• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM my first foray into GA - Superman #76

17 posts in this topic

I bought this book today at the Motor City Show. While it was on my list, it wasn't what I originally thought I'd get at this Show. But, something drew me to it. Maybe because it's much harder to find than B&B #28, GS X-Men #1 or X-Men #94? I first read this story a long time ago. I belive I have it reprinted in a 1980 World's Finest pocket book. Since World's Finest has always been on my Want List (though not as active for years), I have been looking for this one. I guess I could call this a pseudo-grail acquisition today. lol

The staples are still secure. The book is sound. But Golden Age books throw me a bit in terms of grading.

superman76.jpg[/img]

superman76b.jpg[/img]

I tend to undergrade GA books. If this was a BA book, I think it's no better than a 3.0. But I seem to think there's a bit of a "curve" for GA books. It was marked as a 3.5 but I wonder if it could be a VG 4.0?

I'd say solid 3.5 - possible 4.0 in hand, but on the weak side.

Sounds right to me. (thumbs u The ULC, top edge chip and staple areas will hold the grade down, but if the cover colors & gloss are nice in hand I could see it eking out a 4.0. Great book!

3.5 The dealer graded it very well. IMHO

I thought the dealer overall did a good job grading his books. Steve Ritter is his name and I believe it's the first time I've bought from him. The only interesting thing is that he used the entire decimal scale. For example, he had 8.4's, 8.8's, etc.

I'm not sure how to record this in my spreadsheet. I think I'll go the conservative route and call it a 3.5. All I know is it looks good to me for a VG- and I'm happy. It's a time portal to another era. lol