• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Rankings for Dealers

195 posts in this topic

Good post, but this is east coast bias. Most of your rankings are like Mel Blanc characters from a Warner Brother Cartoons ( aren't most comic people ) .

How about some West Coast dealers anyone ?

Fair criticism. I would probably consider adding Brian Peets -- but my problem in adding west coast guys is that they rarely do east coast shows... most of the major east coast guys do west coast shows.

I don't care for the mixing of auction houses,consignment houses and dealers.Apples,Pears and Oranges.

Absolutely agree. You can't mix Comiclink, Heritage, and Pedigree with show dealers, as they have completely different business models. Nothing against any of them - Pedigree's made me a fair chunk of change - but they can go completely without their own inventory and consign everything. By including them in the list, you're, in effect, measuring Harley, just as an example, against every person in the world who has consigned their book to Comiclink.

And it may be personal bias, but I'd definitely add Al Stoltz and Jeff Weaver to this list, also Dale Roberts. Since I'm not buying high grade, I'd add Marc Nathan as well.

I think when ranking dealers or consignment sites it all comes down to personal bias, and I don't mean that in a bad way. We all have different wants lists and relationships with different dealers or consignment sites, and because of those relationships our milage and opinions obviously vary.

That said I do not think it improper to compare dealers, to consignment sites, to auction houses. Of course they are different beasts. It reminds me of Bob's mantra. "we are all dealers" , to me that means all bets are off.. if you sell comics you are part of the game. Sure some may sell only at conventions, others by running a web or consignment site, others both. For the most part they are all competing for the same dollar.

While I can appreciate the differences between a hard working convention dealer and a Co. such as Heritage, in the end they are both simply moving comics. And ranking them(even if biased) can only lead to a more informed opinion about who your peers think is the cats meow.

Then again, my comic budget is a fraction of what I would like it to be so my experience for the most part of talking to dealers consists of them telling me to stop blocking the HG box's and get them a soda.

And kudos to Brian for taking the time to write up what was all to easy for others to pick apart, but like all good threads there has to be a starting off point.

I have it on good authority that flip flops are much more popular out west than in PA.

That being said, the list seems like a good starting point, albeit a bit top-loaded with auction houses. Seems like an interesting and related thread would be top 10 venues for purchasing books, which opens it up to shows as well as auction houses

I was able to get a rare candid of Yee without his mustache. He is a Brazilian jujitsu master. A god if you will and a practicing sensei. All other dealers wish -if only for a split second- they could be him. What a rare one of kind leader for all to look up to?

5011_13103_241.jpg

lol

What is the point of trumpeting out a book like that? Jesus, man, have a bit more couth than that

What book did Foolkiller trumpet out?

You know Shield, you come across as very angry. All the time.

What is the point of trumpeting out a book like that? Jesus, man, have a bit more couth than that

I was talking to you. I should have replied directly to your post, but it's late and I am lazy to begin with

I was talking to you. I should have replied directly to your post, but it's late and I am lazy to begin with

You forgot a period. Maybe Rocketeer can lend you one?

:foryou:

As for some West Coasters, coming from a current New Yorker:

Terry's Comics is underrated, and one of the best.

For original art, the Donnelly brothers are not without their charm.

Lee's comics can pull a rabbit out of the hat once in a blue moon, (ie Palo Alto Collection) with very fair grading.

A-1 is the main heavy in the heart of Calif,

Ronnie Murry has deals Galore with a good mixed bag

I've left off more periods than you've had dinner, hot or otherwise. Even so, Rocketeer's used enough to replace all of them a thousandfold, complete with superfluous commas as decoration

I think Terry's partner, Dave Reynolds, is one of the best guys in the hobby -- super friendly, tight grader. His reach just isn't big enough to put him on this list. If it was the dealers I liked the most, Gary Platt, Dave Reynolds and Ted VanLiew would all make that list.

I've left off more periods than you've had dinner, hot or otherwise. Even so, Rocketeer's used enough to replace all of them a thousandfold, complete with superfluous commas as decoration

Rivaling even the great Dr. Blake???,,,,,

No way!

You know Shield, you come across as very angry. All the time.

No he doesn't.