• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you store your art?

18 posts in this topic

Mine is in a large box, only 5 inches high but fits all my art...so far!

West

In mylar I hope hm

if pages are stacked on top of each other, over time the inks can transfer on to the back of the art laying on top of it. Or worse, onto the front of the art if they are face to face. :o

Mike

Mine is in a large box, only 5 inches high but fits all my art...so far!

West

In mylar I hope hm

if pages are stacked on top of each other, over time the inks can transfer on to the back of the art laying on top of it. Or worse, onto the front of the art if they are face to face. :o

Mike

Do they make mylar sleeves for comic art?

Most of my art isn't line art but paintings and I have over 200 of them. What is the best way to store full sized paintings of different sizes in bulk?

I have the same problem obviously if in lesser quantity. Right now I'm holding onto any large art boxes I get from shipments and putting them in there. 2 boxes holds everything for now. What are you currently doing?

I store art in mylars and then in acid free portfolio boxes (about 1.5" deep) from art supplier Blick. I don't like portfolio binders because of the way the art bends when pages are turned.

I have the same problem obviously if in lesser quantity. Right now I'm holding onto any large art boxes I get from shipments and putting them in there. 2 boxes holds everything for now. What are you currently doing?

I have 4-5 boxes that are full plus a foot and a half stack of them on a desk. I can't keep them this way, I know.

I store art in mylars and then in acid free portfolio boxes (about 1.5" deep) from art supplier Blick. I don't like portfolio binders because of the way the art bends when pages are turned.

sounds like a good idea - is it these boxes you're using? Having looked over the website it seemed like the best option for storing a lot of art as they are reasonably priced and come in sizes large enough to accomodate most paintings.

http://www.dickblick.com/zz153/02/

If you are running out of space and need to go "vertical", the heavy duty adjustable steel shelves they sell at Home Depot, Lowes, or the Container Store can certaintly support the weight on each shelf (i.e., 300 lbs). They are usually 18 x 36 x 72. The Container store sells shelves 18 x 48.

I would also recommend getting wheels for the shelves in case you have to move the entire shelf.

Cheers!

N

Mike

Is this common? :o I have a lot of single pages in mylar with an acid free backing board - so can ink and/or marker transfer to the backing board? I've never seen it myself - how long does it take to happen?

Mike

Is this common? :o How long does it take to happen? I have a lot of single pages in mylar with an acid free backing board...

I have never heard of that. I do have stacks of cheap pages with no mylar. I also double up pages in mylar (back to back) since I have so many pages. Can anyone else confirm this? If India Ink is so permanent that it won't fade with sunlight etc etc, I don't see how it would transfer..

Malvin

Mike

Is this common? :o How long does it take to happen? I have a lot of single pages in mylar with an acid free backing board...

I have never heard of that. I do have stacks of cheap pages with no mylar. I also double up pages in mylar (back to back) since I have so many pages. Can anyone else confirm this? If India Ink is so permanent that it won't fade with sunlight etc etc, I don't see how it would transfer..

Malvin

I don't have any pages where this has occurred but I have seen them. It's not like you can see the images from each page against each other but there are certain lines that may transfer.

Mike

Can anyone else confirm this?

Malvin

Yes, I can confirm this :(

I purchased a stack of art once. One of the pages was a DPS folded with the art facing outboard. I had another page facing one of these. some of the DPS art left a light yellow "stain" on the other page. And it doesn't take long for the stain to transfer. less than a day. And if the art is stacked with alot of pressure I imagine it would be worse.

If the art is back to back in a mylar it should be fine. I was just mentioning not to have the art "face to face"

Mike

Can anyone else confirm this?

Malvin

I was just mentioning not to have the art "face to face"

ah, ok - sorry, I read it like you've seen art bleed through the back side of the board. :blush:

This ink transfer still surprises me. I mean, if the ink can transfer to another board, can't it transfer to anything? Therefore, even if the art is in mylar, would the mylar get ink transfer over time?

Malvin