• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC holder damage to book

63 posts in this topic

Too bad the book in the PGX holder has color touch, trimming, and a married cover. :baiting:

And you know that how? It may well be trimmed, but color touching, I dn't see it, although I don't doubt your assement if you know the book has had these done, true? Or is that just your summary of their practices? FWIW, I have heard the same charges against PGX, I have also heard that they do have better holders, do they also use the microchamber paper (I think that is a plus...) Looking over a 7.5 pgx and a 7.5 cgc, the cgc does look a bit sharper (the pgx is an older book, FWIW), and the TOTU 79, a Big Apple ped, looks to be in an older-style holder, i.e., it does not have the side and bottom wings to hold the book place more securely. In addition, the TOTU 79 is noted as a 7.0, which seems an overgrade to me, particularly insofar as the noted with "cream-to off white pages" and a corner crease about an inch in from the lower right and 3 inches long, the same spot that the corner broke off. Of particular note, the cover is not white, but tanned, no doubt due to the page acid leaking into the cover and probably making the cover brittle, hence the corner break off. Which brings up a point, when there is tanning of the pages which then affects the cover, shouldn't that also be noted in the grading? From what I am learning (since I am somewhat of a beginner) is that the tanning can or will lead to brittle pages, correct? Sorry for the lack of a scan, but need a new scanner, and I will post up the pic soon...thanks for the help, much appreciated! (BTW, is there a topic here on the boards recalling CGC holder damage to books, particularly corner blunting and the like?)

DICE! Play nicely with the newbies. (tsk)

:(

If you really want to ensure that a book is not damaged in transit, pack it securely.

All the bubble wrap in the world won't make a bit of difference if the book is sliding around INSIDE the holder. The Big Apples are often quite toasty with a dark edge halo evident on the inside of the covers. It would not surprise me at all to see a corner chip right off if it impacted with the inner rail.

The near-archival quality of CGC inner wells, the acid-free microchamber paper, and the silicate dessicant are real advantages of the CGC product.

Silicate dessicant? Where? Sprinkled between the pages?

:baiting:

I never see PGX ever set-up at a major con or ever trying to improve themselves.

Don't take this wrong, I would never defend the "fly by night" practices of PGX, but I don't even go to conventions and I've "seen them at conventions", just a week ago as a matter of fact.

pgx_booth.jpg

And here's Ryan Eliott in the PGX boot:

re_1.jpg

And here's Ryan stashing books he's bought at the PGX booth (he did this all weekend at the con):

re_2.jpg

re_3.jpg

And then the following week he has some of the books listed for sale under this eBay ID:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZsbjstuff

Smells like.........

I never see PGX ever set-up at a major con or ever trying to improve themselves.

Don't take this wrong, I would never defend the "fly by night" practices of PGX, but I don't even go to conventions and I've "seen them at conventions", just a week ago as a matter of fact.

pgx_booth.jpg

That dude can't even dress him self correctly, no wonder they grade half a s s!

hm

pgx_booth.jpg

And here's Ryan Eliott in the PGX boot:

re_1.jpg

And here's Ryan stashing books he's bought at the PGX booth (he did this all weekend at the con):

re_2.jpg

re_3.jpg

And then the following week he has some of the books listed for sale under this eBay ID:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZsbjstuff

Smells like.........

Their banner says you "can't judge a book by it's cover"--that's fine and well, but when you print up banners it's best to use its properly. :tonofbricks: A shout-out to all ye English nerds. :baiting:

I've said it before, but the decision that I made to not send my first submission to PGX is the best collecting decision I have ever made.

(thumbs u

Their banner says you "can't judge a book by it's cover"--that's fine and well, but when you print up banners it's best to use its properly. :tonofbricks: A shout-out to all ye English nerds. :baiting:

Not only that, but it also explains all of the crack-out horror stories where there are loose centerfolds or horrendous interior page tears. It appears they really are cover grading those babies. :insane:

Not only that, but it also explains all of the crack-out horror stories where there are loose centerfolds or horrendous interior page tears. It appears they really are cover grading those babies. :insane:

God PGX sucks!

Somebody cue up Bo Diddley's "You Can't Judge a Book by Looking at the Cover." PGX theme song blues? :shrug:

For your information on page/paper quality-Cream to Off-white is acceptable up to a NM- 9.2, so a FN/VF 7.0 would be having the higher paper/page quality for it's grade.

Um, that would be "its grade." :baiting:

If you really want to ensure that a book is not damaged in transit, pack it securely.

All the bubble wrap in the world won't make a bit of difference if the book is sliding around INSIDE the holder. The Big Apples are often quite toasty with a dark edge halo evident on the inside of the covers. It would not surprise me at all to see a corner chip right off if it impacted with the inner rail.

The near-archival quality of CGC inner wells, the acid-free microchamber paper, and the silicate dessicant are real advantages of the CGC product.

Silicate dessicant? Where? Sprinkled between the pages?

:baiting:

Zipper, you got that in one! The holders were packed quite nicely, but that book in that holder slides like a base runner!