• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Undisclosed Restoration from Dealer (Metro)

151 posts in this topic

I gotta ask, what book was it and where was the glue? Sorry if you already said and I missed it.

Marvel Mystery 58. Glue on spine of cover.

Does anyone else take issue with this sort of "restoration" notation? Was it holding the cover on/together?

I've seen them mark something restored for a small amount of glue that was serving no purpose. In that case, I'd just pick the damn glue off and resub with the tiny pock mark. Better take a small hit on grade than get a PLOD.

(That's the kind of insanity this PLOD stigma has led to.)

A while back, I bought a Captain America Comics #1 from David Alexander. He called it non-restored, but I made the sale contingent on it coming back from CGC with a blue label.

They called the book trimmed and restored because it'd been re-stapled with part of the centerfold out, and the excess cut off. That seems like damage to me, not restoration.

Anyway, David was a mensch about the whole thing, and really worked with me to make me feel good about the deal. The next time I am looking for something like that, I'll go through him.

I don't know if Metro will do sales contingent on CGC, but I would guess not. This is based only on my admittedly limited dealings with them (I've spent about $10k with them over the course of a couple years, and attempted to spend much more by putting in offers on books, and I've met them at a few shows.) I think that Metro is looking to sell their books at the price they want, and at the terms they want. It seems like there are enough people willing to agree to those things to allow them to do that.

And, obviously, they're not concerned about drumming up more business or keeping marginal customers. If they were, they would reimburse your CGC fee.

As a business owner myself, I know there's a line between making the customer happy and writing off someone who is unreasonable. This seems safely within the 'make the customer happy' area on all metrics: It's a comparatively small amount of money; you're a repeat customer, and It's about their reputation. (Why can't their people detect resto -- at least detect when CGC might think there is resto?)

You sir are a smart man - I couldnt agree with you more. Putting this debate aside, I look forward to meeting Vincent from Metro this weekend in person in Florida, and I am confident based on our last conversation they will do the right thing.

For anyone who cares to know, I met Vincent from Metro yesterday in person. The whole matter has been completely resolved to my utmost satisfaction, and I am happy to say I remain, and will continue to be, a customer of his. Vincent demonstrated to me he is an absolute stand-up guy and we spent a lot of time together chatting about this situation as well as many other comic related things. Thank you to everyone who posted on this thread - all of your comments were greatly appreciated and helpful in getting this matter resolved for me.

Some random thoughts as I read this thread:

What if this were an Action #1, and the grading fees were $1000 plus registered mail costs? Would you expect to be at least met halfway then?

On the other hand:

My wife and I watch the show "House Hunters" and "My first home" all the time. Buyers pay for home inspections many times over and there's some major defect that prevents them from buying the home (needs roof replaced, foundation problems, termites, mold). Many times the seller isn't aware of these problems and isn't knowingly trying to pass anything off to the buyer. At the end of the day though, the buyer doesn't get his home inspection fee back, and it might be worth it to them knowing they aren't now stuck with a moldy house (i.e. a restored comic).

Also, to what end should the seller be responsible for 3rd party evaluations? What if the buyer first sent it to Susan, then PGX, then CGC? Should they reimburse all three?

I think the most fair thing of all is perhaps a store credit (as Met has a zillion other books to buy) or 1/2 the cost split each way. It's very easy to miss a tiny spot of glue, I highly doubt that Metropolis would've intentionally tried to slip one past you, especially on a later issue Marvel Mystery.

Just my thoughts.

Some random thoughts as I read this thread:

What if this were an Action #1, and the grading fees were $1000 plus registered mail costs? Would you expect to be at least met halfway then?

On the other hand:

My wife and I watch the show "House Hunters" and "My first home" all the time. Buyers pay for home inspections many times over and there's some major defect that prevents them from buying the home (needs roof replaced, foundation problems, termites, mold). Many times the seller isn't aware of these problems and isn't knowingly trying to pass anything off to the buyer. At the end of the day though, the buyer doesn't get his home inspection fee back, and it might be worth it to them knowing they aren't now stuck with a moldy house (i.e. a restored comic).

Also, to what end should the seller be responsible for 3rd party evaluations? What if the buyer first sent it to Susan, then PGX, then CGC? Should they reimburse all three?

I think the most fair thing of all is perhaps a store credit (as Met has a zillion other books to buy) or 1/2 the cost split each way. It's very easy to miss a tiny spot of glue, I highly doubt that Metropolis would've intentionally tried to slip one past you, especially on a later issue Marvel Mystery.

Just my thoughts.

After meeting the owner of Metro, and dealing with him in-person, I have no doubts that this was not intentional failure to disclose. He was a stand up guy with me and the whole thing has been resolved.

To address your analogy though, the house thing is a different story. If a house is expressly advertised as not having a mold problem, and is not being sold as is, and then a post-sale inspection reveals that the house has a patent mold issue, I would argue that I would be entitled to reimbursement of all fees/expenses incurred in discovering that problem. Also, normally in a real estate trnsaction buyers perform an inspection, at their expense, as part of the due dilignece process before the closing takes place. When buying a comic over the internet, from a company many states away, you have no choice but to rely on the description/disclosures/pictures provided by the seller when deciding to make the purchase. It is not reasonable that I would have to undergo hiring a restoration detection company to review the book before purchase (it would cost more for the inspection then I paid for the book). If it was a raw Ation 1 though - selling for the price of a house - it would be reasonable for a potential buyer, at his/her expense, to retain an expert/consultant as part of the due diligence process before the purchase.

For anyone who cares to know, I met Vincent from Metro yesterday in person. The whole matter has been completely resolved to my utmost satisfaction, and I am happy to say I remain, and will continue to be, a customer of his. Vincent demonstrated to me he is an absolute stand-up guy and we spent a lot of time together chatting about this situation as well as many other comic related things. Thank you to everyone who posted on this thread - all of your comments were greatly appreciated and helpful in getting this matter resolved for me.

I've been following this thread and I'm glad that both of you, got this resolved, because I know it must have been terribly frustrating:) Depending on the book and the price, I will gladly buy restored books, I find that if I already know it has a purple label, then I don't have to worry about finding it's restored later;) and I buy the books, because I want a copy and enjoy them. I also buy books that have not been CGC'd that have amateur restoration, because that doesn't bother me, I think it's charming, and of course, the prices are usually better...but if I asked someone if there was any restoration, and they specifically said "no", not "I'm not certain" , I would be pretty frustrated. So kudos to both of you, for acting like gentleman about the whole thing:) realizing that no one is perfect, and not resorting to name calling and all kinds of other stuff that happens too often in frustrating situations:)

Thanks for your comments. I am not looking to escalate anything, and Ze-Man's suggestion is solid. It is nice to hear the opinions of other collectors, and I appreciate all of the suggestions and strong feelings people have shared in this thread.

Sardo, bummer about your book. You've been on a roll lately and i'm sure this just blows.

This is not a right or wrong argument that is ever going to be decisively won. This is a customer relations issue.

In the end you are the customer and if you aren't happy then what you do in the future, where you spend your dough is entirely in your hands.

Using words like "misrepresented" seem awfully harsh to me. Almost insinuating something was deliberately done to deceive you. They aren't CGC, they're Metro. If they could guarantee you 100% no restoration and you were comfortable with their conclusion, you wouldn't have had to use CGC to begin with.

With that said, remember good relationships are a two-way street.

PS: Glad you guys got it worked out. Everybody's happy again.

I have always been happy with Metro's books. I just wish they would reply to my e'mails. I inquired about a book 3 months ago, and never got a responce. I sent another e-mail Saturday about the same book, and another this afternoon.

Does Frank still work there?

I have always been happy with Metro's books. I just wish they would reply to my e'mails. I inquired about a book 3 months ago, and never got a responce. I sent another e-mail Saturday about the same book, and another this afternoon.

The EXACT same thing has been happening to me, too. I've sent 4 emails out in the span of 3 weeks inquiring on one particular grail and I'm treated like the red-headed step child. Zod won't stand for this! :)

The EXACT same thing has been happening to me, too. I've sent 4 emails out in the span of 3 weeks inquiring on one particular grail and I'm treated like the red-headed step child. Zod won't stand for this! :)

I put my wife on it, and she had a scan for me in minutes. I guess Frank would much rather deal with her than me. :grin:

Metro or any dealer has no reponsibilty to refund you for the CGC costs.

Same logic as if you bought something from me on eBay and you returned it me. I would refund you the comic price but def not the S/H.

I guess everybody has there own set of rules regarding this.

Personally, if the buyer requests reimbursement for shipping I will comply. It's much better to make sure the customer is happy than to sweat a few extra bucks.

In Sardos case, Metropolis is foolish to not reimburse not only the CGC fees, but also the shipping. I'm sure this would make the buyer happy and could lead to future sales.

By denying a good customer simple requests, it tends to drive them away, never to return.

Anyhow, that's my thoughts on the subject.

Email Vince directly. Or call. They'll hook you up.

Can't call. Got an email address, please?

I put my wife on it, and she had a scan for me in minutes. I guess Frank would much rather deal with her than me. :grin:

No wife or GF at the moment, else I would put her to the task, indeed. :sorry:

Why can't you call?

Why can't you call?

The Zod is mute. ;)

Why can't you call?

The Zod is mute. ;)

In that case, e-mail them at:

orders@metropoliscomics.com Att. Frank I have purchased about 7 books from them, and have only got a response from Frank. I always request a back cover scan.

:gossip: If they don't anwser you, send me a PM and I'll put my wife on it. (thumbs u Seriously!