• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signature Series Opportunities - Wizard World Chicago June 26-29

57 posts in this topic

SPECIAL GUESTS

Warren Ellis

Brian Michael Bendis

Missy Peregrym

Alex Ross (sat only)

Steve Sansweet

FEATURED GUESTS

Mike Choi (Uncanny X-Men Artist)

Tony Daniel (Batman Artist) *Fri & Sat Only

Shane Davis (Superman/Batman Artist)

Adi Granov (Iron Man: Viva Las Vegas Artist)

Geoff Johns (Green Lantern, Action Comics Writer)

Alex Maleev (Daredevil: End of Days, Halo Artist)

Marc Silvestri (X-Men: Messsiah Complex, Top Cow Founder)

Gail Simone (Wonder Woman Writer)

Arthur Suydam (Marvel Zombies Cover Artist)

GUESTS

Sal Abbinanti (Atomika Creator)

Jessica Abel (La Perdida Author)

Brian Azzarello (100 Bullets and "Batman: Gotham Knight" Writer)

Art Baltazar (Tiny Titans Artist)

Joe Benitez (Batman/JLA Artist)

Alan Burnett ("Batman: Gotham Knight" Writer)

Ivan Brandon (Secret Invasion: Home Invasion, Machine Man)

Mitch Breitweiser (Captain America: The Chosen Artist)

Max Brooks (Zombie Survival Guide, World War Z Writer)

Jacen Burrows (Chronicles of Wormwood Artist)

Jim Calafiore (Gotham: Underground Artist)

Dennis Calero (Marvel Comics Writer/Artist)

J. Scott Campbell (Spider-Man Artist)

Tommy Castillo (Tempest, Warhammer Artist)

C.B. Cebulski (The Loners, Avengers Fairy Tales Writer)

William Christensen (Avatar Press Editor-In-Chief)

Olivier Coipel (Thor Artist)

David Finch (Ultimate Ultimatum Artist)

Bryan J.L. Glass (Mice Templar, Magician: Apprentice Artist)

Gris Grimly (Writer/Artist of Wicked Nursery Rhymes)

Gene Ha (Top 10, JLA Artist)

Jeremy Haun (Chuck, Alibi, Two Face: Year One)

Casey Heying (The Oz/Wonderland Chronicles #3 Artist)

Thomas Hodges (Star Wars Artist, MidKnight Creator/Artist)

Eva Hopkins (Dark Ivory Creator)

Greg Horn (Ms. Marvel & Shadow Hunter Cover Artist)

Bob Layton (Comic Legend; Iron Man: Legacy of Doom Inker)

Joe Linsner (Dawn & Dark Ivory Creator/Artist)

Russell Lissau (Batman Strikes Writer)

Aaron Lopresti (Wonder Woman, Incredible Hulk Artist)

Andy MacDonald (NYC Mech, 24Seven)

David Mack (KABUKI Artist/Writer, Daredevil: End of Days Writer)

Matt Madden (A Fine Mess Illustrator)

Matt Martin (Lady Death, Shi, Anna Mercury Cover Artist)

Sean McKeever (Teen Titans Writer)

Angel Medina (Sensational Spider-Man Artist)

Carla Speed McNeil (Cartoonist)

B Clay Moore (Hawaiian , '76, Casey Blue: Beyond Tomorrow)

Mike Norton (Green Arrow/Black Canary Artist)

Mike Perkins (Captain America Artist) Courtesy of Hero Initiative

Humberto Ramos (Uncanny X-Men, Wolverine Artist)

Brian Reed (Avengers Illuminati, Ms. Marvel Writer)

Kenneth Rocafort (Madame Mirage Artist)

Greg Rucka (Final Crisis: Revelation, "Batman: Gotham Knight" Writer)

Billy Tan (Uncanny X-Men Artist)

Bruce Timm (Animator "Batman: Gotham Knight")

Ethan Van Sciver (Green Lantern, Superman/Batman Artist)

Freddie Williams II (Flash Artist)

Mike Wolfer (Gravel Artist)

MEDIA GUESTS

Jeremy Bulloch (Star Wars- Boba Fett)

Lou Ferrigno (TV's Incredible Hulk)

Honky Tonk Man (Wrestling Legend)

Tony Moran (Actor, played Michael Myers in “Halloween” and “Halloween II”; courtesy of Comic City)

Iron Sheik (Wrestling Legend, Howard Stern "Killers of Comedy")

Orli Shoshan (Actress: Star Wars Episode II Attack Of The Clones)

Felix Silla (Adams Family's Cousin It)

George "The Animal" Steele (Wrestling Legend)

http://www.wizardworld.com/guests-ch.html

ONSITE GRADING

Why only moderns for on-site grading Kevin?? With a show as large and successful as Chicago I am surprised CGC wouldn't set up for pre-1975 books. I believe they did so last year at the show. Why the change?

I can answer the question of why it is only Modern books. By the way, last year it was only Modern too. The reason is this: For older books, CGC has to do things like the restoration check, and apparently, only a few of their employees are qualified to grade books older than Modern. Taking one of these key personnel out of the CGC offices for about a week to do on-site grading throws everything off schedule and delays everything coming into their offices and the books waiting to be graded.

Now, this is what they explained to me. Personally, I love having all levels on-site graded at a big show. They offered all levels of onsite grading at Wizard World Long Beach a few years ago, and I dropped $2,500 in grading fees on the 1st day alone. If they pick a big show, or an East Coast show with a lot of Golden and Silver Age collectors, they will get enough business to justify their costs. But I don't think we'll see all levels of onsite grading until they have a few more certified personnel for grading older books.

Also, they take up a lot of space to run their onsite grading operations, and not every convention center has the free space (or the con organizers can't provide the space) to have them set everything up. I think the Chicago convention has the space to accommodate CGC, but I'm not 100% sure.

If anyone from CGC is reading this post, PLEASE BRING ONSITE GRADING FOR ALL LEVELS BACK! :) Especially to West Coast schlubs like me that hate boxing up stuff or dropping off big stacks at every convention. Thank you.

Joel

P.S. MutantKeys, what do you want to get signed by Silvestri? I might be able to help with that.

I can answer the question of why it is only Modern books. By the way, last year it was only Modern too. The reason is this: For older books, CGC has to do things like the restoration check, and apparently, only a few of their employees are qualified to grade books older than Modern. Taking one of these key personnel out of the CGC offices for about a week to do on-site grading throws everything off schedule and delays everything coming into their offices and the books waiting to be graded.

Now, this is what they explained to me. Personally, I love having all levels on-site graded at a big show. They offered all levels of onsite grading at Wizard World Long Beach a few years ago, and I dropped $2,500 in grading fees on the 1st day alone. If they pick a big show, or an East Coast show with a lot of Golden and Silver Age collectors, they will get enough business to justify their costs. But I don't think we'll see all levels of onsite grading until they have a few more certified personnel for grading older books.

Also, they take up a lot of space to run their onsite grading operations, and not every convention center has the free space (or the con organizers can't provide the space) to have them set everything up. I think the Chicago convention has the space to accommodate CGC, but I'm not 100% sure.

If anyone from CGC is reading this post, PLEASE BRING ONSITE GRADING FOR ALL LEVELS BACK! :) Especially to West Coast schlubs like me that hate boxing up stuff or dropping off big stacks at every convention. Thank you.

Joel

P.S. MutantKeys, what do you want to get signed by Silvestri? I might be able to help with that.

Thanks Joel - appreciate the info - I mistakenly thought that they did all tiers last year at the Chicago show. Looking on the bright side, I'll drop off a few moderns for the weekend and get those done! I'll just submit the rest of my books as usual.

Drew

Desert Wind Comics is accepting submissions for Todd McFarlane. BUT I must inform everyone that due to the nature of this last minute announcement by Todd that I can not guarentee getting all books signed by Todd. If you are interested, please PM us.

Chandler Rice

Desert Wind Comics