• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicConnect Auction...

34 posts in this topic

Some good stuff in the auction closing tonight. Anyone bidding/winning?

The books I am bidding on close later.

As an aside - I was interested in the Startling Comics #53 but was concerned on the grade. It is the D copy and listed as a CConect verified grade of 6.5 unrestored yet Heritage sold this same copy in 2006 with this description:

"Startling Comics #53 Davis Crippen ("D" Copy) pedigree (Better Publications, 1948) Condition: VG+. Alex Schomburg airbrush "good girl" cover. Interior artists include Dave Berg and Charles Quinlan.Final issue. Overstreet 2006 VG 4.0 value = $128. From the Crippen Collection."

That seems like quite a difference in grading to increase from a 4.5 to 6.5.

There are some books I am watching, but I have also been concerned about some grading. My issue in particular revolves around the Military #1 which looks like it has a bad trim, but the seller says it is somehow just the result of restoration.

I will be looking at slabbed books or basing my bids on what seems to be worst-case scenarios. In your spot, I would assume that HA was more accurate.

There are some books I am watching, but I have also been concerned about some grading. My issue in particular revolves around the Military #1 which looks like it has a bad trim, but the seller says it is somehow just the result of restoration.

I will be looking at slabbed books or basing my bids on what seems to be worst-case scenarios. In your spot, I would assume that HA was more accurate.

EVERY

SINGLE

TIME

EVERY

SINGLE

TIME

I know Metro's grading can be suspect but a 4.5 to 6.5? (shrug)

When did Sotheby's start selling comics again? Are you referring to the Jerry Weist comic auctions on eBay?

I was shut out of the cConnect auctions. They sold a LB Cole cover Capt Flight #11 g for a very reasonable $127. Think a raw g+ eBayed for $250.

Was underbidder on the Superman 53 raw vg+ (looked more like vg-) that hammered at $397. Ostreet in raw vg 4.0 $630.

Hope a forumite grabbed the America's Best 10 raw vg+ (warped) 4.5 for a reasonable $91. Ostreet raw vg 4.0 $110.

Was underbidder on Adventure 91 raw at $26. Front cover was clean in appearance but had been restapled to the spine area. Bargain.

Logan's Run 6 slabbed 8.5 hammered at a mere $5. Nice Gulacy cover and Thanos issue.

As an aside - I was interested in the Startling Comics #53 but was concerned on the grade. It is the D copy and listed as a CConect verified grade of 6.5 unrestored yet Heritage sold this same copy in 2006 with this description:

"Startling Comics #53 Davis Crippen ("D" Copy) pedigree (Better Publications, 1948) Condition: VG+. Alex Schomburg airbrush "good girl" cover. Interior artists include Dave Berg and Charles Quinlan.Final issue. Overstreet 2006 VG 4.0 value = $128. From the Crippen Collection."

I won this Startling last night. This was before I saw this thread - yikes!!!

These were my wins on this auction.

STARTLING COMICS #53 FN+ 6.5 $219.00

(C.Connect Verified Grade unrestored!)

SUB-MARINER COMICS 1941-55 #23 VG/F 5.0 $301.00

(C.Connect Verified Grade unrestored!; scarce! 2nd Namora

Everett art)

SUB-MARINER COMICS 1941-55 #37 VG+ 4.5 $196.00

(C.Connect Verified Grade unrestored!; Everett art)

TIP TOP COMICS #77 F/VF 7.0 $49.00

(CGC white pgs)

WEIRD SCIENCE-FANTASY #28 FN- 5.5 $64.00

(PGX off white pgs; Feldstein-c)

I won this Startling last night. This was before I saw this thread - yikes!!!

Still a nice pick-up...visually, looks closer to Fine than VG+. (thumbs u

Weird assortment of pickups -

Howard Ducks 12 and 13 in 9.8 (would have had no. 4 also, but credit card expired at end of month and they won't let you place bid until its updated, which I found out with 22 seconds to go).

Tales from the Crypt 22 cgc 4.5

Plastic Man 34 for $13 (supposedly 4.5 but I won't bet the house on that)

The prices on their auction were reasonable - compared to GPA, many bargains yesterday. The Military #1 I wanted looked like it was trimmed but I was still willing to go $500 on. Somebody else decided to go $501. Oh well.

I also like that their auctions have staggered finishes. Since I don't deal with too many $300+ books, the shipping can be a significant chunk. I've run into the problem with Heritage were they have one or two books I really want, so I tack on a couple of cheap books only to lose the stuff I really wanted and end up buying just the cheap thrill bid stuff.

I also like that their auctions have staggered finishes. Since I don't deal with too many $300+ books, the shipping can be a significant chunk. I've run into the problem with Heritage were they have one or two books I really want, so I tack on a couple of cheap books only to lose the stuff I really wanted and end up buying just the cheap thrill bid stuff.

lol I hear you...

lol I hear you...

I always get them to 'do not send', until I give the order, on a large colection of books accumulated over multiple auctions with them.

.....and they still manage to frak it up, and double the postage doh!

lol I hear you...

I always get them to 'do not send', until I give the order, on a large colection of books accumulated over multiple auctions with them.

.....and they still manage to frak it up, and double the postage doh!

That's what I was afraid of. I've been paying up because of their 7-day pay or get penalized policy, but I would rather build a pile and ship at once. That seems it could help their business as well because I would be more likely to bid on some books. Of course, my penney ante stuff isn't where they make their real money and the guy who buys an Action #2 wants it NOW regardless of shipping costs.

(Anyone need some high grade Super Friends? - seemed like a good idea at the time)