• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Daredevil trailer

68 posts in this topic

jr. blade would be almost okay. This isn't even that stylish. Blade's costume said "bad with a great tailor." Bullseye's costume says "lame- bedwetter who can barely dress himself."

It's a horror! I've gotta' get out to Hollywood. I'd strike more fear and amazement in the hearts and imaginations of movie-goers in these flics, walking around in my everyday duds, just being ME, than these ridiculously portrayed heroes and villains. No makeup necessary...I even have the horns to boot!!! smirk.gif

Well, everybody knows I'm a pretty cynical guy, but I actually think the trailer's not half-bad. As long as you don't compare the movie to Frank Miller's original classics and instead think more along the lines of Blade I and II, I don't think you'll be too disappointed.

But I agree - this flick does not have the look of a major blockbuster. I think at best it will fare as well as Blade I and II (which is still not bad, except when compared to Spidey), but the risks to the box office gross are all skewed to the downside.

And, Jennifer Garner in that white top is SMOOOOOOOKIN'...!!

Gene

Actually, the director originally wanted to go with the comic-version of the Bullseye costume but that bloated insufficiently_thoughtful_person Quesada said he'd "look like a tool" and talked him out of it. I don't think anything could scream "tool" as loud as this version of Bullseye.

Here's the link:

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0210/14/index.htm

I think Bullseye would look killer in a black leather outfit emulating his comic book attire. Kind of like an anti-Batman fighting the red-garbed, blind Batman.

Whoever thought up that ultra-lame, no-cosutme, leather jacket reject, stupid bullseye mark on the forehead, super-lame movie costume should be publicly flogged. If it was Joe Q., better bring 5-10 whips, since that's a lot of real estate to cover.

Joe Q. must think he's got more than 2-3 brain cells to rub together:

Mark Steven Johnson, director of the upcoming Daredevil movie, said that Marvel Comics editor-in-chief Joe Quesada helped him to decide to deviate from the comics' version of the Bullseye costume.

"I was going to do the Bullseye costume just like the comic book," Johnson said during a recent convention appearance. "And I told Joe this, and Joe said, 'You're crazy. He's going to look like a tool.' I was like, 'No, it's going to be cool, and I'm going to do it exactly like the comic.

That is the point where Johnson should have laid out the big tub of Marvel Lard and just stuck to redesigning a classic costume (much the way he did DD's) and Q-Tip should stick to over-paying comic creators and turning the rows of sleeping bags in his basement.

I wonder how many people (who bought those over-priced Daredevil 131's) are gonna come out of the theatre steamed? Even if the movie isn't a total bomb, the movie character has absolutely no likeness (other than the name) to the one in the comics, and prices will likely decline right back to pre-hype levels.

Getting $500+ for a CGC 9.4 of DD 131 has to be the Rook of the Year.

i have always thought bullseye was a pretty lame loser type character (so did many others, judging by guide value of dd #131) and the movie will just prove it to the masses grin.gifwink.gif

the handfull of collectors touting it as a major key were fooling only themselves IMHO

Hmmm...

I am siding with Gene on this one.

The trailer looked pretty good to me.

Not sure where all your objections came in?

Special effects looked pretty tight, with some great action scenes. They got my $8.00!

I'm not crazy about bullseye, or Michael Clarke Duncans horrific acting ability (granted he did fantastic in the Green Mile, with very little dialogue)

Jennifer Garner will steal the supporting actor show anyway!

I bet this movie does upwards of $150 million easy.

No idea what they budgetted on it after advertising.

Let the flames begin!

grin.gif M

Here's what I disliked about the trailer:

1) It started off with the standard "police deny existence of XXXX", a scene so overused and cliche it would make Stan Lee blush. Please see Batman or The Crow for almost a word-for-word recition of same.

2) Daredevil's calling card is unique to say the least. Some would say it's a riff off The Crow (or myriad other movies/comics) but DD's has a twist. He apparently pisses out lighter fluid in a shape of double-D's, but DOESN'T LIGHT IT. Pretty cool if you ask me, and if you want to know where he's been, you apparently have to start dropping matches or lit cigarettes around, hoping to get one to flare up.

3) Daredevil apparently has super-human strength and leaping ability, and he's jumping 15-20 feet in the air, climbing walls and whacking baddies around like Spidey. Maybe he got bit by a radioactive blind man?

4) Nothing surprised me. During that part where Daredevil runs at a motorcycle-riding Bullseye, I was praying that DD wouldn't do the obvious, leaping up in the air and kick him off the bike. If we are to respect Bullseye as an opponent, surely he'd get out of the way, pull a wheely or give DD a shot of his own.

But no, DD gets a clean kick to the chin, instead of doing something innovative like a shuck and jive move, then a clothesline shot when Bullseye took the bait. Give us anything but what we expect to happen, and preserve the villain as a force to be reckoned with.

5) I was also counting the minutes until Bullseye was shown falling to his death, and I didn't have to wait long. Scratch one villain, using another cliched ending.

6) Bullseye looks, acts and fights like a loser. Even on a motorbike, he can't evade a running DD's kick, his sai throw at Elektra is way off the mark (his new nic should be "Blindeye") and that dent in his forehead is too lame for words. I'm hoping it gave him brain damage and that's the excuse for his "Comedy Hitman Act".

At the end of the clip, I was left shaking my head, wondering who wrote this schlock (maybe someone just jumbled the Batman and Crow screenplays together?) and if the studio heads enforced some "paint by numbers" route for a superhero movie to follow.

This is gonna be bad folks.

I don't think the trailer sucks quite as bad as the majority feeling expressed here... I would rather see the whole film before deciding. Honestly, I'm just thrilled that we've finally arrived at a point and time that film/digital technology has allowed these super hero films to truly come to life. As such, I'm willing to "try" my best to set aside as many of my own preconceived notions and expectations as possible... and give the creative team a fair shot at entertaining me (and hopefully not me off entirely.)

I don't want to walk in the theater having already decided that the movie sucks just from the trailer. I think we should all try not to arrive at a conclusion right now that may prevent us from "possibly" enjoying this film. After expecting X-men to be exactly the way I envisioned the characters (I was one of the few that disliked as much as I liked), I realized that I had to let go a bit and suspend some of my own perceptions, just as we have to suspend reality in the first place to accept comic characters as being real and enjoy the medium. I plan on trying to do this not only for DD, but for each and every comic movie that is put out.

As I recall, the early reaction to the Spidey trailers(s) was not overly optimistic either? I remember hearing many who saw a pre-screening at some convention being very disappointed with that version. I believe it was re-tooled and improved but I don't remember if the sentiment was swayed all that much even then. I think the last one I saw shortly before the release was pretty good though. (Does anyone know how many different versions of the trailer were put out?) Anyway... look how that turned out. You can't always tell for sure from the trailer(s)... BUT this was supposed to be the best DD trailer and I'm not "blind" enough to say (from what little I saw) that it looks like an outright blockbuster either, I saw several things that made me concerned and hopefully they will not cause the film to be personally disappointing after seeing it all.

I have to admit I'm not crazy about the way Bullseye looks so far (I wanted to see the costume used) or his abilities as demonstrated in the trailer. CI's observations are far more accurate (on target) than Bullseye's weak demonstration of marksmanship. To be true to the character, any weapon he unleashes should be on target... period! It should be heading for a fatal strike. To survive, the hero is simply quick enough to move out of the sure-deathstrike path of the particular object... or his own attack has forced the weapon off target. Elektra calmly snagging the Sai out of the air without having to move out of the way at all, is not what we know of Bullseye's ability. After seeing the movie, if he's not reminiscent of Miller's demented portrayal at all, I will have a difficult time not being let down.

I'm also one of the few that wanted to see Elektra in her more traditional outfit as well, even if it could not be all red. Elektra is not a piece of to me... she's a complex character. I'm hoping to see a darker portrayal and so far it looks like a tease and pick up jokes... but maybe there is enough darkness portrayed in the film to satisfy me.

Oh well, I better stop analyzing it too much or I'll fall into the trap I'm trying to convince you all to avoid.

In regards to DD 131, as mentioned in other threads... not all of us like Bullseye or wanted the book because of the movie and his appearance in it. I wanted, and was looking for the book in HG for a long time prior to the movie announcement... and finally acquired my 9.6 on May 11 for $405 (Sully soon after on May 19 at $430). The 2nd copy I bought was just to potentially upgrade PQ as I had an arrangement made in which at most I would have paid a nominal fee to upgrade. As it turned out my 9.6 oww was structurally superior to the 9.6 W... so I gave it up at cost. Believe it or not, even as a big Bullseye fan, I would not be very excited to pay $900+ for a 9.6 either.

Simply put, to some of us that experienced the magic of the Miller DD run when it was happening, and ran home to read each issue the moment we bought it, Bullseye will always be one of our favorite characters, and DD 131 a key in our minds, (even if it was not a Miller version of him). Bullseye was just awesome in the Miller DD run and although I have not read the books yet, I hear K. Smith's use of the character was well respected too, later on. That's what makes the comic collecting world go around anyway folks. We all like certain characters and to someone who likes a particular character, even issues that seem irrelevant and nothing special to others, they have a completely different meaning/value to those who like the character regardless if the masses consider it a key or not. I think the theory that the movie is the only catalyst for anyone wanting this book, is far from accurate. If one does not like Bullseye, you don't relate... so don't buy DD 131, but give people who like him and want a high grade 131 a break already, (even if they think it will rise in value). Feel free to bust on a clueless speculator that never read a Miller DD or has any connection with the character at all and is planning on making $900 on a 9.4 in January... that's worthy.

Now let's try and enjoy the movie with an open mind... if it sucks, then rip it to shreds.

Elektra is not a piece of to me... she's a complex character. I'm hoping to see a darker portrayal and so far it looks like a tease and pick up jokes...

Just like the Ms. Natchios in Ultimate DD & Elektra #1!! (see my review in the "Modern Comics" forum). But Jennifer Garner is way hotter (sigh)...

Gene