• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Locke and Key

97 posts in this topic

I'm waiting for my first four to arrive, then I'll be all over it!

How much. I got hosed for $19.00 for 2 and 3 but 1 and 4 were cover.

You did pretty well! If you don't like them, I would be happy to take them off your hands :grin::foryou:

The sequence with the painting in the counselor's office in issue #4 was pretty sweet and some what unnerving. I could see how that would be a great movie scene if handled properly.

Based on the sales charts from CGB it looks like 1st prints of issue #2 will be the toughest to find but really the 1st 3 issues have low print runs. And if Dad's fans are trying to get copies, well, comparing the sales figures for Dark Tower II, I can see why prices are so high.

Feb/08

188 Locke & Key 1 $3.99 IDW 7,560

Mar/08

1 Dark Tower: Long Road Home 1 $3.99 Marvel 123,803

213 Locke & Key 2 $3.99 IDW 6,122

April/08

3 Dark Tower Long Road Home 2 $3.99 Marvel 103,008

201 Locke & Key 3 $3.99 IDW 7,504

Looking forward to issue #5! :applause:

Even without the #'s, I would agree that #2 will be the tough one. Not to mention, it appears to be the 1st appearance of the evil being.

The #s are ridiculously low. Aren't they comparable to Walking Dead?

Check this out. I go into a store. Ask if they have any Locke & Key 1st prints. He says: Nah, I'm sold out (this was a couple weeks ago). I tell him about how hot it is and the growing interest. About 5 minutes later, he says that he only has a few #1's on the rack. I'm like, what the truck? He thought I meant #3!!!! Turns out, all were sold but 1. But hey, can't complain. Just crazy how people think.

Pat

Even without the #'s, I would agree that #2 will be the tough one. Not to mention, it appears to be the 1st appearance of the evil being.

The #s are ridiculously low. Aren't they comparable to Walking Dead?

Check this out. I go into a store. Ask if they have any Locke & Key 1st prints. He says: Nah, I'm sold out (this was a couple weeks ago). I tell him about how hot it is and the growing interest. About 5 minutes later, he says that he only has a few #1's on the rack. I'm like, what the truck? He thought I meant #3!!!! Turns out, all were sold but 1. But hey, can't complain. Just crazy how people think.

Pat

LCS #2 (second resort if 1 fails) had 2 issues of number one, but wouldnt let me buy both. I am still kinda pissed about that. But I should have my other 2 books in a few days.

Score! I went to this little hole in the wall shop near my office. This place has 90% of whatever's hot at a given moment because it seems like NO ONE looks beyond the 'new this week' rack. In the past I've found a number of other books for cover that I was able to flip for multiple times that price. They had a 1st print Locke & Key #1, but 2nd prints of 2 and 3, no 4s. So I was pretty happy with that $4.32 purchase. The other shop I checked over the weekend had a coupe 1p1s, but for $28 each. Usually that shop is pretty slow on 'hot book' pricing, but not this time.

I have no idea what the future is for a book like this. While most of the time things fall off after a month or so, possibly all the way back to cover price or less, I think this one will have some legs. I have no idea why Walking Dead #1 became a $100 book. Yes, print run was small. Yes, Kirkman became something of a name after it came out (along with Invincible and working with Marvel). Yes, it's a good book. But that combination has happened before, and not yielded a genuinely sought-after book. Locke & Key has a fairly well-known author (or at least the genes). It has low print runs. It may be a quality book, haven't read it yet. And there's always the movie idea. I'm always a bird-in-the-hand investor when it comes to comics, so normally I'd be listing it tonight, but I think this one might be a hold. It might just be catching on now and be an easy $50+ in another month. If it keeps up the release schedule it'll help solidify demand, and when a trade comes out will be a key factor.

Just got back from my LCS. They had 3 #1's bagged (they heat seal their back issues), 2 stated 2nd print one didn't state. I took the chance even though the employee said that the guy probably just got lazy and forgot to mark it, he was right it was a 2nd print. meh

Ugh. my lcs owner said mine were first prints. I took his word. Survey says....ENNNNNNNN. 2nd prints. Got my money back and not going back there for a long time.

Score! I went to this little hole in the wall shop near my office. This place has 90% of whatever's hot at a given moment because it seems like NO ONE looks beyond the 'new this week' rack. In the past I've found a number of other books for cover that I was able to flip for multiple times that price. They had a 1st print Locke & Key #1, but 2nd prints of 2 and 3, no 4s. So I was pretty happy with that $4.32 purchase. The other shop I checked over the weekend had a coupe 1p1s, but for $28 each. Usually that shop is pretty slow on 'hot book' pricing, but not this time.

I have no idea what the future is for a book like this. While most of the time things fall off after a month or so, possibly all the way back to cover price or less, I think this one will have some legs. I have no idea why Walking Dead #1 became a $100 book. Yes, print run was small. Yes, Kirkman became something of a name after it came out (along with Invincible and working with Marvel). Yes, it's a good book. But that combination has happened before, and not yielded a genuinely sought-after book. Locke & Key has a fairly well-known author (or at least the genes). It has low print runs. It may be a quality book, haven't read it yet. And there's always the movie idea. I'm always a bird-in-the-hand investor when it comes to comics, so normally I'd be listing it tonight, but I think this one might be a hold. It might just be catching on now and be an easy $50+ in another month. If it keeps up the release schedule it'll help solidify demand, and when a trade comes out will be a key factor.

I took the bird in the hand route and after 1 day on ebay the BIN of 24.99 was hit

After listing fees, paypal fees, FV fees and the cost of the book I still feel the 15.00+ or so profit I made on a book I bought 4 days ago for cover price was a good turn around.

To many times I have waited until it was to late to flip a hot "NEW" book..not this time. I was not willing to chance the wait of a month, even though I had little in the book and its a good read.

--- I will probably be wrong but it will not be the first...or last time ---

In most cases, I agree to dump it for the current craze. But I think this book will also go higher. Not sure if it will hold. All depends on how well it's written as time moves on. The hiatus' could be good or bad too. Just too hard to tell.

Pat

All right, I just received and read my copies of issues 1-4. I think I can sum it up with this little guy: icon_eek1.gif

This is a really good read! It fails to fit into any genre. It's not straight horror, there's a crime element. It's not straight crime, there's a fantasy element. It's not straight fantasy, there's a teen angst element. I feel a lot like I did the first time I picked up Gaiman's Sandman. Joe Hill is no Neil Gaiman (yet?) but he is better then at least 90% of the writers in the business today. The characters are strong and draw you in. After finishing I actually care what happens to these people and can't wait for the series to finish but I also don't really want it to end either.

The art is fantastic as well. Gabriel Rodriguez has a knack for drawing the reader in as much as Joe Hill does. After about six pages I no longer noticed the art. That sounds like a back-handed compliment, but it's not. I was pulled into the story and simply quit paying attention to the individual pages and panels and saw the story as a whole. His panels move everything along nicely, the characters are easily distinguishable (don't laugh, it's something that most artists today can't seem to do) and he has his own style.

All I can say after the first four issues is that I fully understand the hype about this book now and every bit of it is well-deserved.

(thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (out of five)

All right, I just received and read my copies of issues 1-4. I think I can sum it up with this little guy: icon_eek1.gif

This is a really good read! It fails to fit into any genre. It's not straight horror, there's a crime element. It's not straight crime, there's a fantasy element. It's not straight fantasy, there's a teen angst element. I feel a lot like I did the first time I picked up Gaiman's Sandman. Joe Hill is no Neil Gaiman (yet?) but he is better then at least 90% of the writers in the business today. The characters are strong and draw you in. After finishing I actually care what happens to these people and can't wait for the series to finish but I also don't really want it to end either.

The art is fantastic as well. Gabriel Rodriguez has a knack for drawing the reader in as much as Joe Hill does. After about six pages I no longer noticed the art. That sounds like a back-handed compliment, but it's not. I was pulled into the story and simply quit paying attention to the individual pages and panels and saw the story as a whole. His panels move everything along nicely, the characters are easily distinguishable (don't laugh, it's something that most artists today can't seem to do) and he has his own style.

All I can say after the first four issues is that I fully understand the hype about this book now and every bit of it is well-deserved.

(thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (out of five)

That good ? Maybe the hype wont die down ? I am still waiting on my issues. I really hope it is as good as you say.

I just noticed the cover to #4 has a signature of 'DL 98'. I had wondered if Rodriguez did that piece since it's in a much different style that the rest of the book, maybe an inspiration for the story.

Wait, duh, it's Darnell Locke or whatever the uncle's name is. We're told in #3 that he did the drawing/painting in the school office, and that image just happens to be the cover of #4. OK, effective reading techniques will now be employed.