• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slab looks like it has an oil slick on it? Should I worry?

14 posts in this topic

I've got a slabbed Superboy book that, when I hold it at the right angle, it looks like there is a 2" x 2" oil slick over Superboy's face. Could someone tell me what causes this? Is it moisture? I'm wondering if I should have it reslabbed.

Thanks for any help.

Can you post a picture? I think I know what you are talking about. Its usually on the outside of the inner sleeve and does not affect the book.

Here's a scan. I don't know how well you are going to see it, but there are small "oil slick" looking spots all around his face. It looks like it's between the case and the inner well, so I don't think it would affect the book, but it looks kind of fugly, because when you hold the book up all you can see is an oil slick. :(

Any suggestions for getting rid of it?

superboy105front.jpg

This is perfectly normal. If it really bothers you that bad crack it out and read it.

It's one of the few slabs I haven't cracked. I was definitely thinking about doing just that since I don't have a raw copy of 105.

It is the refraction of light in through the plastic. You can occasionally see the same thing in a CD case. Even though you can move the "stain" with pressure, it is still just the flexibilty of the inner sleeve that moves the area and extent of refraction.

It is the refraction of light in through the plastic. Even though you can move the "stain" with pressure, it is still just the flexibilty of the inner sleeve that moves the area and extent of refraction.

hm ... yep, what he said. (thumbs u

shake it !!

Like this... :banana: ?