• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC holder damage to book

63 posts in this topic

The holders were packed quite nicely, but that book in that holder slides like a base runner!

I just flashed back to watching Pete Rose dive head first to tag the bag and getting up looking like he just got his @zz kicked........

"CGC holders......built like Pete Rose."

For your information on page/paper quality-Cream to Off-white is acceptable up to a NM- 9.2, so a FN/VF 7.0 would be having the higher paper/page quality for it's grade.

Thanks for the info. That grading standard seems to me to be BS insofar as that while pulp can have a fair amount of tanning before becoming brittle, the cover paper, which is a clay-wash type (please correct me if wrong) cannot stand the same level of tanning without becoming brittle, hence chipping and the like with covers that have acid migration from the interior pages to the cover and back pages. I think that whomever sets the standards for grading should rethink this and deduct points for tanned cover pages. (a story a dealer told me was he had a highly desireable GA book with a beautiful cover that had tanning on the inside, several years later when he took it out, the cover chipped like crazy and he ended up selling it for a fraction of what he was offered when first received)

I believe they downgrade a book for the condition of the coverstock..i.e.. tanned..chipped..brittle..sun..dust shadows and factor it into the overall grade.

The PQ designation on the label refers to the interiors only.

And if I read you right I imagine the book in your story was already tanned before it was ever slabbed, and due to mishandling it became chipped once cracked out rendering the previous grade useless.. sounds like he shoulda kept it in the slab. :eek:

I never see PGX ever set-up at a major con or ever trying to improve themselves.

Don't take this wrong, I would never defend the "fly by night" practices of PGX, but I don't even go to conventions and I've "seen them at conventions", just a week ago as a matter of fact.

pgx_booth.jpg

And here's Ryan Eliott in the PGX boot:

re_1.jpg

And here's Ryan stashing books he's bought at the PGX booth (he did this all weekend at the con):

re_2.jpg

re_3.jpg

And then the following week he has some of the books listed for sale under this eBay ID:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZsbjstuff

Smells like.........

But, OldGuy...

I thought PGX and Ryan Eliott were not in cahoots?

I mean like...what the *fork*?

*gasp!*

:o

:think: Cal might need to look into that IMSM #1 on display on one of those tables. Wonder if the king of IMSMs welcomes PGX books?

Probably, he has no problem doing business with Danny Dupcak.

:think: Cal might need to look into that IMSM #1 on display on one of those tables. Wonder if the king of IMSMs welcomes PGX books?

Probably, he has no problem doing business with Danny Dupcak.

:whatthe:

The near-archival quality of CGC inner wells, the acid-free microchamber paper, and the silicate dessicant are real advantages of the CGC product.

Silicate dessicant? Where? Sprinkled between the pages?

:baiting:

My mistake. I was thinking of a Fortress, which is no longer in production. Those did have a silicate dessicant. I do stand by "near-archival", though. If the entire product were Mylar, then I'd remove the modifier.

I believe they downgrade a book for the condition of the coverstock..i.e.. tanned..chipped..brittle..sun..dust shadows and factor it into the overall grade.

And if I read you right I imagine the book in your story was already tanned before it was ever slabbed, and due to mishandling it became chipped once cracked out rendering the previous grade useless.. sounds like he shoulda kept it in the slab. :eek:

Nope, Ze-Man, the way I know it was the holder's problem is the corner piece is right there with the book! I can move the book around by EASILY shaking it to get the broken-off corner piece to match up closely with the corner... (I can also move the book away from the corner piece, so, no doubt, happened in the case!)

Nope, Ze-Man, the way I know it was the holder's problem is the corner piece is right there with the book! I can move the book around by EASILY shaking it to get the broken-off corner piece to match up closely with the corner... (I can also move the book away from the corner piece, so, no doubt, happened in the case!)

BTW, I previously misspoke about the corner crease, I see now that the corner crease is really the corner about to break off a larger triangular piece! the crease does not go from the bottom to the side, like a real crease would do...

My advice is to continue shaking the book. Vigorously and often.

I was talking about the book you mentioned from the dealers story, not the book you made the thread about. I was under the impression the book became chipped after he removed the book from the holder. (a story a dealer told me was he had a highly desireable GA book with a beautiful cover that had tanning on the inside, several years later when he took it out, the cover chipped like crazy and he ended up selling it for a fraction of what he was offered when first received)

Regardless I have no doubt a book that is brittle-ish is at risk in any type of sealed holder, nature of the beast. And while not exactly sure how many books they turn away, I know CGC now does turn away quite a few books due to excessive overhang and being brittle.

The holder is flawed to be sure, but as has been discussed many times before the service offered is not without merit, sadly some books pay a price after being slabbed. Sorry to hear about your damage.

And while the tapered edge of the PGX holder is perhaps gentler on the edges of a book it also is harder on the staple areas from the friction created by the pressure and contact of the innerwell. Still waiting to see down the road if any SA/GA PGX books start to show signs of staples pulling away from the cover, that would be horrific.

In addition, some (read: many) cognoscenti opine that the grading quality and consistency of CGG/PGA/PGX is, to put it mildly, suspect.

I just had my last PGX sub to CGC grade come back. It is a 1973 DC bronze book.

PGX: 9.6

CGC: 9.0

There was a production defect on the bottom of the book...PGX ignored it..CGC slammed it.

At least there was no detected restoration :doh:

In addition, some (read: many) cognoscenti opine that the grading quality and consistency of CGG/PGA/PGX is, to put it mildly, suspect.

I just had my last PGX sub to CGC grade come back. It is a 1973 DC bronze book.

PGX: 9.6

CGC: 9.0

There was a production defect on the bottom of the book...PGX ignored it..CGC slammed it.

At least there was no detected restoration :doh:

:baiting:

Looks like I got the last PGX to CGC upgrade :luhv:

If your name was Ryan, you could get them upgraded the other way. :gossip:

]

I was talking about the book you mentioned from the dealers story, not the book you made the thread about. I was under the impression the book became chipped after he removed the book from the holder. (a story a dealer told me was he had a highly desireable GA book with a beautiful cover that had tanning on the inside, several years later when he took it out, the cover chipped like crazy and he ended up selling it for a fraction of what he was offered when first received)

Regardless I have no doubt a book that is brittle-ish is at risk in any type of sealed holder, nature of the beast. And while not exactly sure how many books they turn away, I know CGC now does turn away quite a few books due to excessive overhang and being brittle.

The holder is flawed to be sure, but as has been discussed many times before the service offered is not without merit, sadly some books pay a price after being slabbed. Sorry to hear about your damage.

And while the tapered edge of the PGX holder is perhaps gentler on the edges of a book it also is harder on the staple areas from the friction created by the pressure and contact of the innerwell. Still waiting to see down the road if any SA/GA PGX books start to show signs of staples pulling away from the cover, that would be horrific.

I think the dealer had his book in a Mylar, not a CGC, when he took it out of the Mylar, the cover started to fall to pieces. I think the moral is that buying books with tanned covers is asking for trouble... BTW, I noticed that some of my slabes have tanned top pages, but the bottom and sides are much less tanned, even white! That begs the question if keeping books in open top Mylars provides more chance for acidic damage than in flapped Mylars (Mylites 2), thanks!

That is a real nice picture of Teren err Ryan

Who is the guy in the white socks and sandals? And who is the guy in the AF 15 T shirt?

I presume Patterson is one of them...

anyone know?