• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2 JIM #84's....which would you choose?

35 posts in this topic

Ah - Roy - you bought the 5.5 from Bob Storms, didn't you? I looked at that copy earlier this year & almost pulled the trigger. I liked it enough that I would've kept it & sold my own 7.5 copy! It's a very solid book with many positives. Contrary to others, the date stamp doesn't really bother me as much as the printer defect running right across Thor on the nicer copy. Comparing the two, I would keep the lower-graded one.

Let us know what you decide to do!!

You have a 7.5?

hm

Roy - I tease you with my old-school labeled copy...

jim84rb1.jpg

Ah - Roy - you bought the 5.5 from Bob Storms, didn't you? I looked at that copy earlier this year & almost pulled the trigger. I liked it enough that I would've kept it & sold my own 7.5 copy! It's a very solid book with many positives. Contrary to others, the date stamp doesn't really bother me as much as the printer defect running right across Thor on the nicer copy. Comparing the two, I would keep the lower-graded one.

You have a 7.5?

hm

jim84rb1.jpg

Every time I see a comic like this I cry a little about how nice it COULD have been without that crease :(

I was in SC a few years ago looking at a collection. There were some killer books. I got 2 copies of FF #12 (7.5 and 7.0) and FF #13 (8.0 and 9.0) out of the deal as well as a bunch of other books.

The most amazing book of the lot though, was a stunning copy of TOS #39. I saw the book through the bag and I almost screamed at how nice it was. I figured it to be an easy 9.0.

:o

So I'm carefully pulling the book out of the bag...savoring the book...thinking I just hit the mother load...and then I flip the book over. The last person to look at the book dropped it in the bag and put a 4 or 5" dog ear crease across the lower back cover.

:pullhair:

I immediately called the owner (who was in the next room) to show him...we both stared at it for a while...that was it...I ended up walking away with about 10 early FF books.

What a find that would have been.....

I don't think the printing defect is that bad and I hate spine stress, so I would keep the 7.5. The only way I would choose the 5.5 is if the pages were much worse on the 7.5.

Ken

After thinking about it all week I am leaning heavily towards keeping the 7.5...the browns are richer, the corners and edges are sharp and the spine is gorgeous...all important in my books...the printing defect bothers me much less than a worn book.

hm

Roy,

I'm glad you started this post. It's interesting to see what folks think in regards to collecting & what they would keep in this instance. At least if you keep the nicer copy, you should always be able to 'upgrade sideways' without too much trouble in the future. When you do, please post a picture!!

...the 7.5,...the date stamp on the 5.5 is far more distracting to my eye than the printers defect on the 7.5,...

Agree, 7.5...the date stamp and the spine wear look worse than the printers defect. I actually think you should sell both and maybe a couple other comics and go after a beautiful copy.

You have a 7.5?

hm

jim84rb1.jpg

Every time I see a comic like this I cry a little about how nice it COULD have been without that crease :(

Ditto.

Coulda, woulda ,shoulda been a 9.0... :sorry:

I'd sell them both off and buy a sweet early Legion appearance. :headbang:

:baiting:

doh!

There is no reply to this madness.

I'd sell them both off and buy a sweet early Legion appearance. :headbang:

:baiting:

doh!

There is no reply to this madness.

Saturn Girl rocks. Tho I think they shoulda named her Uranus Girl.

I once dated Uranus girl. :whistle: