• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do You Think This Todd McFarlane Signature Is Legit?

39 posts in this topic

I'm cruising the ComicConnect auction listings that will be ending in a few hours and I see a Spider-Man #1 in 9.4 (Q) signed by Todd McFarlane. When I looked at the picture, however, the signature did not look like Todd's. I'm sure Kris (thecollector) will know better than most, but what are the rest of your collective thoughts?

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=279332&enlarge=2

And here is an example of a legitimate one (witnessed by Jespersen/Kris):

SignedASM298-Front.jpg

I'm not looking to buy it--though this issue is one I'm looking to have signed by Todd (the silver edition though). I just saw it and it struck me as not looking quite right. And if it is legit, I see no reason why this wouldn't be worth the same as a blue or yellow. I understand the technical reason why, but it would defy common sense. Missing piece? Sure, GLOD away. Unconfirmed signature? Nope. Just me though.

I've got to vote no, it's not legit. Looking at what passes for "Todd," what are the dots? I've never seen an exampler where he uses dots on anything. He also left off the beginning of the "M" and the "F" looks lazier than any examples I've seen of his signature.

All that being said, it's not unheard of to have a person alter their sig slightly, but it generally happens over time and isn't an isolated occurrance.

Right, my thoughts exactly. Plus, from everything I have heard about Todd, he is really a "pro-fan" type of guy. With that in mind, letting himself sign like that compared to his normal signature seems to run counter to taking time for his fans. I could be reading too much into it, but... I don't think I am.

I put my money on it being a fake.Letters are too small.Most McFarlane sigs are large and bold.

I'd have to go with bill as well and say "NO WAY"

I just check my silver web #1 with todds sig and it doesn't match mine at all & I know mine is legit.. todd spells his name very clear...

Definitely looks a bit off to me as well. I'd have to lean towards it not being legit.

From all the CGC SS examples I've seen of his sig, his name is usually very well defined, bold letters, readable, the vertical strokes are straight and not curved, and his first name tends to be offset above his last. The linked GLOD doesn't even come close.

Yeah, but even in that example, he signed "T. McFarlane" which means the dot makes since, as it ecomes a period. The signature in question has two dots, and still lacks the first upward line on the "M."

Oddly, here's another example like the one in question eBay auction. It's even signed in the same place.

I don't know what to think.....it's unusual to have such a significant variation in a signature, even more so to go from a small scrawl to a large and bold, easily read signature. I don't see enough of a market for this signature to fake it, it's not like Neil Armstrong that could bring in anywhere from $600-1800 by itself.

Personally, I'd stay away from these, but I'm no longer certain that it's a fake. (shrug)

Another thing that makes me think it's fake is the direction of the pen stroke on horizontal part of the letter "T". In Mac Man's example, the stroke looks to me to be going clearly in a left to right direction, while the GLOD's version appears to go the other way. It may be the way his sig used to look, but people usually don't change the way they write letters.

hm