• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best DC WWII cover?

87 posts in this topic

Just a few weeks after Pearl Harbor was bombed and the U.S. entered the war, Fawcett came out with this one on Capt. Marvel #8, which is my favorite cover.

I know Fawcetts have fallen out of style, but they produced some incredible covers during the war.

CaptainMarvel8CGC50.jpg

I sure love Mac Raboy Captain Marvel Jr. and Master covers.

All of the above examples are great, but my favorite DC war cover is Superman 23.

superman23.jpg

Superman actually looks pizzed off!

On most of the DC war books Superman is smiling as he "Slaps a Jap" or Batman is happy as he hands out ammo on the front lines.

But here Superman is definitely getting ready to kick some Nazi asses.

And they obviously know it.

Does More Fun #54 meet your criteria for a WWII cover? If it qualifies, that might be my vote. But then there's Adventure #79, and Boy Commandos #6...

Tough question. I'll think about it.

I suppose it does. It's kind of in that category of "yeah, they're German, but we're not comfortable putting a swastika or any other clear identifier on yet" like Action 35 (maybe 31 also?). Adventure 65 is similar, and a great cover to boot.

How could I forget Adventure 79??? And a lot of the Boy Commandos run is excellent, as are the early WFs. This is getting less clear...

All of the above examples are great, but my favorite DC war cover is Superman 23.

On most of the DC war books Superman is smiling as he "Slaps a Jap" or Batman is happy as he hands out ammo on the front lines.

Yeah, Action 59 & 63 have that same "uh oh" look. But for the most part, they weren't terribly threatening (e.g. Supes 12, come on...).

Now that I think about it, I really like Supes 18 too. Dang it!

I really like Supes 18 too. Dang it!

I like that one as well. And Adventure 79, if not #1, has to be in the top few.

A couple of others to consider...

Green Lantern 3

Flash 31

(thumbs u (thumbs u

I really like Supes 18 too. Dang it!

I like that one as well. And Adventure 79, if not #1, has to be in the top few.

A couple of others to consider...

Green Lantern 3

Flash 31

Good choices. Flash 14 is kinda cool too.

Couldnt agree more. Here is my humble copy.

Superman23.jpg

I agree with Green Lantern #3 as one of the top few.

I've always had a fondness for Adventure #65, and Action #63 above most other DC war covers.

All of the Action War covers are pretty sweet but I also like #40, #54 and #62.

You go for the 17 over 14?

Yeah, I prefer the war covers that show the enemy, especially HItler and Hirohito.

I agree - #14 is the more iconic cover and an undisputable classic, but If I had to choose I'd take #17.

Adventure #79 is probably my all time favorite DC war cover though - somebody post a copy - please.

I prefer the non-super hero covers. To me this depicts a soldier in anger over the death of his fellow troops on the beaches of Normandy:

GICombat78CGCSS-2.jpg

Yep, my favorite war cover too....and high in the running for my favorite cover of all time.