think of "gates of hell"

Metro's policy when dealing with refunds is well documented here, and could be greatly improved. If I were Sardo I would try more honey before throwing vinegar at them, even if they are at fault.. sometimes you have to play the game to get what you want.

And this is where you and I differ my friend. I will NEVER, and let me repeat my myself once more, NEVER accept the blame for something that was totally out of my hands. Whether it be comics, a fight or a God forbid a car accident, ect.; if I didn't cause the problem I will be the first one to go on the defensive. If you experience this four or five days out of the week like often do you to will see why I refer to it as the "gates of hell." You can't argue with a drunk or talk to a wall.

Again I am not trying to sound mean like I am some kind of dealer or anything I am just in my opinion keeping this in perspective here.

Sometimes we as buyers can def get nit picky.

Off course I hate it when I buy a book and it comes back PLOD, but I know that me sending the book to CGC is my decision and not that of dealer from whom I bought the book from.

Check the def of Misrepresentation under usual a contract, its usually intentional, and clearly Metro offered you a full refund on what u paid them and did not knowingly sell you a restored book, so good luck with getting the CGC fees back.

I dont understand how your not understanding that Metro never met when you bought the book to pay for CGC grading.

So if CGC's grade was an 8.0 and you bought it from Metro as a 9.0, do u think metro should refund you the money for the CGC fees as well?

About four pages ago I agreed with you that a fair compromise would be to get back a portion of the CGC fees for the restoration detection (not the grading). Also, the law would allow a person to obtain as damages the costs associated with identifying and proving that they did not receive what was bargained for and expressly promised to the buyer. What makes matters worse is that I specifically asked Metro to double check this particular book before I purchased it to ensure it was unrestored.

Sardo if everything you say is true -and I have no reason to believe otherwise- you should be refunded 100% on EVERYTHING from the price of the book to the shipping costs and even the grading fee by CGC. Sounds like you've been through the gates of hell. I am sorry you've had to deal with this :censored:.

Honestly, The Gates of Hell? :roflmao:

It sucks Metro missed a dot of AM CT, and wont refund the sum total of $50 Sardo is out for shipping and slabbing costs. But c'mon.. the gates of hell?

A little perspective is needed here I think. Metro offered a refund for the book, that is not exactly what I picture when I think of "gates of hell"

Metro's policy when dealing with refunds is well documented here, and could be greatly improved. If I were Sardo I would try more honey before throwing vinegar at them, even if they are at fault.. sometimes you have to play the game to get what you want.

And this is where you and I differ my friend. I will NEVER, and let me repeat my myself once more, NEVER accept the blame for something that was totally out of my hands. Whether it be comics, a fight or a God forbid a car accident, ect.; if I didn't cause the problem I will be the first one to go on the defensive. If you experience this four or five days out of the week like often do you to will see why I refer to it as the "gates of hell." You can't argue with a drunk or talk to a wall.

Am I the wall or the drunk in this scenario?

j/k :jokealert:

No worries, we all deal with and view this hobby in different ways.

Night.

You keep using this as a slippery slope, and the fact of the matter is it has nothing to do with what we are talking about. This issue has NOTHING to do with grading. Also in reference to your statement surrounding the legality of this issue I'm pretty sure this wouldn't pass under article 2 of the UCC heading "good faith purchases". My intuition tells me otherwise.

You keep using this as a slippery slope, and the fact of the matter is it has nothing to do with what we are talking about. This issue has NOTHING to do with grading. Also in reference to your statement surrounding the legality of this issue I'm pretty sure this wouldn't pass under article 2 of the UCC heading "good faith purchases". My intuition tells me otherwise.

refund equals good faith

But you have not convinced me why metro should pay any fees in terms of the grading process? except for maybe the resto check only, but def not the cost of getting the book graded.

Comparing resto and grading is a little tricky only because grading isn't cut and dry whereas restoration generally speaking is more clearly defined (unless we're talking pressing-which we're not. No more pressing threads, please. lol ).

But Sardo, Ze-Man's suggestion about honey over vinegar is probably the way to go if you aren't looking to escalate this issue (even if it IS frustrating for you to do so). You never know!

In any event, hope things work out to an equitable conclusion :wishluck:

Comparing resto and grading is a little tricky only because grading isn't cut and dry whereas restoration generally speaking is more clearly defined (unless we're talking pressing-which we're not. No more pressing threads, please. lol ).

But Sardo, Ze-Man's suggestion about honey over vinegar is probably the way to go if you aren't looking to escalate this issue (even if it IS frustrating for you to do so). You never know!

Ya, I am done on this thread.

No offense, bro, but why are you dragging "law" into this?

Metro missed resto. To save face, and a future customer, they could mess out another $50 that this guy is out for his trouble. Why are you throwing such a geek nancy fit about it?

This is totally different to the grade being different on a CGC slab. Grading is subjective...resto is resto.

If you claim it's not restored, then it shouldn't be restored.

If you claim it's 9.6, the buyer is satisfied, sends it to CGC, they say 9.2, then no, you shouldn't get a refund. No more than you owe the seller more money if the book comes back 9.8.

Stop trying to cloud the issue with a comparison that is not really a comparison.

meh

(and fwiw, the "gates of hell" thing made me lol )

Thanks for your comments. I am not looking to escalate anything, and Ze-Man's suggestion is solid. It is nice to hear the opinions of other collectors, and I appreciate all of the suggestions and strong feelings people have shared in this thread.

Again I am not trying to sound mean like I am some kind of dealer or anything I am just in my opinion keeping this in perspective here.

Off course I hate it when I buy a book and it comes back PLOD, but I know that me sending the book to CGC is my decision and not that of dealer from whom I bought the book from.

Garbage in garbage out. This is a self defeating statement. "My decision and not that of dealer from whom I bought the book from?" Are you in some sort of fantasy world? :cloud9: Statements like this scare me not only because it sounds like you have no clue as to whats restored and unrestored in your collection, but also in matching this to your words earlier about how you sell comics to others. I have no choice but to presume that if you don't know they don't know. Yuck.

No offense, bro, but why are you dragging "law" into this?

Metro missed resto. To save face, and a future customer, they could mess out another $50 that this guy is out for his trouble. Why are you throwing such a geek nancy fit about it?

This is totally different to the grade being different on a CGC slab. Grading is subjective...resto is resto.

If you claim it's not restored, then it shouldn't be restored.

If you claim it's 9.6, the buyer is satisfied, sends it to CGC, they say 9.2, then no, you shouldn't get a refund. No more than you owe the seller more money if the book comes back 9.8.

Stop trying to cloud the issue with a comparison that is not really a comparison.

meh

(and fwiw, the "gates of hell" thing made me lol )

read the whole thread other posters brought the law into it not me. Oh I am nit pricking, ok champ.

Like I said before BROOOO, costs of the resto fee could be made refundable but no way should the grading fee be refunded?

Good luck with that.

Thank you all for your comments. I appreciate the opinions raised by everyone, and most of what has been said seems based in logic.

I would just like to add a few points.

1) Every dealer has a responsibility to make accurate representations about the comics they sell. However, I believe internet dealers, such as Metro, have a greater duty to provide accurate information concerning a book they are selling online. The buyer (me) has no opportunity to see the book personally before the sale to make any independant assesment as to whether their claim of "unrestored" is in fact accurate.

2) If someone buys a painitng upon a seller's representation that it is an authentic piece of artwork, and an expert later tells the buyer that it is in fact a fake, the buyer will be able to recover the expert costs as part of his/her damages in litigation.

3) I feel confident that if I wanted to sue Metro for breach of contract/fraud/or misrepresentation, I could recover the costs of an expert (such as CGC), and if it can be demonstrated that the deception was intentional, Metro could be sued for punitive damages far and above the value of the book. Dont get me wrong, I dont want to have to sue Metro over $50.00 for CGC and shipping costs, but my point is that if the law allows you to recover those amounts, Metro should be required to pay all expenses which led to the discovery of their misrepresentation.

You had the opportunity to view when you received the book in the mail, and you decided to get a "third" party involved to grade the book and get a restro check.

Actually if you want to be technical because you seem to be making a bigger deal of this than anyone really should.

Then find of whats CGC charges for the resto check and see what that fee and ask Metro for that because you have absoluely NO RIGHT TO RECOVERING for the grading of the book because the grading is subjective and can vary (CGC says so them selves), and Metro has NO obligation to you to pay for the grading process what so ever!

If any dealer sells me a book that he says its grades at a 9.6 and it comes back an 8.5, should I go back to the dealer and ask for my money backfor the grading service? off course NOT! So the resto check I will give you half credit on, but the whole grading fee is crazy to think you are entitled to that as well. You wante dit graded and you got back and return it to Metro. Their obligation is over!

Metro is one of the nicest and most professional dealers to deal with so feel lucky you didnt go to some fly by night dealer and gotten nothing back.

Its just common sense, dude come on. :insane:

lol This is funny. If only you knew some of the sh :censored: that has gone on.

Garbage in garbage out. This is a self defeating statement. "My decision and not that of dealer from whom I bought the book from?" Are you in some sort of fantasy world? :cloud9: Statements like this scare me not only because it sounds like you have no clue as to whats restored and unrestored in your collection, but also in matching this to your words earlier about how you sell comics to others. I have no choice but to presume that if you don't know they don't know. Yuck.

Dude most people on these boards will not even come close to agreeing with you. (yes I have sold and been a collector for 15 years please don't insult with that resto )

Alot of people have already PM saying not to try and even waste my time on this thread.

and no they are not dealers!

So please tell me without getting made why this guy deserves money for the grading fee of this book? Lets say the grading fee is 50.00 and the cost of the resto part was 10.00 so there is a 40.00 difference.

Do you think he deserves that 40.00? please tell me why.

Dude most people on these boards will not even come close to agreeing with you. (yes I have sold and been a collector for 15 years please don't insult with that resto )

Alot of people have already PM saying not to try and even waste my time on this thread.

and no they are not dealers!

So please tell me without getting made why this guy deserves money for the grading fee of this book? Lets say the grading fee is 50.00 and the cost of the resto part was 10.00 so there is a 40.00 difference.

Do you think he deserves that 40.00? please tell me why.

Again, I agree with you that I should only get back the portion of the CGC costs that were for resto detection, and not the grading portion (if its even possible to figure that amount out).

Like I said before BROOOO, costs of the resto fee could be made refundable but no way should the grading fee be refunded?

CGC doesn't do a paid resto check.

You pay to have your book graded, and they do a resto check as part of the process.

If you want the resto check ONLY, you'd have to get Matt or Susan to do it, and it will run more than $50.

Why are you so against this guy getting his money back? He bought a restored book. If Metro can't detect resto on books they claim have no resto, maybe they should start selling only CGC graded books. Why should their limp attempt at a resto check cost this guy money?

(I'm not saying that Metro can't be human and miss a dot of glue. This was an anecdote.)