• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yesterday's Heritage Auction session

14 posts in this topic

For example, take page 6 which sold for 28,680 US dollar.

This equates to 18,180 Euro today.

This equates to 19,345 Euro 6 months ago.

This equates to 21,360 Euro 1 year ago.

It may be a bad assumption that Kirby art is widely collected in Europe.

The bottom line is that European collectors have gained 17.5% more buying power in the last 12 months from the weaking US dollar. Another way to look at it is that if they waited the year to purchase a piece they saved 17.5%.

Edwin

For example, take page 6 which sold for 28,680 US dollar.

This equates to 18,180 Euro today.

This equates to 19,345 Euro 6 months ago.

This equates to 21,360 Euro 1 year ago.

It may be a bad assumption that Kirby art is widely collected in Europe.

The bottom line is that European collectors have gained 17.5% more buying power in the last 12 months from the weaking US dollar. Another way to look at it is that if they waited the year to purchase a piece they saved 17.5%.

Edwin

When I first started collecting OA 26 years ago, exchange rates were similar to today - due to a (then) strong £ (we don't use Euros in the UK, yet).

Over the years, and I've been buying constantly, there have been times when the exchange rate was something like a low £1 = $1.40.

On top of that (which you don't take into the equation), we have to pay import tax.

Now it's hovering around the £1 = $1.97 mark.

That's great, but most of the art I collect seems to spiral upwards in price (and if I waited a year to buy something, chances are I'd see more price increases).

My bank account doesn't always look very healthy, despite wonderful-looking exchange rates, I can assure you.

Not only do I buy what I like . . . more importantly, I buy what I can afford.

And that's not always a great deal (which is why I often have to sell art to fund new purchases).

It's a krazy hobby, eh?

What do you collect, oh groovy one? How about a link to your own stuff?

I primarly collect lowbrow, underground and pop culture related art. Stuff I like. What I can afford ends up being the biggest factor.

You can view my stuff (sorry for the length of the url but this particular website edits out modified urls that are shorter in length due to being flagged as advertisements):

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=2089

In the last couple of years I am seeing more art heading to Europe as the exchange rate gets more in favor of the Euro.

In response to Clem, I recall seeing vastly more Kirby pages in the last 10 years than Ditko pages. Did a quick search of the Heritage database and found 740 Kirby auctions versus 99 Ditko auctions. This was done on original art and does not factor in pieces listed multiple times, nor does it factor in the individual who inked over the pencils or the importance of the piece to collectors.

Edwin

In response to Clem, I recall seeing vastly more Kirby pages in the last 10 years than Ditko pages. Did a quick search of the Heritage database and found 740 Kirby auctions versus 99 Ditko auctions. This was done on original art and does not factor in pieces listed multiple times, nor does it factor in the individual who inked over the pencils or the importance of the piece to collectors.

That's not surprising considering that Kirby's body of work dwarfs Ditko's. In fact, I'm surprised that the amount of Kirby pieces is only 7.5X greater. I would've thought it'd be more like 20X.

Their Ditko sales were mostly pre-hero stories/pages, DC, and Charlton work along with a few Spidey's.