• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Auctions on eBay: A Dying Breed... Here's the spin

21 posts in this topic

I like the idea of combining with a buy it now, auctions are just so much more FUN...and at least you have a shot of getting a bargain...

I don't shop at high priced, brick and mortar stores...you can ALWAYS find stuff at high prices.

I like the idea of combining with a buy it now, auctions are just so much more FUN...and at least you have a shot of getting a bargain...

I don't shop at high priced, brick and mortar stores...you can ALWAYS find stuff at high prices.

I got a couple of great Stumbo CGC slabs last night on eBay - way cheaper than you'd expect to even find the raw books. I know, I know...., Harvey File copies.......,

84b4_1.JPGc26e_1.JPG

Interesting Monstro, are you saying that sniping has caused the downfall of eBay auctions?

Nope, and getting rid of sniping would make the situation much worse.

People are getting more impatient, and want to buy things immediately, rather than fool around with an auction. I agree with this to a point, but if EBay started something utterly idiotic like "extended time bids" then that would extend the ending times further and create even more buyer antipathy.

Again, this is the critical point:

Not all eBay sellers have the luxury of branching out on their own or moving to a third-party site. When it comes to auctions, eBay is one of the few games in town. Even though growth is slowing in eBay's auction business, the site has nearly 90 million active users. Other auction sites such as Ubid.com (ubhi.ob.OB) have far fewer visitors. Ten-year-old Ubid had 181,000 active bidders in the first quarter, according to its quarterly report.

Get me a site where I can have that many eyeballs, and I'll move. Until there is one, this is all just noise.

I have been an eBay guy for almost ten years at first it was fun you logged on you bid you won or lost. Then I started to notice that I started to lose everything in the last few seconds got mad starting watching the auctions to no avail. needless to say I went the snipe route and it seems to be ok doesn't let people know there is interest in an item and may save you enough to cover your snipe fee without the price being driven up. I will say the BIN is great if you can find the deal before someone else does but it also seems that those prices are getting way to inflated too. Any book slabbed doesn't mean it's worth one hundred dollars duh. Keep this in mind if you see a silver age book with 25 bids on it more than likely those bids drive up the price and even then at the end it will get sniped. Auction services dying NO I don't think so but they are sure morphed from what they were ten years ago. New to the forums but not new to internet collecting. I live in the hot bid of no good material so this is how I've done it forever.

Again, this is the critical point:

Not all eBay sellers have the luxury of branching out on their own or moving to a third-party site. When it comes to auctions, eBay is one of the few games in town. Even though growth is slowing in eBay's auction business, the site has nearly 90 million active users. Other auction sites such as Ubid.com (ubhi.ob.OB) have far fewer visitors. Ten-year-old Ubid had 181,000 active bidders in the first quarter, according to its quarterly report.

Get me a site where I can have that many eyeballs, and I'll move. Until there is one, this is all just noise.

I've gotta ditto FD.

If your item for sale WILL sale at an auction house then it is rare enough to sell most anyplace.

But your standard comics need many viewers and buyers and THAT is what ebay still brings. And alas, I DO have standard comics. lol

When you factor that eBay's latest policy and fee changes have de-emphasized the smaller sellers and "deal"/flea market environment and instead grooming a retail culture, it is very obvious to come to the conclusion that there will be fewer items on eBay, with the ones remaining being retail-priced "no bargain" items. If, as the article indicates, that bins are the trend, then I would rather buy it from a recongnizable brand that has good customer service policies.

I really feel like we are going back to our roots, where brand recognition and customer service will be very important, since eBay is negating these elements.

I believe that the auction environment as we knew it is slowly disappearing as more business entrepeneurs go out on their own. This makes me feel like the companies that gather products from multiple sites and presents it in one seamless interface (buy.com, etc) may stand a chance at becoming more important in this changing trend.

When buying I use the best offer option alot. I know what I am willing to pay so I usually make an offer. If I win great, if I don't that's also fine, not like there won't be another XXX listed in the next few days. For selling I usually go with the auction style sale.

wallmart is setting up a free online classified service. dunno how its going to work.

Probably like eBay's Want it Now... I can smell the stench from here.

It's actually suppose to be more akin to Craig's List and eBay's Kajiji and is powered by oodle.com. WSJ article