• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anyone explain this to me?? CGC 9.4!

12 posts in this topic

yeah I would say if this bothers you and it would me I probably wouldn't buy this book if i really needed it for a spot in my collection. Maybe it is struturely a 9.8 and they did hit it a little.

I always hated the offcenter books and when I got back into the hobby I was shocked that it doesn't seem to matter at all. What made it especially odd is that in the baseball card hobby, centering is critical to the grade of the cards.

One hobby's pet peeve seems to be accepted just fine here, but I definitely see where you are coming from Robtothec and I agree with Mutie that I would rather wait for another copy and be buying the book I like not the slab.

When I was younger, like in my early to mid twenties, so 20+ years ago, I wouldn't grade badly off center books higher than a VF/VF+ because I thought it was a defect. How can something like that be called NM? I see that CGC does it and I have always wondering why. Hence I threw the question out there.

Thanks for the responses!!

off-center books may not take a hit from CGC, but they will from buyers - and it's not like it's a hidden defect - so no harm, no foul.

Late GA is even worse than the BA for miscut books.

I always hated the offcenter books and when I got back into the hobby I was shocked that it doesn't seem to matter at all. What made it especially odd is that in the baseball card hobby, centering is critical to the grade of the cards.

One hobby's pet peeve seems to be accepted just fine here, but I definitely see where you are coming from Robtothec and I agree with Mutie that I would rather wait for another copy and be buying the book I like not the slab.

Miscuts do matter to most collectors. However, there are those that put the label ahead of the book and there are those who do not see the miscut, as aesthetics is not their strong suit.