• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Time Capsule: Pictures from my room circa Dec. 1979

42 posts in this topic

I found these pictures I took when I was 13. It was of my room right after Christmas 1979. There a bit grainy but I could make out some books on my wall. (My Wall Of Fame at the time. lol )

b179.jpg[/img]

This must have been the "current" wall. I still own a few of those books, but some I got rid of 20+ years ago. (And now I'm trying to buy them again... )

b279.jpg[/img]

This one had some drawings in a book, next to the Alien Movie book. (I believe I drew Batman from B&B #150 & Dr. Fate from a DC Superstars.) Notice the Doc Savage books and Alien doll. Still have them though I swear I liked the Doc Savage books for the covers and premise vs. the actual stories. (Always felt like Scooby Doo in that it was some normal guys behind the mystery.) Dig that 70's radio and cassette deck. There are cartridges for a 1001 Questions game. They were superhero ones.

b379.jpg[/img]

I've mentioned that I had a plastic, wall mount Spider-Man and here he is in one of the pictures. (He finally fell one too many times.) In that same picture are some SA JLA's above the window. I believe #61 and #64 are there. Can't make the others out.

The other picture has Batman #198 (I still have it though beat up.), a Classics Illustrated that's long gone, Iron Man #11 (which was in nice shape but also long gone.), World's Finest #177 & #138, both I still have. I ordered the WF #177 from a dealer (Bell?? Maybe. ) and it's still in great shape. The last one was Superman #225 which I got rid of in college but recently stumbled across at the Motor City Show. I wanted to get it again, but couldn't remember the number. By chance I saw it and bought it. Good memories.

Funny how I thought this stuff was "wall" books in 1979. Of course, back then at age 13, I thought almost all the stories were great and read the books more than once. (Very carefully though. lol )

Sorry for the "gap" in the pictures. I thought I had corrected it. (shrug)

You were a Hardy Boys reader?

Jim

I think I read one. They were given to me. I was never that into them. I'm not sure if they're still around, maybe in the attic. Good eye!

You were a Hardy Boys reader?

Jim

I loved the Hardy Boys. :luhv:

Also read Encyclopedia Brown, The Three Investigators (Pete, Bob and Jupiter Jones).

Not to mention all the Choose your Own Adventures books. :cloud9:

I think the only ones I can pick out are a Superboy, Shogun, Micronauts and Savage She-Hulk.

Good eye. There's also an Action #500, Man-Thing #1 (1979 version) and DC Comics Presents #1.

I think the only ones I can pick out are a Superboy, Shogun, Micronauts and Savage She-Hulk.

Good eye. There's also an Action #500, Man-Thing #1 (1979 version) and DC Comics Presents #1.

Forgot Time Warp #1.

I remember how cool it was to have a set of encyclopedias and a globe in my room. It meant that I could wait until late Sunday night to do my research paper instead of having to spend the weekend at the library. :cloud9:

I remember how cool it was to have a set of encyclopedias and a globe in my room. It meant that I could wait until late Sunday night to do my research paper instead of having to spend the weekend at the library. :cloud9:
:screwy:

We didn't have the internets and Google back then. oldie.gif

Did you have a Britannica set?

Yes, with the Updated Yearbooks for the current event stuff. Did you copy the information word for word or did you try to try to make it sound slightly different? :whistle:

Yes, with the Updated Yearbooks for the current event stuff. Did you copy the information word for word or did you try to try to make it sound slightly different? :whistle:

Are you kidding? He had the Encyclopedia Canadiannica. lol

Are you kidding? He had the Encyclopedia Canadiannica. lol

...both volumes,.... :roflmao:

Nice photos- my room had the same fancy cabinetry. I was 13 in 1979 as well- the year of my Bar Mitzvah. I kept my comics in my cabinets, but, although I don't have the actual photo of my room, this was on my wall:

59424-farrah01.jpg.b331b5b86f29bd519964b7b9cdfb867a.jpg

Dufus, I remember the ads for the Britannica sets back in the day. No google need, dorkiest dorkette

You can't see it in the picture, but I had the Yearbooks from 1958 to 1969 also. I used to flip through them a lot. Looking at the Obituary section comes to mind. Seeing when a certain famous person died. Sheesh, sounds kind of morbid now... lol

Nice photos- my room had the same fancy cabinetry. I was 13 in 1979 as well- the year of my Bar Mitzvah. I kept my comics in my cabinets, but, although I don't have the actual photo of my room, this was on my wall:

Who didn't have that on their wall? lol(worship)