• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Rankings for Dealers

195 posts in this topic

What is the point of trumpeting out a book like that? Jesus, man, have a bit more couth than that

I'm uncouth just because I asked about the grade of a book? I've never bought from Bob Storms, and I thought it was strange that two Hangman's were overgraded considering the overwhelming consensus is that Bob is a great grader of raw books.

If you bought either one sight unseen as a VF/NM would you be happy? If someone here ordered that from Mile High Chuck there'd be 3 pages about how sloppy his grading is.

I guess I'm just angry and uncouth to post a scan of two books from a top 10 dealer's list...

Oh, and :mad:

If I bought that sight unseen as a VF/NM I'd want my money back,and I imagine you did as well. I also imagine that refund was not all that hard to get. Was it? That is just as vital in determing who is a good dealer-the ease of getting your money back if not satisfied.

Actually again I've never bought from Bob as I collect one publisher (MLJ/Archie) and he usually doesn't have any books I'd want. He was mentioned in the beginning of this thread so it's really just as simple as I went to his website and saw 2 book that I might want; then I saw the assigned grades and posted them here. I'm not trying to single Bob out as I don't know the man - I'm just trying to get a feel for his grading of golden age. I was trying to get a consensus on whether he grades "soft" on golden age (but perhaps tight on silver?).

If it was just one I might not have said anything, but I thought both the Hangman #4 and #6 were both way overgraded.

I would like to know why this is uncouth, and why this would warrant a somewhat smart-alecky PM from Mr. Storms himself this morning. Believe it or not, I don't have an "agenda" other than to find out how accurate dealers I've haven't done business with before grade.

I'm amazed at all the people who are dissing one auction house and then pledging their undying loyalty to another auction house. There is some serious denial going on here.

No kidding, they're all crooked.

:insane:

On a side note, when are these websites going to join the year 2008? (shrug)

I understand the idea that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but even old cars and houses need new paint from time to time. Most of these sites have the look & feel of websites from 10 years ago. For me, that's another turn off when visiting some of these online destinations. As successful as many of these sites are, I personally think they would find even more success with a 2008 makeover.

That's my 2c

I agree. :eek:

milehighfun.gif

If Bedrock don't stop smoking, that's what he's going to look like in another 15 years.

FK, I like this idea a lot and I think it will have the added benefit of providing some great information to newer members/collectors looking for a reliable mail order/online comic dealer to work with! Just as a means of balancing this thread out, I added a poll with each named dealer to see how the rest of the boards' thought line up with yours!

Top Ten Dealer's Poll

I'm proctoring exams all day tomorrow, so I'll try to run up an average of where everyone's polling results are sitting. (thumbs u It will give me something to do. :)

As promised to read, enjoy, or disregard completely at your leisure!

First number cruncher for you is the Total Number of Votes Received. Initially, I wasn't even planning on including these numbers since ideally there would be an equal number of votes for each dealer/company. However, I found that this was not the case most likely accounting for voters who abstained from certain dealers/companies out of a lack of knowledge, or some other deciding factor.

Second, the #2 table has the top vote getters in each category 1st-10th place + Honorable mentions with the exact number of votes for that category in parenthesis. You'll notice some dealers/companies appear twice which is why I listed the number of votes. For example, while Mile High scored the most votes for the 10th place position, the majority of its votes fell in the Honorable Mention category. So, clearly most board members who voted feel MH is more worthy of an Honorable Mention than an actual placement on the Top Ten List.

The drawback to this is some dealers/companies whose votes were evenly distributed across the rankings did not garner sufficient votes to secure a placement in any category (Steve Ritter/Matt Nelson, Pedigree, Joe Verenault, Motor City Comics).

The third table attempts to come up with an average Top Ten ranking based on members votes. I assigned a weighted value to each place, and multiplied this value by the number of votes. From there, I determined who had the highest average and ranked the dealers/companies accordingly. Obviously, those dealers/companies who received more votes will be more highly favored to place well putting those who received less votes at a disadvantage depending on their general ranking.

Finally,, I've highlight those rankings Fool Killer was correct on in green, those he was close to in yellow (1 rank margin of error to the left or right), and those he was incorrect on in red (more than 1 rank off). This was done solely to see how his views reflect those of the other voting members. Again, FK, great thread!!!

Votes Received

Metropolis (35)

Comic Link (32)

Heritage (31)

Harley Yee (30)

Doug Sulipa (29)

Bob Storms (26)

Steve Ritter/Matt Nelson (26)

Ted VanLiew (25)

Mile High (24)

Dave Kapelka (23)

Pedigree (23)

Richard Evans (23)

Brent Moeshlin (22)

Motor City Comics (22)

Dale Roberts (21)

Joe Verenault (20)

Highest Vote Getters In Each Category

ComicLink 1ST (13)

Metropolis 2ND (10)

Metropolis 3RD TIE (6)

Heritage 3RD TIE (6)

Harley Yee 4TH (7)

Harley Yee 5TH (8)

Harley Yee 6TH (5)

Ted VanLiew 7TH (4)

Brent Moeshlin 8TH TIE (4)

Dave Kapelka 8TH TIE (4)

Dave Kapelka 9TH (3)

Mile High 10TH (5)

Doug Sulipa Hon. Men. TIE (10)

Dave Kapelka Hon. Men. TIE (10)

Dale Roberts Hon. Men. TIE (10)

Richard Evans Hon. Men. (12)

Mile High Hon. Men. (13)

Ranking By Average Vote

1 Comic Link (273)

2 Metropolis (250)

3 Heritage (240)

4 Harley Yee (194)

5 Bob Storms (167)

6 Doug Sulipa (145)

7 Pedigree (122)

8 Steve Ritter/Matt Nelson (116)

9 Ted VanLiew (114)

10 Richard Evans (98)

Hon. Men. Motor City Comics (87)

Hon. Men. Joe Verenault (80)

Hon. Men. Dave Kapelka (79)

Hon. Men. Brent Moeshlin (78)

Hon. Men. Mile High (75)

Hon. Men. Dale Roberts (73)

FK's Ranking

10 Mile High Comics

9 Pedigree Comics

8 Dave Kapelka

7 Bob Storms

6 Harley Yee

5 Steve Ritter/Matt Nelson

4 Doug Sulipa

3 Heritage Comics

2 Metropolis Comics

1 Comiclink

hm: Joe Verenault

hm: Motor City Comics

hm: Richard Evans

hm: Brent Moeshlin

hm: Dale Roberts

hm: Ted VanLiew

All information taken from the "New Rankings for Dealers--Who Are the Top 10?" Poll (see hyperlink above) at approx. 9:00 this morning.

What is the point of trumpeting out a book like that? Jesus, man, have a bit more couth than that

I'm uncouth just because I asked about the grade of a book? I've never bought from Bob Storms, and I thought it was strange that two Hangman's were overgraded considering the overwhelming consensus is that Bob is a great grader of raw books.

If you bought either one sight unseen as a VF/NM would you be happy? If someone here ordered that from Mile High Chuck there'd be 3 pages about how sloppy his grading is.

I guess I'm just angry and uncouth to post a scan of two books from a top 10 dealer's list...

If I bought that sight unseen as a VF/NM I'd want my money back,and I imagine you did as well. I also imagine that refund was not all that hard to get. Was it? That is just as vital in determing who is a good dealer-the ease of getting your money back if not satisfied.

Actually again I've never bought from Bob as I collect one publisher (MLJ/Archie) and he usually doesn't have any books I'd want. He was mentioned in the beginning of this thread so it's really just as simple as I went to his website and saw 2 book that I might want; then I saw the assigned grades and posted them here. I'm not trying to single Bob out as I don't know the man - I'm just trying to get a feel for his grading of golden age. I was trying to get a consensus on whether he grades "soft" on golden age (but perhaps tight on silver?).

If it was just one I might not have said anything, but I thought both the Hangman #4 and #6 were both way overgraded.

I would like to know why this is uncouth, and why this would warrant a somewhat smart-alecky PM from Mr. Storms himself this morning. Believe it or not, I don't have an "agenda" other than to find out how accurate dealers I've haven't done business with before grade.

I think it's fair to point something out regarding grading... but take a look at other GA books he has on his site including the Cap Comics 41 and others that I think are graded accurately. I feel Bob is very accurate on his raw grading especially in Silver and Bronze. One of the board members is famous for telling the story of how he pulled a book from one of Bob's regular inventory boxes and it graded 9.8. Look, I've been very pleased with Bob's grading and so have many other people. But I've disagreed with him on the grades of certain books and returns have never been an issue. Likewise, I've sold Bob books and he's disagreed with certain grades I've given books as well. This is the nature of the hobby/business. What I feel is unfair is to single out to examples and then say, does this look (x) to you? Well, that tone implies not one of just questioning but rather confrontational. You are certainly entitled to your opinion and you may even be right on the grade -- but my dispute would be, you can go to every dealer and find grades you disagree with... what's fair is to judge them in the totality.

I think it's fair to point something out regarding grading... but take a look at other GA books he has on his site including the Cap Comics 41 and others that I think are graded accurately. I feel Bob is very accurate on his raw grading especially in Silver and Bronze. One of the board members is famous for telling the story of how he pulled a book from one of Bob's regular inventory boxes and it graded 9.8. Look, I've been very pleased with Bob's grading and so have many other people. But I've disagreed with him on the grades of certain books and returns have never been an issue. Likewise, I've sold Bob books and he's disagreed with certain grades I've given books as well. This is the nature of the hobby/business. What I feel is unfair is to single out to examples and then say, does this look (x) to you? Well, that tone implies not one of just questioning but rather confrontational. You are certainly entitled to your opinion and you may even be right on the grade -- but my dispute would be, you can go to every dealer and find grades you disagree with... what's fair is to judge them in the totality.

Again, I only collect MLJ's. Bob has a Hangman 4,5,6 and a Black Hood #25 with no scan (I'm assuming it's a Top-Notch #25). The #5 looked ok to me, but the #4 and #6 didn't. I don't collect Timely so why would I look at the Cap 41? In my eyes it was 2 out of 3 being off-graded, so I made mention of it. There was no "tone" that was confrontational; that's your knee-jerk reaction to defend a dealer who's done right by you in the past, which believe it or not I do understand. I probably would've said the same thing if someone posted a critical scan of a Jim Payette book on here.

On a side note, Bob co-owns these books with another dealer and I don't think he graded them. He PM'd me that they will be regraded soon. So again, Bob's a good dealer and I have no axe to grind - just looking for another resource to buy funny books from.

Well, this is exactly my point. Pulling two books out of x hundred and saying "everyone loves this guy's grading but hey look at these! Are these graded well? Huh? Are they?" in the middle of a thread like that just seems like a non-productive way of discussing the issue.

I could disagree with any of Brian's points about any of the dealers, but dragging out examples of those disagreements for public consumption smacks of poor manners to me, especially when the evidence is that the number of undergraded or correctly graded books far outweighs the examples of missed grades or the like.

And Rocketeer - dude, I'm not angry, not even in the least bit. I dislike :baiting: but should have used it in this case

Sal, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. To me, that's what dealer threads are all about, and open discussion is what these forums are all about.

3) Heritage Comics: Some of the biggest books and highest values are still achieved by Heritage. After unveiling some major collections over the past couple of years, many focus on their record breaking prices and incredibly rare books that they have sold. But in their weekly auctions, it is still possible to find many good deals. Their customer service is generally solid and emails are responded to very quickly. There is no doubt that they continue to bring out the high quality material. Ed Jaster and Lon Allen do an excellent job being out in front for Heritage and most of the sales remain on their site. Additionally, Heritage's catalogs are treasures many times for pictures of the rare items they display. There are always questions surrounding Heritage surrounding some of their auctions and their ownership stake in CGC, but their auctions still gain an enormous amount of attention and as long as high quality material is still offered by Heritage, they remain near the top of the comic book dealer heap.

2) Metropolis Comics: Metropolis is still the 800lb gorilla of the hobby, but now a larger part of the market has shifted to auctions and consignment style sites where collectors can sell books directly to other collectors and maximize their profit, Metropolis has declined just slightly. Still, no one matches the breadth of their inventory and nobody runs an operation that is anywhere close to their scale. They obtain all the keys and no book is outside their reach. If you are looking for one stop shopping, Vincent Zurzolo and Steve Fishler have built the number one spot. Their pricing, while often criticized, is high, but not as outrageous as many portray it. They are very professional and friendly and while sometimes over anxious to close a deal, Metropolis' customer service is near the top of the hobby. There is no one on par with Metropolis in the dealer community for GA, SA and BA books. Metropolis recently expanded into an auction style site with Comic Connect... if that begins to gain some steam, you may well see Metropolis once again be the most powerful and important dealer in our hobby.

I agree mostly except I would switch positions between these two. Heritage creates way more "buzz" these days. Maybe with Comicconnect Metro can regain some of that, but it hasn't happened yet.

Don't know if you guys know Bruno from Montreal but he is a great grader and always has really nice books. He's more of a hobbyist than a dealer but has tough books, hi grades and a huge wall at every con. Check him out. Him and his wife Sylvia should be in Chicago this year.

R.

And he owes me $500 I will never see...

I’ll chime in.

Never used Mile High – Have heard nothing but bad about them.

Never used Pedigree – Ultra HG slabbed Marvels just not my thing

Never used Harley – No reason, just haven’t.

Never used Kapelka – Don’t even know who that is.

Never used Nelson/Ritter – Although I’m eyeing a couple things on their site….

Never used Heritage – And never will. I believe corruption rules the day over there.

Comiclink – Great resource for comics, super service, nice selection, mediocre website, solid shipping, and a nice place to easily sell slabs. One of my favorite places to browse.

Metro – Have used them a few times, with mixed results. The service has been solid and the people friendly. Bottom line there….if you’re going to charge those super high prices, you better be damn sure on those grades. Unfortunately the grading is just too inconsistent for me to keep going back. A last resort.

Storms – Great website, nice prices, solid grading….Bought from him several times and never been unhappy.

Sulipa – Poor website, but they are quick to respond to emails and their service is great. I probably did more business with them than anyone so far this year. If I’m looking for a comic 1975-1982, this is the first place I go. Recommended.

I’ll toss Superworld into the mix - Good website, nice prices and service. The grading needs to tighten up a bit but if you know that going in, you can make offers in accordance with your standards vs. theirs. I’ve gotten a lot of very nice 9.0-ish books from Ted for low prices.

Never used Mile High – Have heard nothing but bad about them.

Never used Pedigree – Ultra HG slabbed Marvels just not my thing

Never used Harley – No reason, just haven’t.

Never used Kapelka – Don’t even know who that is.

Never used Nelson/Ritter – Although I’m eyeing a couple things on their site….

Never used Heritage – And never will. I believe corruption rules the day over there

:o

FK, I like this idea a lot and I think it will have the added benefit of providing some great information to newer members/collectors looking for a reliable mail order/online comic dealer to work with! Just as a means of balancing this thread out, I added a poll with each named dealer to see how the rest of the boards' thought line up with yours!

Top Ten Dealer's Poll

I'm proctoring exams all day tomorrow, so I'll try to run up an average of where everyone's polling results are sitting. (thumbs u It will give me something to do. :)

As promised to read, enjoy, or disregard completely at your leisure!

First number cruncher for you is the Total Number of Votes Received. Initially, I wasn't even planning on including these numbers since ideally there would be an equal number of votes for each dealer/company. However, I found that this was not the case most likely accounting for voters who abstained from certain dealers/companies out of a lack of knowledge, or some other deciding factor.

Second, the #2 table has the top vote getters in each category 1st-10th place + Honorable mentions with the exact number of votes for that category in parenthesis. You'll notice some dealers/companies appear twice which is why I listed the number of votes. For example, while Mile High scored the most votes for the 10th place position, the majority of its votes fell in the Honorable Mention category. So, clearly most board members who voted feel MH is more worthy of an Honorable Mention than an actual placement on the Top Ten List.

The drawback to this is some dealers/companies whose votes were evenly distributed across the rankings did not garner sufficient votes to secure a placement in any category (Steve Ritter/Matt Nelson, Pedigree, Joe Verenault, Motor City Comics).

Finally, the third table attempts to come up with an average Top Ten ranking based on members votes. I assigned a weighted value to each place, and multiplied this value by the number of votes. From there, I determined who had the highest average and ranked the dealers/companies accordingly. Obviously, those dealers/companies who received more votes will be more highly favored to place well putting those who received less votes at a disadvantage depending on their general ranking. Hopefully, I crunched these numbers correctly. I am an English guy, however, so I make no promises. ;)

Votes Received

Metropolis (35)

Comic Link (32)

Heritage (31)

Harley Yee (30)

Doug Sulipa (29)

Bob Storms (26)

Steve Ritter/Matt Nelson (26)

Ted VanLiew (25)

Mile High (24)

Dave Kapelka (23)

Pedigree (23)

Richard Evans (23)

Brent Moeshlin (22)

Motor City Comics (22)

Dale Roberts (21)

Joe Verenault (20)

Highest Vote Getters In Each Category

ComicLink 1ST (13)

Metropolis 2ND (10)

Metropolis 3RD TIE (6)

Heritage 3RD TIE (6)

Harley Yee 4TH (7)

Harley Yee 5TH (8)

Harley Yee 6TH (5)

Ted VanLiew 7TH (4)

Brent Moeshlin 8TH TIE (4)

Dave Kapelka 8TH TIE (4)

Dave Kapelka 9TH (3)

Mile High 10TH (5)

Doug Sulipa Hon. Men. TIE (10)

Dave Kapelka Hon. Men. TIE (10)

Dale Roberts Hon. Men. TIE (10)

Richard Evans Hon. Men. (12)

Mile High Hon. Men. (13)

Ranking By Average Vote

1 Comic Link (273)

2 Metropolis (250)

3 Heritage (240)

4 Harley Yee (194)

5 Bob Storms (167)

6 Doug Sulipa (145)

7 Pedigree (122)

8 Steve Ritter/Matt Nelson (116)

9 Ted VanLiew (114)

10 Richard Evans (98)

Hon. Men. Motor City Comics (87)

Hon. Men. Joe Verenault (80)

Hon. Men. Dave Kapelka (79)

Hon. Men. Brent Moeshlin (78)

Hon. Men. Mile High (75)

Hon. Men. Dale Roberts (73)

All information taken from the "New Rankings for Dealers--Who Are the Top 10?" Poll (see hyperlink above) at approx. 9:00 this morning.

:applause: EXCELLENT PRESENTATION.This was close to the order that I had.This should be a good tool to encourage us to check other sites.I based my voting on who provided the most material that I like,naturally.Another factor is the amount of SCANNED inventory and I also factored in archived sales data...as I find that infomation great for research and a SUBSTANTIAL aid in making an informed buying decision.As much as I love Metro...I also had to give them a punishment demerit for not setting up at Baltimore :baiting: .GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Mr. Storms is my number one guy because of his grading and acceptance of offers on his books. Plus, he's been getting in some great DC's lately.

Sulipa is a champ grader but, as mentioned before, bad web site. However, he makes up for this by responding to wantlist e-mails promptly.

I just ordered 2 books from Steve Ritter's site and his prices are fair. Only other experience was a purchase of an Astonishing 30 that he stated was an 8.0...he inspected the book before shipping and decided it was a 7.0 and adjusted the price accordingly...now that is a top-notch dealer in my book

Clink is great and I buy from them often and move pretty close to every book I've ever put up for sale.

Heritage is level with Clink...I disregard their 19% because I factor that into my bids(really don't understand why buyers complain). Now if I was the seller... different story.

Was PGC Mint mentioned...another great guy who accepts reasonable offers. I have bought a few books from him and was pleased.

I won't criticize anyone on the list Brian made, but if I didn't mention them it is probably due to grading issues or not having dealt with them.

Does Jim Payette just not sell enough to make the list? I've spent a few thousand with him and always been very pleased with the grading and professionalism.

Does any body have a good dealer opinion on the best dealers to get HG “raw” books from? :gossip:

Meaning 9.2 and above.

There are some great dealers out there, but some will just submit the best stuff to CGC and put the under copies out as “raw” for sale at the cons.

I have mine that I know, but I was just wondering everyone's else's opinion.